Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum

Old 07-29-2005, 12:51 PM   #1
Aerich
Lord Ao

Bear in mind this will be my first full run through the game. I've been sidetracked a few times. I'm a little leery of my perceived lack of dedicated healing and melee power. Question is simple - will this be enough? I've managed fairly well with a high AC tank, healing potions, and strategic fighting so far. However, my main healer is the second-option tank, in addition to being evil (does being evil block access to major healing and resurrection spells, as in IWD 1?), and my secondary healer (druid multiclass) is a long ways away from access to the Heal spell.

The party is now exactly midway through the Ice Temple. It started with a core of four characters, and added one at the crash site and another in the area outside the Ice Temple. Stats are fairly powergamish.

The core group:

Deep Gnome Monk[8] - tank, tank, and more tank. Draws 80% of the melee attention and often harasses casters and archers, bringing melee enemies along in the wake. Usually buffed to the gills.

Human Fighter[1]/Stormlord of Talos[9] (evil) - casts a spell or two then joins melee. Spells about equally split between buffs, healing, and pure offense. Using axe or mace.

Drow Rogue[3]/Wizard[5] - obligatory rogue, multipurpose caster. Mostly casts buffs (Cat's Grace, MI, Eagle Splendour), with the odd CO or MM. Dedicated archer and sometimes sneak attacker. Has expertise to offset being targeted by something he can't handle in melee.

Aasimar Paladin[2]/Sorceress[8] - bombs away. 1st and 3rd level damage-dealing spells, primarily uses Web (also MI, Scorcher) at 2nd level and Stoneskin at 4th. Poor strength, but uses the moonblade if pressed in close.

The additions:

Human Bard[5] - projects as pure party-support. Has the Wisdom to multiclass to Druid and will do so. Is level-squatting right now. Poor physical stats. Singing Tymora's Melody 95% of the time (I never before realized that Luck was such a killer status effect). Spells are status effects (CO, Luck) and enchantments.

Human Sorceror[6] - officially bomber #2. In reality, is focusing on enchantment and other disruptive spells (Melf's, CO, MM) with a bit of necromancy (Skull Trap) thrown in.

Playing style - cautious and canny. This party is focused on strategic preparation and placement. Monk decoy/tank scouts, draws the fire and holds the line against huge odds. Spellcasters/archers make melee opposition manageable with Web and target dangerous opponents with spells and concentrated missile fire. If flanked, monk holds the front line while remaining party members go full-out to meet the new threat. I tend to conserve pure damage spells for "necessary" times - AoE bombardment against massed enemies, single-target spells against dangerous casters, and anything goes in chaotic fights.

[ 07-29-2005, 12:54 PM: Message edited by: Aerich ]
Old 07-29-2005, 01:11 PM   #2
Vassago
Manshoon

It sounds like you've got a pretty solid party. Are you finding yourself doing a lot of healing? Do you have one or two characters that end up getting a smack down? If not, I wouldn't worry about it and just proceed as you have. It sounds from your party's makeup and tactics that you have every thing under control.
Old 07-29-2005, 10:17 PM   #3
Marty4
Symbol of Cyric

Solid, I've found that magical based parties are reasonable (if played carefully) in the beginning, and open a never before seen can of whoopass when you get to the later stages of the game, or HoF.

I'm pretty sure that evil clerics still get healing and resurection spells, since all clerics have the same normal spells (only domain spells are different).
Marty4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 01:09 AM   #4
Aerich
Lord Ao

Ok good to know. I've found this game much easier so far than the other times I started. It helped a lot to start out with a party of four, as it gave my ECLs a headstart on levels and HP- particularly the DG monk.

No, I'm not really finding myself doing a lot of healing. The monk takes about 60% of the total damage sustained by the party, but the focus on AC buffs means he usually just gets hit on criticals. I have a huge collection of healing potions left over from the Horde Fortress, and am using those for minor healing and in-combat healing instead of spells - especially as I can't take advantage of spontaneous healing spells. The recent addition of Stoneskin to my collection of buffs will turn the monk into even more of a damage sponge.
Old 07-30-2005, 05:17 AM   #5
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

Actually, two spells are different with evil Clerics. They are Blasphemy(like Holy Word, but useless) and that equally useless purple rain thing. What is it, Blight or something?
Oh, and Marty is right, magic-based parties are tough in the begining, but later, when you have about 20 nukes with which you can just start combat, it gets pretty powerful. And the, there's the case of the Buff-oriented party. I once started one such party, had two sorcerers, a wizard, a cleric, a druid and a Paladin/Barbarian. The spellcasters did nothing but buff the Pally/Barb. You can't imagine how powerful one can become with a ton of buffs on him.
Old 07-30-2005, 05:44 AM   #6
Aerich
Lord Ao

The spell is Unholy Blight. No good (same as Blasphemy) because the overwhelming majority of enemies are evil and therefore immune.

What do you consider the beginning of a game? Have I passed that stage yet with a lvl 8 DG? It's been actually quite easy so far, as I don't have to micromanage the monk to ensure survival.

Sounds like fun with the buff-oriented party. I find the monk pretty powerful with 8-10 buffs on him, and I can imagine the killer effect of high-level spells...

One question, though - how did you get a pally/barb? I'm pretty sure they don't cross over with the alignment restrictions (LG vs. any non-lawful).
Old 07-30-2005, 07:22 AM   #7
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

I specifically installed the alignment bypass of the EoU for that one.
And for me, the beginning of the game is about until you get the Bag of Holding [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 07-30-2005, 01:11 PM   #8
Marty4
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Bozos of Bones:
I specifically installed the alignment bypass of the EoU for that one.
And for me, the beginning of the game is about until you get the Bag of Holding [img]tongue.gif[/img]
If I installed the alignment bypass, I think I'd much prefer a paladin/dreadmaster/monk
Marty4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 08:47 AM   #9
PoleCat
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I just finished the game using a Deep Gnome monk and I loved him. Ended up with 37 AC before using buff spells - with stoneskin, cat's grace etc he rocks! Only one problem - be sure to give him a magical weapon with a high enchantment for later heavy monsters because his fist attack can't hit anything with any +damage resistances. Before I figured this out I used to get really pissed because I thought he just couldn't hit the broad side of a barn.

On another note, I think wizards are mostly useless except as mobile buffing platforms. In a lot of late battles I found that my 2 wizards were just standing around doing nothing as late game monsters have high resistances/immunities to damage spells and others like Disintegration, especially the final battle. Although to be fair I only got to 7th level spells because I multi them to Fighter4 for bow specialty.

Otherwise it is a strong party.
PoleCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 12:12 PM   #10
Aerich
Lord Ao

Yeah, the damage resistances can be tough. I sometimes switch to axe, but the monk's main role is to delay/annoy melee troops, so the amount of damage done isn't the main consideration.

With wizards, don't overlook the value of Enchantment spells. Chaos is a great spell.