Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal

Old 02-21-2002, 07:25 AM   #1
Faceman
Hathor

Don't you think ToB was more a downgrade than an upgrade on the optical side. I think the artwork was far better in SoA. Also the mass fights somehow remind me of Diablo II. I think from SoA to ToB about the same thing happened as from Diablo I to II: Weapons and enemies got uglier (not meaning more scary), more comic-like and fights became big slaughterfests.
Old 02-21-2002, 08:20 AM   #2
Galadria
20th Level Warrior

Faceman, I couldn't agree more. Every way that you turn, it's all a big battle. I would have preferred much more problem-solving, and different magical contests. I think that "Spellstrike was on my stepson's "Mage's "Favorite spell" for a while, and mine is always Greater Whirlwind." Plus, the NPC's endings mostly suck.
Lady Galadria,Goddess\' Equal of the O.R.T.; [img]\"http://havak.db-forge.com/portraits/bitmaps/wlf180L.bmp\" alt=\" - \" /><br />\"Romance at short notice was her specialty.\" - Saki <br />Founder of the IW Branch of the Anti-Anomen Society
Galadria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2002, 01:41 PM   #3
Jan

I agree with both of you. Too much hack and slash. With a high level berserker with AC -24 when enrage and 270 HP I can just say "bring the lambs to the slaughter".
Old 02-24-2002, 11:21 AM   #4
Talthyr Malkaviel
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I know aht you mean, with a sorcerer level 20-something it's not really much of a challenge anymore, a least not with time stops and a handful of dragons breaths etc.
Old 02-24-2002, 11:37 AM   #5
J'aran
Mephistopheles

I totally agree about the artwork too, especially the weapon-icons. They look like they were done very hastily. And besides looking ugly, some don't resemble their proper weapon-type too. I mean, the Short Sword of Mask is as long as any longsword, and that scimitar, wotsitcalledagain, Spectral something, that damn thing is as straight as a very straight thing! Again it looks just like a longsword. That could've been done so much better.
J'aran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2002, 06:00 PM   #6
jabidas
Silver Dragon

Honestly I liked lots of it, thought Amkethran was very nice, as was Saradush. As for the dungeons, well thats what they are. Anyone but me think the Music was a HUGE improvment on SoA though.
Old 02-26-2002, 08:45 AM   #7
Whailor

I don't mind the battle on every step at all. Many of us have played the BG since the first part - didn't you ever pay attention to the "words of Alaundo"? The Prophecy? It was said that the children of Bhaal will cause chaos and mess and it all ends with the big war between them, and many Joe Shcmoes and Mary-Shmary's will get smacked in the process as well. It's all known since you met these 4 monks at the Candlekeep Castle in the courtyard, they were chanting this over and over.. It has been the story of war and conflict in the making all the time, not some Snowwhite or Cinderella fairytale.
Old 02-26-2002, 09:43 AM   #8
Faceman
Hathor

Actually I was referring to the artwork in the forst place.
The big battles DO bother me. I just like a good plain hard battle against one opponent (Draconis for example) and although it is not as ridiculous as in DiabloII some battles at Sendai's enclave e.g or the barracks in Saradush are just annoying (equipped with the new bard's song and a Gaxxring you can gain infinite XP at Sendai's without getting hurt).
Yet I think ToB is UGLY. If you look at the portraits of Melissan, Balthazar,... they have less details and are more comic-like (brighter colors, no shadows, round shapes ...). The Fire Giants ARE big, but they don't look very fierce as round-shaped as they are. Also the equipment. The Runehammer looks as if if was WB and most of the armor looks like Disney. I also agree with the argument, that the Spectral Brand is straight ... but these are mere details.
What really matters to me is the different color setting and the drawings in general.
You can tell with one look if something is SoA or ToB
Old 02-26-2002, 10:37 AM   #9
Whailor

Well, there are games with much worse graphics. You also have a choice, as a gamemaker - add all the purty stuff or make it run fast. I think you don't give to BG team enough credits - did you by chance perhaps not notice the little fact that this game DOES NOT require you to have 3d accelerator card? That it runs quite well with all the sparkles and bolts even on some lower end cards, what other game makers don't even dare to mention anymore? That it doesn't tell that you need crapload of memory and a PC as powerful as some NASA mainframe? No, this little baby runs quite well even on these PC's what even I don't call a "computer" anymore.

Look on the reality rather then bashing it with dreams. BG games are actually done rather well, they run very well even on low-end systems without losing much, if anything, even then. Sure there are better quality or better looking games out there, but these also have some hefty requirements and not all yet can afford such requirements. I have the "stuff" for higher requirements, but I admit that it's well done and allows everyone to play it with wide variety of hardware.
Old 02-26-2002, 10:47 AM   #10
Faceman
Hathor

quote:
Originally posted by Whailor:
did you by chance perhaps not notice the little fact that this game DOES NOT require you to have 3d accelerator card?

I am completely misunderstood again! The last thing I want is BaldursGate 3D. My worst fear for NWN is that the RPG-aspect will suffer, while every raindrop is calculated seperately (as in Ultima IX). You are perfectly right, that the BG series looks better than many other games out there does not require expensive hardware and provides one of the best gaming experiences ever.
All I'm saying is, that the artwork of BG1 and SoA was more to my liking than that in ToB, although I have to admit that it seems to be a common problem with upgrades (Diablo-Hellfire was that way and JA2UB too).
But once again I want to point out that I've always been VERY sceptical (if not an open enemy) of the 3D-boom and would certainly not want to see BG modified in that way.