Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2004, 06:24 PM   #1
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

At least I hope it's pulled and not torn. I have no medical insurance. I'm a frigging alien. Right now, I just want to get on a plane.

I did it playing softball of all things. Running between bases. Should have stuck to cricket.

Anyone else here ever pulled a hammy?

http://www.hughwilson.com
Old 08-20-2004, 06:28 PM   #2
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Several times when i was still playing football. The only cure i know of is rest, rest, and rest some more.
Old 08-20-2004, 06:29 PM   #3
Arledrian
Egyptian Goddess of the Dead

I'd stop by a local chemists and ask what they've got for muscle strains. Pretty often they'll have some really effective ointment which you can smear over the affected area and within days it'll feel a lot better. I'm sitting things out at home right now myself since I have a bout of back pain, but I've picked up some cream and it's really helping. It's worth a shot on your part, anyway. If you'd torn your hamstring, you'd be in agony, so I think you're going to be alright. Just take it easy and rest as much as you can. I hope you feel better soon. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-20-2004, 06:31 PM   #4
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Really? That helps Arledrian.... I heard a popping sound when it went. (Saturday) I WAS in agony. Really really sore, but now it's six days old. I have a dull ache in the back centre of the thigh, that hurts if I move it the wrong way. Walking around with a black cane.

Old 08-20-2004, 06:49 PM   #5
Lady Sedai
Banned User

Well, I wish you'd posted something sooner because I've some advice that may help. I used to work for a physical rehab therapist and learned much about sports injuries, etc.

Better when the injury is fresh, but as I've sprained AND a couple of times torn the ligament in my ankle (a couple of the worst times when I was playing...you got it ...softball [img]tongue.gif[/img] ), I can tell you one thing that CAN and may still help you is to take a bath with Epsom salts.

These are cheap and can be found in grocery as well as drug stores.

Get the bath water as hot as you can stand it (don't want to burn yourself) and add the Epsom salts. Relax in the water until it gets to room temperature.

The way to go is moist heat most times with things like this.

Now if it was the first day or so, I'd say alternate that with ice packs. You can still do that, but I doubt you've any residual swelling anymore if you can walk without screaming. So now I'd just suggest using one of the creams that Arledrian mentioned. IcyHot is the BEST for this.

Take your bath and get that muscle relaxed, then wait about 20 minutes and rub in some of the cream and let it go to work.

Also, if you aren't already...consider firmly, but not tightly, wrapping the leg with an Ace bandage if you will be walking much.

Lastly, don't "baby" it too much for *too* long. Make sure you gently stretch as far as is comfortable after a couple of weeks of rest or the muscle will just knot up on you.

You have to find a nice balance between rest and rehab for the muscle. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Hope that helps. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-20-2004, 08:32 PM   #6
Lauren
Baaz Draconian

Ouch Yorik... well I hope it heals soon... just don't do too much with it, you just need to give in a rest and put a bandage on it tightly.

No I've never really pulled a hammy, I have twisted my ankle and had internal stomach injuries from playing softball though.
"So many thoughts running through my head, I know what you feel, I know what you dread; When a room's filled with laughter, when a room's filled with lies, you're the only one I know that's in disguise..."
Old 08-20-2004, 08:34 PM   #7
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

In the Army we use buddy team for hamstring stretch. You lay flat on your back, and lift your leg as high as possible. Your buddy then places his shoulder just below the ankle joint (calf side) and lightly places both hands just above the knee (thigh side) to maintain, but not pressure to a straight line. He then gently moves forward until YOU tell him to hold. This will give a even and complete stretch of the hamstring. Hold this for a moderate 10 count and change legs. If you are still too sore, just do it once maybe 3 times daily, working upto a slow 10 count 3 times, by twice a day. Once you are healed, you can treat yourself by using a towel as a stirrup, and evenly pulling with your hands, ensuring you keep your knee straight, but not locked.

Hope you are well soon, and can get on that airplane and go.

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Old 08-21-2004, 12:25 AM   #8
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by Lady Sedai:
Well, I wish you'd posted something sooner because I've some advice that may help. I used to work for a physical rehab therapist and learned much about sports injuries, etc.

