Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 01-29-2002, 11:52 AM   #1
MagiK

Rights! Everyone knows they have rights, a lot of people will argue what comprise their rights, some people think they have the right to toaster ovens, others think they have the right to a free ride...but why oh why oh why are the words that should go along with the word right so ofent ignored completely?

Words like say:

Accountability & Responsibility

With each right comes an associated accountability and responsibility. Are you rpepared to face the responisbility and be held accountable? People young and old seem to always remember their rights but forget those other two important words that go along with it.

People who abuse the rights of others, should most certainly be held accountable and responsible for their actions.

Thats my DEEP THOUGHT for the day...thank you and good night!

Old 01-30-2002, 09:11 AM   #2
Garnet FalconDance
Mephistopheles

I think accountability and responsibility *should* be *automatically* assumed, but most often are forgotten.

And how do you define without error what a right is? As you pointed out, some claim a 'right' of ownership to certain appliances or the 'right' to access government benefits. But what exactly is the definition of a 'right'?

The right for shelter?

The right to food?

The right to worship in the manner you wish, unfettered and unencumbered by any other entity (ie government or other societal body)?

Where exactly is it written what comprises a right? And are 'rights' common to all men and women?
Old 01-30-2002, 09:59 AM   #3
Zbyszek

Some anti-thougth:

Since most of people are not responsible they should not have any rights.

Responsible for own family, country, whole planet, ecosystem, species?
What about other species?

One right stands in opposition to other. Most of people want to have right to consume, to procreate, to have luxuries, to boil dinner.
When we take a look for all military and political conflicts (social probably also) we see that all sides want to have rights. Rigth to land, to ideas, style of life.

My point of view: no rights just responsibility
Old 01-30-2002, 02:06 PM   #4
Garnet FalconDance
Mephistopheles

Zbyszek--the more I thought about what you said, the more I agreed with you. Which is probably what I was thinking (tho not saying so well) when I posed my questions.
Old 01-30-2002, 11:07 PM   #5
Pangur Ban

quote:
Originally posted by Garnet FalconDance:
I think accountability and responsibility *should* be *automatically* assumed, but most often are forgotten.

And how do you define without error what a right is? As you pointed out, some claim a 'right' of ownership to certain appliances or the 'right' to access government benefits. But what exactly is the definition of a 'right'?

The right for shelter?

The right to food?

The right to worship in the manner you wish, unfettered and unencumbered by any other entity (ie government or other societal body)?

Where exactly is it written what comprises a right? And are 'rights' common to all men and women?

Lets hear it for accountability and responsibility. I agree, they are to easily forgotton or worse, ignored.

Just to be depressing ...

There are no *rights*, other that what we give ourselves.

OK, say we have the *right* to free speech. Who actually enforces this? Its not some mystical, inalienable presence. Its us poor humans, the ones that came up with the *right* in the first place.

So called *rights* are agreements between people to specify certain codes of behaviour, *supposedly* for mutual benefit. And what we agree on today, we can just as easily disagree about tomorrow !!

[img]graemlins/cat3.gif[/img]
Old 01-31-2002, 12:14 AM   #6
Mellagar

I say that everyone should draw straws and be done with it.
Old 01-31-2002, 07:38 AM   #7
MagiK

quote:
Originally posted by Garnet FalconDance:

The right for shelter?

The right to food?

Usually in the USA we refer to the Bill of rights, for other countries I don't know....

Old 01-31-2002, 12:55 PM   #8
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Eleanor Roosevelt drafted "The Universal Declaration of Human Rights" and had it passed through the United Nations in 1948. A copy of the document can be found here.

Cheers,

"And all my days are trances, and all my nightly dreams,
Are where thy grey eye glances, and where thy footstep gleams,
In what ethereal dances, by what eternal streams..."
Old 01-31-2002, 12:58 PM   #9
MagiK

quote:
Originally posted by Sazerac:
Eleanor Roosevelt drafted "The Universal Declaration of Human Rights" and had it passed through the United Nations in 1948. A copy of the document can be found here.

Cheers,

Coolness Saz [img]smile.gif[/img] Thanks.

Old 01-31-2002, 01:15 PM   #10
DragonMage
20th Level Warrior

AAAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEIIIIIIAAAAAAA! (big, Tarzan-yell )

*Breanna, clad in a faux-fur Jane-like loincloth, swings on a vine into the thread, cuts the link away, grabs it and swings back out*

In other words...thanks for that link, Saz! [img]smile.gif[/img] And one of my biggest peeves, dear MagiK, is just that, that people DEMAND this and that, but they don't accept the responsibilities that go along with having 'this and that'. One of my biggest is driving. One question though...why is it that people (teens most of all) think they have the RIGHT to a drive a vehicle just because they have passed a test? When will people finally remember that driving is a PRIVILEGE??? [img]tongue.gif[/img] (And this is in NO way a cut on teens, just that the instances of irresponsibility with vehicles is higher amongst teenagers. )

[ 01-31-2002: Message edited by: DragonMage ]

[img]\"http://home.earthlink.net/~moraine_sedai/_uimages/dragonmage.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> [img]\"ubb/noncgi/smiles/hero2.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Alureth...Dragon friend of Lady Breanna<br /><br />Co-Owner/Operator of the Evil Petting Zoo and devout member of the HADB clan.<br />Commander of the Dragon Fleet, IW Peacekeeping Force<br />Mother Hen of IW and Mage extraordinaire.<br /><br />Utterly in love with my soul mate, Hiram.