Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2001, 04:54 PM   #31
DragonMage
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Diogenes Of Pumpkintown:

Thanks for sharing that Alex.

Too often it is easy to take one's own surroundings for granted.
Ditto. I guess I sometimes forget that, while at times I feel we are restricted, other countries have it much worse.

------------------

The day we stop learning is the day we start dying!(c)

Owner/operator of the Evil Petting Zoo and devout member of the HADB clan.
Commander of the Dragon Fleet, IW Peacekeeping Force
Honored to be a member of the Illuminati - may the Light shine forever!
Mage extraordinair.
Occasional minion to Gwhanos the Fluffy

Hopeless Romantic *sigh*

"Allright! We'll call it a draw."
Old 09-27-2001, 04:54 PM   #32
Silver Cheetah
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Moridin:
Back to the original topic!

How can we support 'christian' prayer in school when our nation is all about diversity? We cannot allow the desires of the majority (christians) to override the rights of the minority (muslims, jews, atheists...)!

Sure our country may have phrases like "In God we trust" and "One Nation under God" but again these are supported by the majority, but not everyone.

One way to look at this issue is from the minority perspective. The issue is not about the majority having the right to pray (they do) just not in a mixed belief crowd, b/c that is discriminating against those that do practice the majority belief (Christianity).

Not completely off topic, Moridin the 'pome' did mention witches, after all!

For once, I completely agree with you. How does it work? Are there different sets of worship for different faiths, or does everyone gather together to worship, all in one place, but each in their own way? That would be cool!!

------------------

Ascended Mistress of Illumination
Old 09-27-2001, 05:01 PM   #33
Djinn Raffo
Ra

Quote:
Originally posted by Moridin:
Back to the original topic!

How can we support 'christian' prayer in school when our nation is all about diversity? We cannot allow the desires of the majority (christians) to override the rights of the minority (muslims, jews, atheists...)!

Sure our country may have phrases like "In God we trust" and "One Nation under God" but again these are supported by the majority, but not everyone.

One way to look at this issue is from the minority perspective. The issue is not about the majority having the right to pray (they do) just not in a mixed belief crowd, b/c that is discriminating against those that do practice the majority belief (Christianity).

Thats right! Good post!

What was that line from the simpsons:

Organized religion has no place in a public school just like facts have no place in organized religion!
Old 09-27-2001, 05:03 PM   #34
Silver Cheetah
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Djinn Raffo:
Thats right! Good post!

What was that line from the simpsons:

Organized religion has no place in a public school just like facts have no place in organized religion!
Ooh! (Squeals of delight). Nice one Djinn....... (IMHO)

------------------

Old 09-27-2001, 06:12 PM   #35
Epona
Zartan

My parents are both wiccan. I am atheist.

I find it offensive that any religous practice should be foisted onto any child - so therefore I think that Christian prayer should not be a part of the usual secular school day. I am in favour of religous freedom and diversity, recognising all sectors as equally valid.

------------------

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Epona of The Laughing Hyenas
Proud winner of the 'Most Useless Post 250 Has Ever Seen' Award 2001. "I'd just like to thank my friends and family, without whom none of this would have been possible..."
Old 09-27-2001, 07:28 PM   #36
Silver Cheetah
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Epona:
My parents are both wiccan. I am atheist.

I find it offensive that any religous practice should be foisted onto any child - so therefore I think that Christian prayer should not be a part of the usual secular school day. I am in favour of religous freedom and diversity, recognising all sectors as equally valid.

Right behind you on that one!! (Having had religious instruction foisted onto me til it came out of my ears....)

------------------

Old 09-27-2001, 07:33 PM   #37
Epona
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Silver Cheetah:
Right behind you on that one!! (Having had religious instruction foisted onto me til it came out of my ears....)

Fortunately I escaped it myself, but I firmly believe that every individual should have the right to follow and practice their religion - but that the state, and state institutions, schools, media etc. should be firmly secular - and independent. Also I am in favour of recognising the various paths of pagan belief as a valid religion. There are certainly enough followers in Britain to warrant equal treatment with other religions.

------------------

Proud winner of the 'Most Useless Post 250 Has Ever Seen' Award 2001. "I'd just like to thank my friends and family, without whom none of this would have been possible..."
Old 09-27-2001, 08:32 PM   #38
John D Harris
Ninja Storm Shadow

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Kenyth:
The original pilgrims were primarily Quaker, were they not?
I beleive they were "Puritains"

------------------

Airline ticket to Afghanistan $800
High powered rifle with scope $1000
Hotel room with roof access $100
A clean Head shot on that sack of Horse Manure Usuma Bin Laden PRICELESS!
Old 09-27-2001, 08:41 PM   #39
Grand-Ranger
Galvatron

Location: Everywhere I wanna go its already where I am,cause I am already there
Well I, for one, agree wtih the orginal posts. I am christan and think it should be taught in public schools. Or maybe it could be an "optional" class. That would be cool.

------------------

So if in the forest look behind you, because that where the ranger is going to be

Grand-Jester of Laghing Hyenas
Messenger of the Emerald Dragon

May a pregnant yak chew on your ear for all eternity.
A guitar solo is to a guitarsist is what a palette is too a painter.
"...But I look at my self as a fragile, inteligent,human being. But there is a clown inside that comes and messes it up everytime" -Jim Morrison
Old 09-28-2001, 01:55 AM   #40
Epona
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Grand-Ranger:
Well I, for one, agree wtih the orginal posts. I am christan and think it should be taught in public schools. Or maybe it could be an "optional" class. That would be cool.

But do you not think that people should be free to come to your religion of their own free will rather than be forced to study it regardless of their beliefs? Optional would be OK. When I was at school we had to pray every morning and had to have written explanations if we wanted to be excluded. Why force kids to pray? Crazy, and it certainly didn't make me a Christian, even though I can mumble the words to the Lords Prayer or the 23rd psalm - so what, it means nothing to me other than being a fairly bland bit of poetry!

------------------