Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 06-10-2003, 10:39 AM   #41
DJG
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Attalus:
quote:
Originally posted by DJG:

But it seems that your president thinks God will support them if they decide to blow the world up with a series of Nuclear Warheads!

Just exactly what is your source for this extremely offensive posting? The President is religious, just as the majority of Americans are, and just like Roosevelt (and Jimmy Carter, whom some Europeans seem toregard as some kind of paragon) was. [/QUOTE]I am not saying there is anything wrong with being extremely religious. I'm a catholic, and believe in God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit etc. It just seems from my perspective (And I realise that my perspective may include tainted sources) that he thinks everything he does is right, and that God will support him.

And I said that I meant no offense. I am expressing my opinion.
Old 06-10-2003, 10:47 AM   #42
Stratos
Vampire

Well I heard from somewhere a while ago ( Sorry I don't have the source, it was a TV show) that some researchers had pondered and tried to figure out why Americans seemed to be, or at least act, more patriotic than most other western democracies. The answer they gave was this:

The US consist of 180 or so different groups. These included religious, political and ethnic groups. Many of these have different values that may be in conflict with those of another group, and to counter this Americans would need a common ground, something to unite them ( or you if you're an American) as a people. Otherwise there would be a risk, albeit a small one, that the US would fall apart. So all the patriotic stuff that may seem a bit silly to non-Americans is instead essential for USA. Supposedly this is something that's more subconscious than anything else.
Old 06-10-2003, 10:52 AM   #43
DJG
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Stratos:
Well I heard from somewhere a while ago ( Sorry I don't have the source, it was a TV show) that some researchers had pondered and tried to figure out why Americans seemed to be, or at least act, more patriotic than most other western democracies. The answer they gave was this:

The US consist of 180 or so different groups. These included religious, political and ethnic groups. Many of these have different values that may be in conflict with those of another group, and to counter this Americans would need a common ground, something to unite them ( or you if you're an American) as a people. Otherwise there would be a risk, albeit a small one, that the US would fall apart. So all the patriotic stuff that may seem a bit silly to non-Americans is instead essential for USA. Supposedly this is something that's more subconscious than anything else.
Interesting.......

I never saw it this way! Good point! [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
Old 06-10-2003, 10:55 AM   #44
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Donut:
quote:
Originally posted by Timber Loftis:
No offense, Donut, but I cite you as proof of British patriotism. You are VERY quick to rush to the defense of the crown when anyone questions the way England does anything.
Sorry Timber, this just proves that you know little about me. What I will do is try to correct factual errors.

I would very much like to see an example of me rushing to the defence of the crown! The very thought makes me chuckle.
[/QUOTE]
Having been completely and totally educated on exactly what Donut thinks of the crown, I have to agree with him here...can't recall ever seeing him post anything patriotic. Only a quick trigger to correct misconseptions...such as my thinking that because British Naval personnel seem to take the Crown seriously, that it would also be that way for other british people.

Old 06-10-2003, 11:03 AM   #45
Leonis
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Donut:
Sorry Timber, this just proves that you know little about me. What I will do is try to correct factual errors.

I would very much like to see an example of me rushing to the defence of the crown! The very thought makes me chuckle.
Well I never!
I for one, would rush to the defence of the crown in an instant! Shame Donut, shame!
Old 06-10-2003, 11:04 AM   #46
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
The US consist of 180 or so different groups. These included religious, political and ethnic groups. Many of these have different values that may be in conflict with those of another group, and to counter this Americans would need a common ground, something to unite them ( or you if you're an American) as a people. Otherwise there would be a risk, albeit a small one, that the US would fall apart.
I have always said that the central conundrum for us as Americans is that the one thing we all agree on and use as our central tenet -- Freedom -- the one thing that binds us all together, is that nothing need bind us together at all.
Old 06-10-2003, 11:18 AM   #47
Sir Taliesin
Silver Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Spelca:
You make it seem as if there would be no morality there if there wasn't religion in the White House. But we won't go down this path again... [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Not necessarily what I meant, though I think if you are a religous person, you do follow some sort of morality. but I also think if you aren't a religious person you can still be moral. I find most people are moral. I just didn't see a whole lot of morals in the last administration.
Old 06-10-2003, 11:23 AM   #48
Sir Taliesin
Silver Dragon

Quote:

When you think about it, this is a very true statement. I also think diversity is what makes the United States so unique in the world. I also think that's why other countries solutions to many problems don't necessarily work for us.
Old 06-10-2003, 11:24 AM   #49
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Taliesin:
I find most people are moral. I just didn't see a whole lot of morals in the last administration.
Sir T, I'm wondering if there is a logic disconnect here:

Most people are moral.
Persons in the Administration are people.
Therefore, few people in the Administration are moral. [img]graemlins/1ponder.gif[/img]

Maybe they're just Master Moralists rather than Slave Moralists. Morality is subjective on many levels. The first world is generally Slave Morality-based. Not necessarily a GoodThing(tm). Is it truly better to be Dionysian in our moral code rather than Appollonian? Sorry if I just hauled out too much Nietszche for the group.
Old 06-10-2003, 11:48 AM   #50
Sir Taliesin
Silver Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Timber Loftis:
quote:
Originally posted by Sir Taliesin:
I find most people are moral. I just didn't see a whole lot of morals in the last administration.
Sir T, I'm wondering if there is a logic disconnect here:

Most people are moral.
Persons in the Administration are people.
Therefore, few people in the Administration are moral. [img]graemlins/1ponder.gif[/img]

Maybe they're just Master Moralists rather than Slave Moralists. Morality is subjective on many levels. The first world is generally Slave Morality-based. Not necessarily a GoodThing(tm). Is it truly better to be Dionysian in our moral code rather than Appollonian? Sorry if I just hauled out too much Nietszche for the group.
[/QUOTE]Sorry TL, but I thought the last administration (Clinton) lacked morals or even moral guidence. However, I still think most people are moral, just not many in politics. Nor do I think people must be religous to have morals, but I find religion tends to give moral guidence. At least most do. That's what I meant.

Now after castigating Clinton and his administration, let me point out that Bush hasn't completed his term and still has many opportuniies ahead to take the wrong path. Would I be shocked? Not really politics being what it is; a corruptor of man. What was it said about power and all that?

BTW, you need to pull a Dobby and beat yourself about the head and ears for bring out all that Nietszche stuff. Makes my head hurt. :