Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-2007, 11:11 PM   #1
JulesWinnfield
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Was just curious if there was any MUST take spells for the sorc. This is my first time playing this game and havent ever played a sorc in other games like this, always used a wizard and things seem a little bit diff lol but interesting. I am only going thru the regular game of IWD2 no add ons or mod things. Thanx [img]smile.gif[/img]
JulesWinnfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 01:01 AM   #2
Aerich
Lord Ao

Most people like to play their sorcs as straight-out spell bombers, a role for which they are ideally suited. Ergo, standard damaging spells like Fireball, Magic Missile, etc are popular choices. Feat selections include Greater Spell Focus: Evocation and Spirit of Flame. The sorc is a great caster, so the other spell focus feats (maybe not GSF: Transmutation) are also good choices.

I like to take Sleep right at the start. It's a great spell for the Prologue and Chapter 1, although you won't use it much after that. For me, Web is a must-take.
Old 02-25-2007, 09:45 AM   #3
Marty4
Symbol of Cyric

I always have a mage along for all the utility spells, freeing my sorcerer up for pure nukage. I take all the direct damage and AoE spells available, and if I run out of those I get summonings.
Marty4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 06:04 PM   #4
Dragonshadow
Quth-Maren

I have a mix of damge and defence spells so if in doubt I can just get them to cast a few, wear some armour and go hack at things, not so many summoning though, although a few of eth higher level ones can't hurt. Anything lightning related is a must for me, especially chain lightning.

aka Loc der Graf, Quillruke
Dragonshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 07:12 PM   #5
Aerich
Lord Ao

I pick most damage spells, but not all by any means. I'd much have Sleep over Laerloch's Minor Drain or Chill Touch, for example. IMO, Mirror Image and Web are far more valuable throughout the game for keeping party members alive than something like Agannazar's Scorcher (although I usually take that spell, too).
Old 02-25-2007, 07:32 PM   #6
Klorox
Symbol of Cyric

Chromatic Orb is a great spell IME. Once you hit 7th level (and I like GSF:Evocation), creatures must save or be stunned. This stunning happens for long enough that it's basically a death sentence.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."-- Edmund Burke
Klorox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 08:05 PM   #7
JulesWinnfield
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Thanx guys, I do have a wizard also Marty4. Also Aerich I had taken sleep as one of my starters and its worked great, but once I figured out how the sorc spells worked I knew I wouldnt be using it later on and that led me to my post here to make sure I didnt grab a spell that was just going to be total crap. And Klorox I did choose Chrom Orb also And I have my wizard doing a few summons along with my cleric or ranger, something like, Dragonshadow summon natures ally I think?!?!?...Is Melf magic arrow a decent 2nd lvl one? I see web and mirror image are suggested for second lvl ones. Oh and thanx for the feat tips Aerich.
JulesWinnfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 10:12 PM   #8
Aerich
Lord Ao

Melf's is a great spell for disrupting casters. It's also nice because it doesn't lose value in the game; AFAIK, there's no cap on the damage it causes, unlike spells such as Snilloc's, which caps out fairly quickly. Snilloc's is great in the Goblin Warrens, though; kind of a pint-sized Fireball.

I really focus on damagers at lvl 3; aside from Fireball, Skull Trap has no damage cap, Icelance can stun as well as damage, Melf's MM is interesting, and Flame Arrow does good damage that increases every four levels. If I had no wizard I'd consider Haste, Slow, and Stinking Cloud, but the lvl 3 damage spells are too good not to take.

Lvl 4 is interesting, because the utility spells are more critical than the damagers. Stoneskin (lvl 4) is an awesome spell for keeping your tanks alive. It's the first lvl 4 spell I learn. Improved Invisibility is next. Confusion, Malison, Otiluke's RS, and Emotion: Hope are also solid choices. The only two really effective damage spells from this level are Vitriolic Sphere and Mordenkainen's Force Missiles, and MFM takes a while to become really effective. Skip Ice Storm, because your lvl 3 Fireball will do more damage. Skip Wall of Fire, too, because although it can be useful in some circumstances (e.g. cast in a doorway that melee attackers must pass through), there's much better spells available here for a sorc.

Lvl 5 has some killer damagers (Sunfire, Cone of Cold, Cloudkill), of which my personal favourite is Shroud of Flame. Don't overlook the enchantment spells of this level, either. Chaos is money in the bank (Will save at -4!); Dominate Person and Feeblemind are probably better taken by your wizard.

Lvl 6 is all about the acid spells, Disintegrate, and Chain Lightning. Grab a summons if you feel like it, or Tensor's Transformation if you feel like entering melee combat.

My lvl 7 picks are Delayed Blast Fireball, Finger of Death, and Mordenkainen's Sword. Seven Eyes is a good defensive spell. Skip Malavon's Rage or take it later on, despite the decent damage, unless you like running your sorc forward to be surrounded and are good enough defensively to cast spells while attacked. You can also get good mileage out of it if you stand right behind a tank with evasion (1 lvl of monk, 2 lvls of rogue) and/or magic resistance that is being mobbed.
Old 02-26-2007, 05:41 PM   #9
Klorox
Symbol of Cyric

Since Snillocs caps out so quickly, it's an example of a great spell for a Wizard, but so-so for a Sorcerer, IMHO.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."-- Edmund Burke
Klorox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 01:29 AM   #10
Aerich
Lord Ao

Definitely true. However, it is the only real area-of-effect spell at sorc/wiz spell level 2; I don't count Scorcher and Gedlee's, which I classify as odd AoE damagers. It's an option spell for me.

Once you've taken Web, Mirror Image, and Melf's AA from spell lvl 2, the rest is up for grabs. I think those are my only ironclad choices at lvl 2. Take Snillocs for predictable AoE, Scorcher for fire damage, Blur or Gedlee's for melee combat if that's where you like to put your sorc, or Bull's Strength, Eagle's Splendor, or Cat's Grace for buffing. Under extreme circumstances, the only other spells I'd consider here are Invisibility, Luck, and Horror.