Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2001, 07:49 PM   #1
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Can you tell me which you think is the best anti-virus protection I can get? I didn't get any with this machine, and have had no problems, but I think maybe its time I got protected!

------------------

Old 09-21-2001, 07:54 PM   #2
Mirac Honorguard
Red Wizard of Thay

Don't get anti-virus programs, they just run on the background all the time and eat your RAM out of your PC. I use a firewall, just get a free one at http://www.zonelabs.com , it will notice any virus trying to get on your system (from the net that is), when it notice one, it will quarantine it. Then you are able to delete it, or take revenge

------------------
There's something in your eyes, ah no, I see now, it's the reflection of my deadly gaze - Mirac Honorguard
(Necromancer)
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/mirac
Old 09-21-2001, 08:03 PM   #3
Ziroc

Quote:
Originally posted by Fljotsdale:
Can you tell me which you think is the best anti-virus protection I can get? I didn't get any with this machine, and have had no problems, but I think maybe its time I got protected!
The best virii scanner is Norton or McAfee.. check out www.norton.com and see how good they are! They are ALWAYS on top of all the latest virii updates too.. and their updates are easy to do.. Mcafees are kinda confooozing..

I have been using Norton AV Since the 2000 version, and I have yet to go wrong (I got the Nimda virus because I was using Outlook 4 still) and IE 5.01. Agh!

------------------
Ziroc™
Ironworks Webmaster
www.tgeweb.com/ironworks

Old 09-21-2001, 08:15 PM   #4
Silver Cheetah
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Ziroc:
The best virii scanner is Norton or McAfee.. check out www.norton.com and see how good they are! They are ALWAYS on top of all the latest virii updates too.. and their updates are easy to do.. Mcafees are kinda confooozing..

I have been using Norton AV Since the 2000 version, and I have yet to go wrong (I got the Nimda virus because I was using Outlook 4 still) and IE 5.01. Agh!

McAfee, McAfeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

------------------
Old 09-21-2001, 08:22 PM   #5
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Hmm, well I used the latest Norton, and I found it very well, screwy..
I prefer PC Cillin, a very good and agressive antivirus program. That one took care of Nimda for me, even though my upgrades weren´t complete yet. It is lso very nice on your RAM. Check it out with Rambooster, and it doesn´t eat RAM and it keeps both mail, files and internet safe from most viruses! Since I started to use that one I never got any viruses!

It is also upgraded very often with pattern files. They work together with norton and Mc Affe. Mc Affe have had a lot of problems lately with their programs, messed up the puter and so on..'
Also, visit windows update frequently! Download the latest upgrades for IE and Outlook!!!

------------------

Be vevvy qwiet..I´m hunting wabbits...
Wolfgirs lair
once-upon-a-paper
Old 09-21-2001, 08:24 PM   #6
Lord Shield

Z is right. Norton have nimda remover too - this is a free separate download (doesn't take long) - just run it and it will check/clean your machin

------------------
In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is pimp.
Lord Raptor's Site

Old 09-21-2001, 08:44 PM   #7
Fljotsdale

Thanks, everyone, specially for the links - I will check 'em out! Advice much apreciated!

------------------

Old 09-21-2001, 09:14 PM   #8
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

I just installed Zone Alarm Pro today myself Flotjsdale! Never had a Firewall program before. Am AMAZED at the amount of times attempts are made to get into my computer! They say that most of these are not really malicious "hackers" but "internet background noise" (whatever that means) Either way, I have things set right now where it will pop up a box when I get "hit", which seems tonight to be happening at LEAST once a minute or two. Wow.. Glad I got a firewall finally, maybe just in time seeing all these viruses lately?

Let us know what you finally decide and if you see the same "results" as I do on your end.

------------------
Old 09-21-2001, 09:18 PM   #9
Fljotsdale

Quote:
Originally posted by ladyzekke:
I just installed Zone Alarm Pro today myself Flotjsdale! Never had a Firewall program before. Am AMAZED at the amount of times attempts are made to get into my computer! They say that most of these are not really malicious "hackers" but "internet background noise" (whatever that means) Either way, I have things set right now where it will pop up a box when I get "hit", which seems tonight to be happening at LEAST once a minute or two. Wow.. Glad I got a firewall finally, maybe just in time seeing all these viruses lately?

Let us know what you finally decide and if you see the same "results" as I do on your end.

I'm going to check out the firewall and the norton sites tomorrow. I might get both. I'll let you know in this thread how they work out.

------------------

Old 09-21-2001, 09:22 PM   #10
Fljotsdale

Quote:
Originally posted by Ziroc:

I took your advice yesterday, and got IE6 right away! Took almost an hour to download, though. I feel safer now! But I still have to get an anti-virus!

------------------