Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 05-21-2007, 03:38 PM   #1
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Story

Must have been a scary situation, a giant silverback on the loose between all those unsuspecting people. The woman that got mauled by Bokito, apparently came 3-4 times a week in that zoo, especially for the gorilla, she said she tried to connect with the animal. I guess she pulled it really off that time huh?

Anyone here know anything about primate behaviour? I hear that you should never look apes like chimps and gorillas right in the eye, because it would sort of provoke their anger, is this true? The woman in question did that every time, and also show him mirrors, after which he went completely berserk according to a zoo employee. Seems to me that the woman had some fun in harassing the gorilla, maybe that's why he didn't go after any other people, but just this particular woman. News says that she has somewhat 100 bitemarks from head to toe.

Bokito

Outside the cage....

The victim....

Old 05-22-2007, 10:10 AM   #2
Iron Greasel
Fzoul Chembryl

The gorilla has a very effective way of communicating it's desires. Nothing says "Go away" like biting someone a hundred times.
Old 05-22-2007, 10:14 AM   #3
Sever
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I doubt she thought she was harrassing the gorilla, though i'm sure that's what he thought of it. I wonder if she'll visit him again..
boo hoo hoo hoo hoo hoo
Sever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 01:30 PM   #4
Callum
Symbol of Cyric

I can't comment on apes... but you shouldn't look monkeys in the eye. At least... the macaques we get at Penang Botanical Gardens... they're vicious little things and regard that as a challenge.
Old 05-22-2007, 04:02 PM   #5
Dragonshadow
Quth-Maren

A lot of animals hate you looking them in the eye. No cat I've ever met enjoyed it. (Although my boyfriend's two dogs don't mind. The hamsters and shrimps seemed indifferent)

aka Loc der Graf, Quillruke
Dragonshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 04:08 PM   #6
bubbe
Zhentarim Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by Dragonshadow:
A lot of animals hate you looking them in the eye. No cat I've ever met enjoyed it. (Although my boyfriend's two dogs don't mind. The hamsters and shrimps seemed indifferent)
I just love the fact that you been looking in to the eyes of shrimps [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 05-22-2007, 09:18 PM   #7
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

Which reminds me of some people, if you look at them in the eye. They'll come challenging you already.
Kakero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 10:38 PM   #8
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Quote:
Originally posted by Kakero:
Which reminds me of some people, if you look at them in the eye. They'll come challenging you already.
Ah, my friend. Look me in the eye when you speak the truth. Look me in the eye when I question you about the truth. Don't look me in the eye about the truth and you fail my test of truth!

But we come from different cultures, and my culture expects you to at least greet them with the eyes. However, many of the young generation cannot look up and away from the floor in my presence. Go figure?!

However, a greeting or meeting with the eyes is acceptable, but when it becomes a matter of staring, or uncontrollable eye lock, then it may become an issue, or as you stated, "a challenge".

If she brought mirrors and such, it is clear she had an intent. But to what extent only resides with her. Did they do anything stupid to the ape? That would be a shame!

I have visited that zoo, and IIRC saw Bokito within his confines.

[ 05-22-2007, 10:44 PM: Message edited by: Felix The Assassin ]

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Felix The Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 04:48 AM   #9
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
When were you there Felix? Because Bokito is quite old already, but spent most of his life in a Berlin zoo if i'm not mistaken. In Berlin he was known as an escape artist, 5 times he made a succesfull attempt, no victims during those escapes though, maybe he just likes to show off his skills. There's one other thing about this particular gorilla that should have alarmed the zooguards....Bokito is unlike most of his fellow gorillas, not afraid of water, and won't hesitate to jump in the mote to test the low fence on that side of his territory. This happened a week before this incident, and a guard had to push him back and away from the fence.

Meanwhile the Rotterdam zoo has issues of another sort, lawsuits are piling up. People here have seen too many American movies.
Old 05-23-2007, 06:11 AM   #10
Dragonshadow
Quth-Maren

Quote:
Originally posted by bubbe:
quote:
Originally posted by Dragonshadow:
I just love the fact that you been looking in to the eyes of shrimps [img]tongue.gif[/img] [/QUOTE]Shrimp happen to be very emotive with their eyes [img]tongue.gif[/img]

And I can't look people in the eye for very long unless I know them well. Or unless I hate them, when I try to stare them out.

aka Loc der Graf, Quillruke
Dragonshadow is offline   Reply With Quote