Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2004, 10:04 PM   #1
SecretMaster
Apophis

I've been having an issue with having computer games on windows XP. It is a small issue, but it irks me regardless.

Whenever I play games, change the preferences, and quit, the preferences get reseted. Everything. And it happens with every game, NWN, Morrowind, Wizardry 8, etc.

And it didn't happen on Windows98, because I have another comp with it as the OS and gaming is fine. So is it just WindowsXP? Is it because I am not using administrive properties? That is the only idea I could think of.
Old 08-15-2004, 11:10 PM   #2
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Sounds to be your vid card is not up to the WinXp task whilst running 3D games. If you are having to set the preferences, then once done, WinXp is returning to it's default, can only lead to vid card, OR monitor. Which is the oldest of the two? Do you have current drivers for both?

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Old 08-15-2004, 11:17 PM   #3
SecretMaster
Apophis

My computer monitor is older than the comp itself. W've had it for awhile, maybe 3-4 yrs. The comp we got a year and a half ago.

But then why does it work on Windows 98, with an even older computer and older OS with a monitor that is aged the same with the new computer monitor?
Old 08-16-2004, 12:53 AM   #4
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

It takes a lot of computer to run Win Xp, and even more to run 3D games on one. Check the web site for your monitor, and see if they still carry at least the driver for it.

Win98 is a very simple OS, doesn't want much, doesn't need much, and doesn't do much. Handles older game well, and newer games somewhat shakey.

Programers write for the most up to date hardware on the market. Then the 2nd string comes in and down programs to fit the need of "most" people. I run WinXp, with a middle of the road custom build, and play some of what you mentioned. My monitor is ancient, but it still performs, was one of the first 19" to hit the market, now the company only has the WinXp driver for it's rememberance.

If your vid card is capable, and drivers are updated, I would check the monitor's website for a WinXp driver.

A dull light has emerged in the back of my mind. I'm away from home on my issue laptop, Win2K. But, somewhere I'm thinking you need to find the WinXp games = desktop, and either check or uncheck the run 3D games as the same as desktop display.

Bungelau can you provide some more help?

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Old 08-16-2004, 01:04 AM   #5
dplax
Jack Burton

I run both NWN and Wizardry on Win XP and have had none of the problems you had. What Felix suggested is all good, I would also suggest running Adaware and a virus scan.
Old 08-16-2004, 03:11 AM   #6
Rikard T'Aranaxz
Harper

XP hates Settles2 though :<