Better when the injury is fresh, but as I've sprained AND a couple of times torn the ligament in my ankle (a couple of the worst times when I was playing...you got it ...softball [img]tongue.gif[/img] ), I can tell you one thing that CAN and may still help you is to take a bath with Epsom salts.

These are cheap and can be found in grocery as well as drug stores.

Get the bath water as hot as you can stand it (don't want to burn yourself) and add the Epsom salts. Relax in the water until it gets to room temperature.

The way to go is moist heat most times with things like this.

Now if it was the first day or so, I'd say alternate that with ice packs. You can still do that, but I doubt you've any residual swelling anymore if you can walk without screaming. So now I'd just suggest using one of the creams that Arledrian mentioned. IcyHot is the BEST for this.

Take your bath and get that muscle relaxed, then wait about 20 minutes and rub in some of the cream and let it go to work.

Also, if you aren't already...consider firmly, but not tightly, wrapping the leg with an Ace bandage if you will be walking much.

Lastly, don't "baby" it too much for *too* long. Make sure you gently stretch as far as is comfortable after a couple of weeks of rest or the muscle will just knot up on you.

You have to find a nice balance between rest and rehab for the muscle. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Hope that helps. [img]smile.gif[/img]
This is awesome.

I used to pull the muscle when I was in primary school. Would you believe, I'd pull it highjumping, and then run (and win) 100m sprints, in absolute agony, not knowing what was wrong. When I finally got to highschool, I found it a wierd sensation to run without pain. Can you believe it?? In my final year, I had to choose between going to the State of NSW meet in the 400m and longjump, and doing the school play/musical. No prises for guessing which life choice I made.

Consequently, I haven't pulled it since. It never hurt this bad though. This was agony. Pure agony. I managed to get to the base, and then slid down screaming.

I do have icey hot that someone lent me. I've been using that. Good to know that's a good thing.
I had an older woman help me on the field. She gave me some stretches at the time, once I was able, to see what damage was done. She put ice on it then, so I did have ice on it most of that saturday.

More than anything the advice here gives me piece of mind. I can't tell you the anxiety I have living here without health insurance. It's something I really need to sort out. It's so, so difficult changing countries, where simply surviving, simple everyday things you take for granted are really different. Tax, medicines, car ownership, licenses, immigration... it's all really tough, when you're self employed, starting from zero, as an artist.

Thankfully work is picking up again. I did have insurance through SAG, but it lapsed. Then work dried up for the summer. Summer sucks. Should be holidaying, but no money means no ability to relax.

But I'm getting married in October. My fiancee is on me about my health. She's intending to see me live longer than my musician lifestyle would otherwise see me live. [img]smile.gif[/img] She's a simply amazing woman. Can't believe it. [img]smile.gif[/img] That will "earth" me into America more. Although get this. She's dual citizen. American/European Union. So, we'll have the trifecta. European, Australian and American right of abode. Wild!

Old 08-21-2004, 12:28 AM   #9
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by Felix The Assassin:
In the Army we use buddy team for hamstring stretch. You lay flat on your back, and lift your leg as high as possible. Your buddy then places his shoulder just below the ankle joint (calf side) and lightly places both hands just above the knee (thigh side) to maintain, but not pressure to a straight line. He then gently moves forward until YOU tell him to hold. This will give a even and complete stretch of the hamstring. Hold this for a moderate 10 count and change legs. If you are still too sore, just do it once maybe 3 times daily, working upto a slow 10 count 3 times, by twice a day. Once you are healed, you can treat yourself by using a towel as a stirrup, and evenly pulling with your hands, ensuring you keep your knee straight, but not locked.

Hope you are well soon, and can get on that airplane and go.
I'm going to try this tomorrow! Thanks Felix! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Old 08-21-2004, 12:54 AM   #10
Dron_Cah
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Defend Your Castle Champion Frogger Champion Monkey Diving Champion Summer Games Champion Donkey Kong Champion
Moon Lander Champion Space Invaders Champion
Well, you seem to have the muscle strain covered, so I'll just offer my congratulations on your pending wedding, and move. [img]smile.gif[/img]