Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-2002, 03:32 PM   #1
Grand-Ranger
Galvatron

Location: Everywhere I wanna go its already where I am,cause I am already there
I have been trying and trying to think of a good use for cats, but nothing comes to mind.

My dad brought home two little kittens last sunday. Sure there fun to watch and all, but what purpous do they serve?

Protection? Not litley

Compaionship? There not that great of companions, I mean they just come to you when they want somthing to eat.

Hunting or other outdoors type stuff? Yeah, right.

Entertainment? Just about any dog with a lick of intelligence is much more entertaining.

Finally, one of the reasons most people get cats- Keeping the mice away. Have you ever heard of a Rat Terrier?

Then there is the cutness fator. Well, Any small dog is just as cute.

I am not saying you cant like cats. Each to there own. I just cant find a use for them..
Old 01-24-2002, 03:37 PM   #2
Talthyr Malkaviel
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Maybe they think your only use is to feed and protect them, why should they have to be the ones doing all the giving?? [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-24-2002, 03:37 PM   #3
Neb
Account deleted by Request

I know! Roll them up into a little fluffy ball, get your baseball bat and.... Voila! Cat balls! Use them after dark, you can always hear them even if you can't see them! [img]tongue.gif[/img] just kidding of course [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 01-24-2002, 03:57 PM   #4
catzenpewters
Manshoon

As a huge cat fan (can you tell from my name?) I have to answer this one.

Protection? Not likely? True! But possible? Yes! There are many true stories of heroic actions on the part of cats, from warning of fires to attacking intruders. Cats can even predict earthquakes, and better than dogs. Their excellent hearing makes them good 'watchcats' even if the majority won't defend you.

Companionship? Definitely! Maybe some cats are aloof, but like people they have their own personalities, and also respond to how they are treated. My cats are very affectionate, coming to greet me when I come home, and always sitting with (or on) me. They show their affection frequently by licking me (I don't think I taste good enough for it to be for any other reason). They have been given a lot of love and affection, and just like people, that makes them far happier to return the favour.

Hunting or other outdoors type stuff? You're right on that one. They're a little small for hunting. Now get me an ocelot or something and that would be pretty useful!

Entertainment? Well, that's a matter of opinion. Different people find different things entertaining. You may feel dogs are more entertaining then cats - fair enough, you are obviously not a cat lover. Similarly, I have found little entertainment in most dogs I know. You're not likely to find entertainment value in something that is not one of your interests.

Finally, one of the reasons most people get cats - keeping the mice away. Actually, most people get cats for quite different reasons, but we won't get into that. I don't have a mouse problem, but my furrballs are death to spiders, flies and other things I'd just as soon not have too near me.

Then there is the cuteness factor. Not all cats are cute, that's for sure. Kittens, yes. But then so are puppies and most other baby animals. Again, it's a matter of opinion. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. There are a lot of people who find art, animals or scenery attractive that I don't, so if they don't like the look of cats that's fine. But I do.

One big (in my mind) advantage that cats have over dogs is that you don't need to walk them several times a day and pick up their poop, or police your yard if you have one. Also, most dogs are not suitable to condo living - it's unfair to them, even most small dogs want more room. Cats are usually quite content in a smaller, indoor area.

But useful? Well, there are a million things I have or do that are not useful. Reading fantasy, playing RPGs, watching movies or TV - not useful. Dogs? Only a very few are working dogs and are useful, and none of them are applicable to me.

Pets aren't about being useful - they're about the pleasure they bring to you, and you returning the favour. Anything more is a bonus.

[ 01-24-2002: Message edited by: catzenpewters ]

Old 01-24-2002, 03:59 PM   #5
Mouse
Ironworks Moderator

Well, there are a few good ideas here and even more here [img]graemlins/cat3.gif[/img]

[ 01-24-2002: Message edited by: Mouse ]

Mouse
(Occasional crooner and all round friendly Scottish rodent)
Old 01-24-2002, 04:03 PM   #6
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
Why do they have to be 'useful'? They are creatures, same as us. They are for loving, and for loving you.
Old 01-24-2002, 04:46 PM   #7
AzRaeL StoRmBlaDe
Hathor

I havent been able to figure out a use for cats either. I mean jeez even SOME fish are cool to look at but a cat is just kind of a waste of space to me to have as a pet, that is unless i get to see him kill gophers and stuff out in the yard, i guess then it would be entertaining, but thats the only plus side i could find to a cat, and besides if your just looking for that you can own lizards or snakes and they will kill stuff and look cool
Old 01-24-2002, 04:55 PM   #8
slackerboy
Gold Dragon

they make a decent substitute for toilet paper,
Old 01-24-2002, 05:05 PM   #9
slackerboy
Gold Dragon

they make a decent substitute for toilet paper,
Old 01-24-2002, 05:08 PM   #10
Sorcerer Alex

I am actually rather fond of my pet alligator. It protects me and can hunt for me. It's also a rather good companion. On the other hand, I'm not too happy with my pet rabbit. It can't do either of these things, so I don't like it as much. It doesn't serve any purpose whatsoever....

Grand Ranger, on a more serious note, do you actually think that animals were put on this earth to serve, protect and entertain people like you? That they were created to cater to your every whim? Every single living thing serves its own purpose. Keeping you occupied is every animal's last priority.