Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2001, 02:07 AM   #11
Lifetime
Red Dragon

Yes there's always the quivering knees tactic too

------------------
Why?
Old 06-05-2001, 05:14 AM   #12
Cayle
The Magister

The summoned beasties are just to give the Dragon something other than a party member to munch on.
Old 06-05-2001, 11:42 AM   #13
SuperFLY2001
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Actually i beat him rather easy...just casted magic resistance on him and surrounded him with the group...then the idiot got confused and couldnt decide where to cast his spells??? didnt take long before he was down hehe...so much for the Wisdom of the Ancient Dragons
Old 06-05-2001, 01:15 PM   #14
Vampire

Here is my famous dragon slaying strategies.
It depends on your playing confidence(how good you are with D&D) and your party exp+composition.

MUST USE PROTECT FROM FIRE, a 10d20 red dragon breath kills!

1) Suitable for melee heavy high exp party
Hack and slash the dragon. MAKE SURE you have very low save vs. breath and spell throws.
Good idea to cast defensice harmony and summon some elementals (fire). Cast protect from fire on all characters

2) Mage heavy low/high level
Cast lower resistance and away with magic missiles/chain lightning..etc.
No summonered animals allows you to use the deadly skull trap and cloud kill spells.

3) Summon + Mage
Use summoned animals to tie the dragon up whilst you fire non-area effect spells.

NOT DRAGONS ARE IMMUNE to fire(red) and acid...but NOT poison.

Firkraag has a low THAC0 -ve 2 or something
Uses insect swarm aginst your mages and used red dragon breath once, fatal.
It has some 300HP and an AC 0f -11.

[This message has been edited by Avatar (edited 06-05-2001).]
Old 06-13-2001, 02:55 PM   #15
Sir Jaren Tor
Dungeon Master

Well I always use melee to bring down dragons. After the first time I killed Firkraag, I've been able to drop him only a few rounds. Heres what I do:

Take three fighters (rangers/paladins etc)
> Frost or Fire Giant STR potions
> Haste
> Aid on all fighters
> Bless
> Chant
> Resist Fire/Cold if you have them on your cleric/druid

Surround the son of a gun and volley magic missles at him while all your fighters attack. NOTE: This way tends to make him use his breath weapon on your mages. So you've been forewarned.
Old 06-13-2001, 06:25 PM   #16
sunder
Zhentarim Guard

A great way to beat up on a dragon LOL.

Of course, I start the battle by casting magic resistance on the dragon, to lower his. Then A Nice Insect Plague spell works wonders. The dragon can't cast spells in it, the dragon takes 1 damage every 2 seconds, AND most of the time the dragon runs in fear because of the swarm.

I kill that red dragon that way every time. My warriors are hitting it, my mages are magic missiling it, and my clerics give it nice summoned monsters to hit.
I always have my clerics put fire resistance on all my people before hand. The dragon usually only gets one chance at a fire breath before he dies, so that initial protection makes sure my guys don't get toasted by 60-100+ damaing breath.
And magic missile spell sequencers work wonders! You'll throw a zillion magic missiles at the dragon, it will look like a pincushion when you are done.

So want to see a scared dragon, just cast magic resistance on it, then start the battle by insect plaqueing it (if you have a druid). Youll grin in victory.
Old 06-13-2001, 09:32 PM   #17
ravensong
Elite Waterdeep Guard

A few summoned creatures and my archer + minsc (hasted) made VERY short work of both Firkragg and the Shadow dragon. Just about to go after the Black Dragon when I finally kill that damn demi-liche.
Old 06-13-2001, 09:43 PM   #18
Lord Diggler
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I sent my invisible thief in to backstab him which did around 70 hp of damage, then used my cleric to cast lower resistance, summonded creatures to attack him while my characters got into position (all the while my magic users are hitting him with lightning bolts) and once all the summonded creatures had been blown away I attacked from all sides at once. EASY!!!
Old 06-14-2001, 05:10 AM   #19
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

This is assuming you don't want to use any cheese methods at all, like surrounding the dragon before you even start the fight.

Summon creatures to tank for you.

Basically acting as punching bags while your party members hack/shoot/slash/stab/impale/etc... ... the dragon

Cast as many defensive spells as possible before the fight, starting from the longest duration ones. Make sure you have either Remove or Resist Fear.

Haste is a nice spell too.

As you engage, spread out your melee combatants, summoned creatures in front and at the sides of the dragon, melee party members at the back and mages/clerics/ranged fighters just within shooting/casting range.

As summon creatures get unsummoned/killed, summon more. Make sure they occupy the dragon at all times.

Cast these if you have them, Breach, Insect Plague, Lower Magic Resistance.

Shoot these if you have them, Arrows of Biting.

Good luck!