Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-2008, 01:46 PM   #11
thecarrotdude
Zhentarim Guard

Cool Dude Re: USA Men's Basketball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavindathar View Post
Erm, Im not a major basketball fan, since the sport hasn't been invented over here, but correct me if I'm wrong -

USA are the only team that should stand a chance? Since you are the only country with a HUGE professional league? Sure, others play it, but its like the USA's first sport...
No, other countries definitely stand a chance because their players are the best of the best from their country. While USA players, although they are basically as good as the other team's players, are mostly mediocre NBA players and not all superstars. That's why, the only time most of our superstars played in 1992 (including jordan, magic johnson, pippen, larry bird, charles barkley, etc.) we completely demolished all the other teams by a margin of more than 30 points each.

But this year, I think team USA is going to give their all from the start because of their embarrassing defeats over the last few years. Argentina and Greece won't stand a chance. I guaransheed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny View Post
Actually, i don't think they will win it.
....oookaayy

"Excuse me, I believe you have my stapler..."
- Milton Waddams
thecarrotdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 09:57 PM   #12
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

Default Re: USA Men's Basketball

Is there any time that USA have not won Olympic basketball gold medal before?
Kakero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 10:34 PM   #13
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakero View Post
1980 when they boycotted Moscow, and again in 1988 in Seoul.

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 12:33 AM   #14
Lord
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakero View Post
2004, when the men won bronze.

The team is actually looking quite versatile this year. Of course, Boozer will have to step in big to help Dwight at the 5.

Memnoch, don't forget that CP3 and and LeBron can also knock down threes. I expect Deron Williams to show off some of his skill from behind the arc as well. The team has phenomenal ball handlers in CP3 and Jason Kidd, and Prince is a reliable jump shooter for them to look to. This is looking like the best men's USA basketball team we've put together in a while. The Olympics should be a lot of fun to watch!

"No, I only lied about being a thief."
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 04:34 AM   #15
Rikard T'Aranaxz
Harper

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecarrotdude View Post
No, other countries definitely stand a chance because their players are the best of the best from their country. While USA players, although they are basically as good as the other team's players, are mostly mediocre NBA players and not all superstars. That's why, the only time most of our superstars played in 1992 (including jordan, magic johnson, pippen, larry bird, charles barkley, etc.) we completely demolished all the other teams by a margin of more than 30 points each.

But this year, I think team USA is going to give their all from the start because of their embarrassing defeats over the last few years. Argentina and Greece won't stand a chance. I guaransheed it.
Wait wait in 2006 you fielded Kobe Bryant, LeBron James, Dwayne Wade, Camilo Anthony, Chris Bosh, Dwight Howard

In 2004 you fielded Allen Iverson, Tim Duncan, Camilo Anthony, Carlos Boozer, Dwight Howard and Amare Stoudemire

How are these "mediocre NBA players"?

Also compared to 2006 you added Carlos Boozer, Jason Kidd, Chris Paul, Tayshaun Prince, Micheal Redd and Deron Jameson

I personally dont see how that makes the difference between mediocre NBA players in 2006 and superstars in 2008.

You should have just send the Boston Celtics to the olympics.
Old 07-01-2008, 04:43 AM   #16
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion

There are several teams on the worldstage that can go up against team USA on any given night and actually stand a decent chance of winning, but i realize it's kinda hard to admit you're no longer THE absolute dominant force in the sport anymore.
Old 07-01-2008, 05:03 AM   #17
Rikard T'Aranaxz
Harper

Lucky the dutch will always dominate Korfball *highfives johnny*
Old 07-01-2008, 06:26 AM   #18
VulcanRider
Lord Soth

I was kinda disappointed when we started sending professional players. I thought the Olympics was supposed to be for amateur (non-paid!) athletes.

-----
Help feed animals in shelters with just a mouse click at The Animal Rescue Site !!
VulcanRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 11:31 AM   #19
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord View Post
2004, when the men won bronze.

The team is actually looking quite versatile this year. Of course, Boozer will have to step in big to help Dwight at the 5.

Memnoch, don't forget that CP3 and and LeBron can also knock down threes. I expect Deron Williams to show off some of his skill from behind the arc as well. The team has phenomenal ball handlers in CP3 and Jason Kidd, and Prince is a reliable jump shooter for them to look to. This is looking like the best men's USA basketball team we've put together in a while. The Olympics should be a lot of fun to watch!
I shudder to think of Boozer playing at 5. Obviously Coach K plans to play small, run and gun ball. Are they expecting that Howard will stay out of foul trouble every game? And while CP3 and LeBron can hit their treys they're kind of streaky.

Still a strong team - not as strong as I'd hoped. I know a number of players declined the invites, but I feel they really needed one more big. Too many guards on the team.

Last edited by Memnoch; 07-01-2008 at 11:34 AM.
Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 12:34 PM   #20
ZFR
Legion Symbol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memnoch View Post
1980 when they boycotted Moscow, and again in 1988 in Seoul.
And don't forget that famous final game in 1972 in Munich.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basketb...ummer_Olympics

1972 was the first time they didn't win it.