Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2003, 09:04 AM   #1
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Took the first step several months ago, and finally got around to completing the game for the first time (as a Mage). [img]smile.gif[/img] I was a bit shocked at how short the game was though... especially when you consider that it had 4 CDs. Total number of gamedays? 29... ...

I suppose the PITA issue of trying to find a place to sleep helped. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

I also discovered, although to no surprise, that I had missed out on a lot of subquests.

"What do you mean you never encountered Vhailor?!?! *froths at mouth*"

"So I was a little too anxious to click on the exit portal and not look behind it." [img]tongue.gif[/img]

My favourite moment in the game; when you play with the Modron Toy and tease Morte with it. [img]graemlins/lol.gif[/img]

No, I did not know it could lead you to Nodrom either.

Most tense moment in the game; using Annah solely to clear out the entire Baalor Plane via backstabbing with hit-run-stealth tactics.

How was I suppose to know that 70 Blood Charms is not enough to last the trip from Carceni and that there will be no decent shops or sleeping spots for aaaages? [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Most frustrating but satisifying battle in the game; fighting Trias with an average party level of 12 (remember, I did not do most of the sidequests, and was down to like 10 Blood Charms)... I had to reload about 8 times before I finally nailed the sucker (through extreme usage of high level spell scrolls and Swarm Curse).

"I'm half-dead, have no healing spells, could not even hold up against the demons in the town below, am homesick, but hey! You know what? Let's just compound our misery by challenging a Deva."

Most illogical but handy game mechanism; all spells get restored when you level up. It was very surreal when after using up all my spells, I walk around, solve some puzzles, talk to VIP NPCs and voila! Level up and instant memorisation of all spells. Nifty... in the Lower Planes when resting was just about out of the question. Levelling up during a battle is just evil.

Most frustrating bug(s); for some reason, when Dak'kon reached a certain level, his spellcasting and THACO became weird. He kept on missing and could only hit on Criticals. When I turned on the To Hit Rolls display, it showed that he had a whopping -70 to -90 THACO penalty... everybody else could roll as per normal. I have no idea what caused this, but it was pretty bad because Dak'kon was supposed to be my main tank after Morte. With Dak'kon out of commission, fighting in the Lower Planes (especially the Deva) became even harder. When Dak'kon casts any spell that increases STR, it reduces STR instead... this was very irritating.

[ 11-11-2003, 09:20 AM: Message edited by: Dundee Slaytern ]

Land of the Psycho-moe
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 11:28 AM   #2
Zuvio
Gold Dragon

PST is a wonderful game! I picked it up at a local media store for Fl15,- which was about $7 US!! Played and plaued it and after finishing it for the 2nd time, got me a walkthrough and was in awe at the number of things I haven't seen in the game yet. Both times I went all out fighting, cuz I couldn't (for some odd reason [img]graemlins/saywhat.gif[/img] ) figure out the spell system or maybe I thought it didn't pay off too well, whatever. I thought the atmosphere of the game was tremendous, the dark and weirdness of it all, and some of the psycho characters!! LOvely The game is also cool from beginning till end, with the final boss being really nicely done [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 11-13-2003, 04:06 AM   #3
the mighty stamar

One of my favorite games ever.

Ya Id go back and do the modorn toy thing, it generates a random dugeon to fight things in. Pretty cool... sort of a parody of crpgs that part.
the mighty stamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 04:13 AM   #4
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Just a hollar to let people know that I am making better AI scripts for the party NPCs. So far I have completed Morte. Dak'kon and the Nameless One (Mage script) have basic scripts, but only up till level 2 spells. They will all now *GASP!* eat charms when they are low on Health. Dak'kon and Morte will now engage enemies instead of reacting to them.

Going to do Fall from Grace next. I plan to edit the script that makes her run halfway across a map to heal a party member on a stealth mission. [img]tongue.gif[/img] Under my plan, she will only heal people if they are in her line of sight.
Old 11-13-2003, 04:18 AM   #5
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Dundee Slaytern:
Just a hollar to let people know that I am making better AI scripts for the party NPCs. So far I have completed Morte. Dak'kon and the Nameless One (Mage script) have basic scripts, but only up till level 2 spells. They will all now *GASP!* eat charms when they are low on Health. Dak'kon and Morte will now engage enemies instead of reacting to them.

Going to do Fall from Grace next. I plan to edit the script that makes her run halfway across a map to heal a party member on a stealth mission. [img]tongue.gif[/img] Under my plan, she will only heal people if they are in her line of sight.
Great! And congrats on completing one of the greatest CRPGS ever!
Old 11-13-2003, 07:48 AM   #6
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

anybody nice enough... no, rich enough to send me down a copy (burned so it won't affect you guys that much)? we guys have NO torment here anymore... it makes me want to cry... hehehe

but no i am serious... if anybody can help you just PM me and we can discuss it at least...

Nice going dundee... i played the game... far longer than you did... i was so enamored with the dialogue... and had to redo some quests... hehehe
Bahamut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 08:10 AM   #7
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Took some searching, but Amazon has 2 copies left.

Here you go,

Click Here US$29.99 (excluding shipping I believe)

[ 11-13-2003, 08:13 AM: Message edited by: Dundee Slaytern ]
Old 11-13-2003, 08:21 AM   #8
Stratos
Vampire

Lucky me I got a copy of the game a few month after it was released. It IS a great game, isn't it?

I would also do the Modron Maze if I were you, Dundee. There's a hidden joinable NPC there and a scroll for a very good spell.
Old 11-14-2003, 10:56 PM   #9
KaneBloodstorm
Dungeon Master

I hate being the resident idiot but , What's PST?
KaneBloodstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2003, 12:06 AM   #10
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Planescape:Torment.