Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)

Old 03-17-2004, 10:58 PM   #1
economist
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Sorry if this has been discussed before. But, as other topics have suggested, new folks (like me) are arriving all the time. I am new to wiz8, but played 6 and 7. I have noticed some differences.

How important is a priest? In wiz6 and 7, they were essential (for me at least) but in wiz 8, players regenerate fast while they sleep.

How powerful is a Bard? It seems that they can only launch their instrument about the same number of times that a spellcaster could launch their spell. I don't remember it being that way in 6 and 7.

Is it practicle for "elite" character to use their magic like it was in 6 and 7? It seems that my characters were using magic more in 6 and 7 than in 8.

Depending on the answer to the above, wouldn't fighters be nearly as good as a lord or samuri or other elite?

I found that a lord, sam, monk, ran, pri, bard worked wonderfully in 6 and 7, but I think that when I go through wiz 8 again, i am going to use 2 fighters, 2 bishops, a farie nin, and a ranger.
economist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 11:21 PM   #2
Gimli
Emerald Dragon

How important is a priest? In wiz6 and 7, they were essential (for me at least) but in wiz 8, players regenerate fast while they sleep.

Not necessary at all, especially if you have someone else who can cast from the Divine realm. They're cool characters though that are underrated, especially in a pure support role.

How powerful is a Bard? It seems that they can only launch their instrument about the same number of times that a spellcaster could launch their spell. I don't remember it being that way in 6 and 7.

I think in Wiz 8 the Bard class is almost overpowered, especially early on. They "cast" in Wiz 8 with stamina instead of mana, which is more easily recovered, and only need to concentrate on one skill for all their "spells" too. For me they are often in a "haster" role too which is invaluable.

Is it practicle for "elite" character to use their magic like it was in 6 and 7? It seems that my characters were using magic more in 6 and 7 than in 8.

All depends on what you want them to do, how you develop them. I personally develop hybrids to be more melee oriented, but they can be shaped into great casters as well. If you want to go in that direction, I would suggest going for a maxed Int score ASAP and getting powercast.

Depending on the answer to the above, wouldn't fighters be nearly as good as a lord or samuri or other elite?

Better if you're not interested in casting at all, Wiz 8 fighters are quite potent melee machines. The hybrids do get the set/return to portal spells though which can make movement around the world much easier and they can hold their own in melee too.

I found that a lord, sam, monk, ran, pri, bard worked wonderfully in 6 and 7, but I think that when I go through wiz 8 again, i am going to use 2 fighters, 2 bishops, a farie nin, and a ranger.

Either party would do well in Wiz 8 - just don't be surprised if you end up playing both of them and dozens more, it's very addictive [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-18-2004, 12:54 AM   #3
The Procrastinator
Elite Waterdeep Guard

You asked excellent questions and got equally excellent answers from Gimli. I totally agree about the power of the bard: he's even great as a melee fighter. I'd add that if you want to try a non-hybrid fighter, give the rogue a go as a front man, you will be pleasantly surprised. A ranger is very useful for a first game, since he's permanently searching for hidden items. He's a great archer, too.

Hybrids can be quite disapointing if you don't develope them properly. I'd say, try a lord or a valkyrie for divine spells if you want only one hybrid and don't feel like bringing a priest along (they can be a bit boring the first 14 levels...) But even there, you meet a very fine valkyrie NPC very early in the game.

Monks and ninjas can be interesting, but difficult to develop. There's the famous case of the faerie ninja, of course. You will meet a great monk NPC in the midgame (maybe earlier if you know exactly where to go), so maybe you can pass on the monk for your first game.

In the pure spellcaster field, I'd say the alchemist is perhaps my favorite. Good combo of offense and defense, and the extremely lucrative potion mixing ability. Mages are a classic and get bonus spellpoints. Psionics can be cool, but there is definitely a problem with the concentration of spells and spellpoints in the same realm. Priests are useful, but a bit on the boring side for most of the game. Maybe you should get their spellbook covered by a hybrid or a bishop.

Finally, the bishop can get incredibly powerful, but develop slower that a pure spellcaster.

This would be my favorite first-timer party if I could replay my first game:

Fighter
Rogue
Bard
Ranger
Alchemist
Bishop working on mage and priest spellbooks, then psionics