Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-2004, 10:33 PM   #21
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Interesting replies, guys! By the way, to clarify, when I talk about dining solo, I'm talking about dining, not just having dinner.

Old 05-04-2004, 10:42 PM   #22
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Hmmm... good point. From that perspective, I rarely dine solo, although I have. One of the restaurants in the Frankfurt airport comes to mind... can't remember the last time I had someone polish every utensil before setting the table [img]smile.gif[/img] It was dinner, but it was also dining.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Old 05-04-2004, 11:33 PM   #23
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion
When I was living at home I dined alone often. Nowadays I do so on occasion, and it's interesting. It's a good chance to catch up on reading and peoplewatching while getting free refills on coffee or iced tea, depending on the time of day.

http://xkcd.com/386/
http://www.xkcd.com/406/

My heart is like my coffee. Black, bitter, icy, and with a straw.
Old 05-05-2004, 07:23 AM   #24
faiden
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Went to the movies alone but never dined alone and i doubt i would. Would rather sit by the fire with a warm squirrel lol.
Old 05-05-2004, 09:52 AM   #25
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Can't say as I've 'dined' solo, but I've been at a restaurants alone a few times when traveling. Like most of the others who posted, I tend to just eat in the room or grab something quick when alone, though.

I think half the fun of 'dining' out is to have a nice conversation with someone else (or several others) and share the experience.

[ 05-05-2004, 09:53 AM: Message edited by: Cloudbringer ]
Old 05-05-2004, 10:14 AM   #26
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Well, I just got back from a date (a harmless one - I'm still faithful to Taryn fellas! ) at this really cool and trendy restaurant called Moorish on Bondi Beach. I can definitely say that if I were to dine alone it would be at a quiet, subdued place with good food, not a place to be "seen", because as Johnny said food's not the only reason you go to a nice restaurant - it's also for the company and the conversation. Not to say I'd never dine alone - but I probably wouldn't go to a buzzing, hip place. Not because I would feel self-conscious because I really couldn't give a toss if people thought I was a No-Friends-Nigel , but because I'd be bored to tears seeing everyone chatting away and me having nobody to chat to. Even waiting five minutes for your date to get back from going to the toilet is boring. [img]graemlins/awcrap.gif[/img]

Then again, it does give you more scope to chat up the waitresses, eh...

[ 05-05-2004, 10:19 AM: Message edited by: Memnoch ]

Old 05-05-2004, 10:31 AM   #27
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Some things never change! LOL! I have visions of you at 60 flirting with waitresses and checking out the blondes at the next table....
Old 05-05-2004, 11:00 AM   #28
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Cloudbringer:
Some things never change! LOL! I have visions of you at 60 flirting with waitresses and checking out the blondes at the next table....
Well, that's what healthy guys do. Once they stop doing that, something's wrong.
Old 05-05-2004, 11:26 AM   #29
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by johnny:
quote:
Originally posted by Cloudbringer:
Well, that's what healthy guys do. Once they stop doing that, something's wrong. [/QUOTE]LOL! I guess so! But somehow our Memsipie just does it with so much flare. And a sexy car.
Old 05-05-2004, 02:54 PM   #30
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

You know if one had tons of money I could see them dining out much more even by myself. Dinning out usually is part of ones monthly budget so that is why we reserve it for special occasions or once maybe twice a month and with someone else. If it was paid for (Plane caught in snow storm so they put you up an an hotel with one free meal at the restaurant for the night, or new restaurant with promotion and you won so you get a free meal to try them out) I don't think any one would say no to dining alone if it was a free meal ticket. I have done that before.

[ 05-05-2004, 02:58 PM: Message edited by: pritchke ]