Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

View Poll Results: Do you think Gaming admins should play the game they manage?
Yes, they should be entitled to that right. 17 70.83%
No, thats rediciulous. 3 12.50%
Undecided, mainly because i couldn't care or dont play online games. 4 16.67%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-06-2004, 06:20 AM   #1
Marikai
Dungeon Master

Do you think that Online game administrators deserve to play the games they manage?
[img]\"http://members.lycos.co.uk/arkana/phpBB2/images/avatars/178988289141833a89f34ac.jpg\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br />Why am I trying to give, <br />when no one gives me a try, <br />Why am I dying to live, <br />if I\'m just living to die?
Old 05-06-2004, 06:32 AM   #2
Marikai
Dungeon Master

The main reason why i setup this poll was because i am currently playing an online game called "The Prophets Song".

When i started playing it 3-4years ago, it was honestly one of the best web-browser games online, and it was also free which was a bonus.

Howvere, back then it wasn't so impossible to play. But now, you got these players who have sucked up to the creator and have been given Admin rights. Its quite clear that a majority of them are abusing their admin rights.

There is now a horde of impossibly highly skilled characters roaming around which coincedently are all admins and for some reason find satisfaction out of killing everyday players.
Because of all these hidden secrets going on within the admin team, there is much debate going on between the players to really decide what to do with it.

This game has lost a hell of alot of players, alot of good players that have basically had enough of all the corruption going on behind the scenes.

Never in all my years of playing online games inclding diablo 1 & 2, Battlefied series, Half-life series, other text based games etc HAVE I EVER SEEN THIS HAPPEN.

ADMINS KILLING PLAYERS!
AND YET, THE ADMINS REQUIRE PLAYER DONATIONS TO KEEP THE GAME RUNNING!

So... I ask of your input about your experiences, and what you think about the authority of this game...

I know there are plenty of gamers out there who agree that this rubbish from Admins is un-acceptable. Afterall, the characters are players with feelings and emotions.

the game is located at:
http://stax.trollscantsing.com

I leave it at this. Take care of yourselves people. I wish you all a great week and may you all be blessed with good health.

~Marikai

[ 05-06-2004, 06:33 AM: Message edited by: Marikai ]
[img]\"http://members.lycos.co.uk/arkana/phpBB2/images/avatars/178988289141833a89f34ac.jpg\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br />Why am I trying to give, <br />when no one gives me a try, <br />Why am I dying to live, <br />if I\'m just living to die?
Old 05-06-2004, 08:06 AM   #3
Wysardry
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Yes, admins should have the right to play the games they manage, partly because they deserve it for the amount of work they put in, and also because it gives them a better understanding of the game.

However, they should be discouraged from playing only as admins. In other words, they should also have at least one "standard" player account, which has no special privaleges, that they use at least as much.

Yes, admins should have the right to kill players, in the same way that everyone else does. Otherwise, certain players are going to go out of their way to bait them.

They should be discouraged from abusing their powers though.
Old 05-06-2004, 12:45 PM   #4
Jaradu
Silver Dragon

Bloody Pingu Champion
Players in the game should be able to vote whether they want the admin playing or not if he has a reputation of abusing his power. Might not work, though, as a goof admin might get 'bullied' by overpowered characters who keep voting 'No' for the hell of it.

Looks like a good game, Marikai; I'll have to check it out...
Old 05-06-2004, 12:56 PM   #5
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Meh, admins should never be allowed. There are players and admins and that choice needs to stick. In my experience kids and power do NOT mix.
Old 05-06-2004, 05:17 PM   #6
Marikai
Dungeon Master

You all raise good points, and some that ive never considered myself. However, this is a game where you have Light characters and Dark characters.

Admins should be of both sides, however, all the admins now are Dark players because they kicked the remaining Light admins out. There is alot to learn about this particular admin team, most i am not willing to speak of because the list is so frieking long -_-...

And yes, i do agree that admins deserve the right to play the game they work on, but to tell you the honest truth, the only remaining creator (he cant code, he only makes the graphics) kicked the only coder of the game coincidently just after completion of the coding.

Now, the admin panel is not really used for coding or improvements to the game, rather a game infested panel full of pirde-filled, power mongering Dark players.

Believe me.... this is a game that has been over-run by a rediculous number of people who have 'sucked up' to the creator (and originally the only person with datbase access) and have tricked him into giving them all datbase access.

Virtually all admins have tampered with their characters... this is not good for game development and is unfair to the players.

Spiritwarrior, your right, players characters and admins with characters just dont bond on the same level. I am currently helping with another game made in Flash which should hopefully be up and running in a few more months.

This particular game is designed to have 3 layers upon the game. 1 layer for players to play on. 2nd layer is for admins to play on, but they cannto attack players.. its the enforced restrictions upon that layer.

Either way... i believe that admins can play a game, but should not be running around killing the players... especially when the admins require the donations to keep it running. And yet for some reason, they keep on killing the players including the donators and they all leave. This game wont last the year if they dont do something.

~Marikai
Old 05-07-2004, 03:15 AM   #7
Faceman
Hathor

It can be fun in a small circle, but if an Admin uses out-of-game methods to support his cause, it's cheating and NO that should not be allowed.
I remember playing Counter-Strike on a public server, where the admin would broadcast public messages to inform his teammates ("the bomb is at point A") AFTER he had died or kick enemies in a crucial situation just to have his team win.
It's obvious that this ruins the game. It's not a big deal in small games like CS, but in MMORPGs this is a big issue where admins should not be allowed playing if they can't play fair.
Old 05-07-2004, 05:21 PM   #8
Wysardry
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I think this is starting to be less a matter of whether admins in general should be allowed to play a game and/or kill players and more a question of whether specific individuals are responsible enough to be admins in the first place.
Old 05-07-2004, 09:46 PM   #9
Marikai
Dungeon Master

Ok.. Wysardry perhaps your right. Not all games have corrupted admins who do these kind of things. It is just one of those rare games which are run by specific individuals who only want to be BIG and STRONGER then the players so there their the POWER of the game... so that they think their UNTOUCHABLE.

Perhaps a question i should have also asked was:

If you were an admin of a game with over 5000 players globally, would you honestly prefer to be the biggest player in the game and have to abuse your powers just to do so?

I'd say i wouldn't be... if you ever met some of these players, you would notice that alot of them are good people who have been emotionally damaged by the abusers (admins). To see all of your years of effort put into a character to be constantly killed or yelled at, you would feel pretty upset. I know i would feel that way.

~marikai
Old 05-08-2004, 07:04 AM   #10
The Hierophant
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally posted by Wysardry:
I think this is starting to be less a matter of whether admins in general should be allowed to play a game and/or kill players and more a question of whether specific individuals are responsible enough to be admins in the first place.
[img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]