Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 07-03-2001, 05:47 AM   #1
Big Al
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Hello everyone, I'm new here but not to the game. My question is this...
I'm currently playing a berserker/mage and I've found that there are two spells I can't write. These are stoneskin and contingency. I've never tried and failed to write these so it's not that but whenever I come across these spells in stores etc. they have the red tint to them. All other spells are OK. Is this a bug or is it something peculiar to dualed fighter/mages.

Cheers

BA
Old 07-03-2001, 05:52 AM   #2
Link
Jack Burton

Welcome to the board mate! We will do everything we can here to help you outta problems! Feel free to ask!

------------------
In the foul darkness one figure will emerge to save the world from evil and despair.... Light flashes as his sword comes down, and thunder rolls through the sky when he points his sword up to heaven to signal his victory....People whisper his name as he walks by, evil tries to hide as they sense his presence nearby.... His name? Link......
Old 07-04-2001, 01:12 PM   #3
Tuor
Elminster

Have you reached you maximum spell limit for that level or have you been intelligence drained anything like that??
Old 07-06-2001, 04:16 AM   #4
Big Al
Elite Waterdeep Guard

No definately not to either of those questions. I have just found that in the fish city there are two stoneskin scrolls you can buy. One for 550gp which is tinted red and the other for 1320gp which I have written into my spellbook. On the face of it both spells appear identical in effect and duration. Since the first post I have also found that I can write protection for electricity. Weird
Old 07-06-2001, 05:05 AM   #5
Floraowe
The Magister

Maybe one is the cleric version of stoneskin and the other is the mage version?

Protection from Electricity is a fifth level mage spell as well as being available as a one-use scroll, I think the only difference between the mage spell & the scroll is the duration, the writable spell is 1 turn/level, the non-writable scroll is of fixed duration.

Old 07-06-2001, 11:14 AM   #6
Earthdog
Emerald Dragon

MMMMMM could be a point there. Only thing is clerics dont use scrolls to learn spells. It could be, though I doubt it, That one is a temporary spell as most protection spells cant be learned, and the others written to be a learned spell. Not that this really explains anything but with most protection spells the useage is only temporary not permanent in your spell book.

Is your mage of a particular school like necromancy or divination??? These schools have opposites that your mage cant learn the spells from. So it could be that your mage has chosen a school and the opposite of that school is the one that uses protection spells.

Just a thought.

P.S. WELCOME TO THE BOARD BIG AL!!!!!!

------------------
THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!!!!!!!!!!!

[This message has been edited by Earthdog (edited 07-06-2001).]
Old 07-06-2001, 11:45 AM   #7
Big Al
Elite Waterdeep Guard

No I haven't been int drained or anything else. I just finished the fish city and found a merchant there selling two versions of stoneskin. One for 550gp which I couldn't write and one for 1320gp which I could. Both spells appear to be exaclty the same. I have also found that I can't write protection from electrical energy. Weird or what. I checked out previous game saves from times when I wasn't playing a mage and the two types of stoneskin are always there.
Old 07-06-2001, 11:48 AM   #8
Big Al
Elite Waterdeep Guard

No my mage is dualed from a berserker which made me wonder if it has anything to do with protection spells for a mage that is already pretty beefy in terms of hp.
Appologies for the dual post above when I came back to the thread my earlier one wasn't visible!