Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-2007, 02:39 PM   #1
Iron Greasel
Fzoul Chembryl

Most of the time it freezes before the splash screen and sometimes spontaneously reboots during startup. And occasionally it gives me Blue Screens of Death that speak of a page fault in nonpaged area, whatever that may be. And rarely, if I try several times, it works normally, as it should work. This all started a few days ago. And the specific OS in question is Windows XP Home. And all this time Ubuntu has worked like a dream.

Does anyone know what this is?
Old 01-27-2007, 02:49 PM   #2
PurpleXVI
Emerald Dragon

I'm going to guess corrupt HD sectors, if I remember my OS stuff right, XP can be gruesomely screwed up by that.
PurpleXVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 03:09 PM   #3
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

Use HDTune, HDDScan or something similar. I recommend you format and install Windows XP ASAP, unless you feel more comfortable using Linux only. Just get off Home edition.
Old 01-27-2007, 03:13 PM   #4
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Do you realize you actually posted this?

Step One: Reboot with your Linux boot CD.
Step Two: Cleanse system of all M$ software.
Step Three: Clean install Ubuntu.
Step Four: Immediately open all repositories, and do a update.
Step Five: Install any drivers that need it.
Step Six: Enjoy.

Sounds like it could be three issues:
1. PSU going down
2. Memory
3. Heat

Boot to BIOS, and check your hard temp on the CPU.
Boot to QT Parted CD~Options~#3~and run a "Full" MemTest.

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Felix The Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 04:19 PM   #5
PurpleXVI
Emerald Dragon

Did you just honestly write M$?

Additionally, there's one thing you should do long before you go through with Felix's last-resort thing, open up your case and check for loose connections and the like. Since it only happens sometimes, it could easily be something rattling around in it's slot.

Also, yes, if that's not it, it sounds close to the symptoms of a dying PSU, though I've never gotten BSOD's from that.
Old 01-27-2007, 04:36 PM   #6
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Quote:
Originally posted by PurpleXVI:
Did you just honestly write M$?

Additionally, there's one thing you should do long before you go through with Felix's last-resort thing, open up your case and check for loose connections and the like. Since it only happens sometimes, it could easily be something rattling around in it's slot.

Also, yes, if that's not it, it sounds close to the symptoms of a dying PSU, though I've never gotten BSOD's from that.
Obviously you are a M$ supporter.

Go immediately to "Hive's" corner and ponder about why you have so many winders and gates preventing you from doing as you please with your PC.

Linux is like a wigwam: No windows, no gates, and a Apache inside.

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Old 01-27-2007, 04:40 PM   #7
PurpleXVI
Emerald Dragon

I am not an "M$" supporter. I just find the name juvenile and dumb.

Also, seriously, those were the poorest, worst jokes ever. I mean, they were literally physically painful. It felt like I was having a heart attack and an epileptic seizure at once when I read them.
Old 01-27-2007, 04:50 PM   #8
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Good! Now maybe some Linux folks can get back to helping IG here, and not worry about the M$ army trying to recapture his flag.

Which Ubuntu version were you using?
Were you dual booting?
I presume you did all of the touch things first, however since it was mentioned, I'm thinking you are beyond that?
Can you get into BIOS/CMOS?

John F. Kennedy

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Old 01-27-2007, 05:06 PM   #9
PurpleXVI
Emerald Dragon

What the hell are you going on about? I wasn't trying to argue against Ubuntu or Linux or whatever, Jesus, what OS the man wants to run is his problem, not mine. He could run OS/2 for all I care. All I took offense to was your silly term.

God.

I'm still willing to bet it's probably just a loose connection or a dying PSU. No reason to dive into all the complexities before you've got that stuff checked.
Old 01-27-2007, 06:46 PM   #10
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Your are learning, s-l-o-w-l-y but learning.
IG 'had' been running that setup for about a year now, and it comes as a surprise he has reverted backwards. Most people who run in his league are not new, and don't need 'simpleton' suggestions, those have been conducted prior to posting.

I usually know who I am heckling, and sometimes an outsider arrives, and just can't quite grasp the relationship of the post, and posters, and then they usually end up with their panties in an uproar.

So, pull'em back down and don't worry, it's just a thread! [img]graemlins/happydance.gif[/img]

John F. Kennedy

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen