Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 07-24-2001, 11:02 AM   #11
Gustave
The Magister

Hmm...well. My BG2 just randomly closes every now and ten. But thats usually only after I've been playing it for a few hours.
Old 08-19-2001, 11:23 PM   #12
Milio
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by Max Power:
For some reason BG2 is the most unstable game I've ever played. When I'm in a big battle I'm more worried about the game crashing than me dying. It will either minimize and be "not responding" or "Assertion failed in ChDataType(?) at line 250" or occasionally it just freezes. Would the unsupported resolutions be a cause of this? (I've got it on 1024x768).
I get this ALL the time on my new system. I played fine on my old Celeron, but my new Athlon system crashes almost every time I play. And I'm just running at 800x600. GRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-19-2001, 11:40 PM   #13
Tananda
Elminster

Sorry to hear you have such troubles
Milio, have you this problem now only with BG or with other games too?
Anyway, I'd suggest the problem is not BG, but something in your system
Actually BG is really very stable game. The only time when I had problem with it, it was because of conflicting devices in my PC - surely not game's fault...
Also, try to check video adapter.

Old 08-20-2001, 02:01 AM   #14
Wildhorse
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Max Power:
For some reason BG2 is the most unstable game I've ever played. When I'm in a big battle I'm more worried about the game crashing than me dying. It will
It is by far the most unstable game I have ever played also. This is not only game crashes but also computer reboots on any given SAVE command. Of course, I'll have the in-game crashes whenever the game feels like making me angry as hell. And these problems are constant, on a regular basis. Crashes after crashes after crashes. And yes, normal resolution, all latest patches (and you already sound the Red Alarm when you see the amount of bugs that each patches corrects and actually cause also).

[This message has been edited by Wildhorse (edited 08-20-2001).]
Old 08-20-2001, 02:16 AM   #15
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

The only annoyance I have with the game is with the game crashing to desktop everytime one of the ridiculous little video cut sequences comes up...not the major ones at the beginning of each chapter, or the dream sequences, but the "sleep" graphics or the "change of day to night" graphics. It consistently crashes on me during those if I don't hit the ESC key with the speed of a cobra. I'd love to disable those, but I have no idea how to do so.

Also: it's random as to whether those come up or not.

Other than that, I have to agree with Memnoch, it's a very stable game as far as in-game play goes.

Cheers,

------------------
Old 08-20-2001, 09:41 AM   #16
Ged
Elite Waterdeep Guard

It really sounds like it could be to do with overclocking and heat - maybe the game is pushing your processor harder than any other game you have - it isn't as intensive for video as others such as doom/quake so i don't really suspect it is to do with resolution - try and slow the processor down to its 'correct' speed and give it another try
Old 08-20-2001, 09:44 AM   #17
Ged
Elite Waterdeep Guard

PS - I forgot to ask
Are you running W2000, NT 4.0, 98 or 95? I'm sure I've read that 98 is 'less stable' although please don't flame me for this quote or even start another thread about it, Its just a rumor I'm sure I heard
Old 08-20-2001, 11:01 AM   #18
Wurm
Drizzt Do'Urden

How about posting your system specs and your game settings so we can get to the bottom of your problems.

I have my PC overclocked 1.2Ghz TB at 145x10 and am running all the game settings maxed out. And have not had one crash in over 40hrs+ Game play.

What type of RAM do you have? Your type of problem is usually caused by cheap/no name RAM.

So post your specs and we will see if we can better help you
Old 08-20-2001, 11:46 AM   #19
Kuvg
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I had an overclocked processor aswell and most of my games including bg2 would crash to desktop all the time so if your overclocked that is probably your problem.
Old 08-20-2001, 12:23 PM   #20
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

To save you posting your specs, click here for Bioware's cool system tool. It does the following:

SysInfo is a handy application developed at BioWare Corp. for use with our games. The SysInfo tool serves two purposes. Firstly, it checks a computer system to see that all the requirements are met to be able to install and play Baldur’s Gate II: Throne of Bhaal. Secondly, it is able to save the information on system specs as well as details on BGII configuration into a text file (Info_TOB.txt). This text file can then be used for customer support purposes to facilitate bug reporting. No other information from your computer is saved to this file, so your privacy is protected.

Just execute and run.

------------------