Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 12-13-2010, 04:05 PM   #1
falcon
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Question Mark Similar type games to ID and BG

Hi, can anyone tell me similar games to Icewind Dale & Baldurs Gate. I really like the format and gameplay. I think they are both Black Isle games.

I have played these so many times now so i think time for a new game.

Thanks for any help.
falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 04:10 PM   #2
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Default Re: Similar type games to ID and BG

Neverwinter Nights, while different, is the logical upgrade to these games. Otherwise you could try Planescape: Torment which uses the same engine and gameplay. I am assuming you have played both Baldurs gate 1 and 2 and Icewind Dale 1 and 2. They both have sequels, basically so make sure to check them out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neverwinter_nights

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planescape:_Torment
Old 12-13-2010, 04:57 PM   #3
falcon
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Thanks for the reply and the Wiki links which i've checked out. I've played every BG game going and the original ID inc HOW and ToTL. But i didn't know there was ID 2! So I may go for this one or Planescape which also looks good. Have you played these or able to give a preference?
Just one other thing, i noticed on wiki that in game description it refers to Advanced ; 2nd; and 3rd edition rules. What does this mean?
Thanks
Old 12-13-2010, 06:01 PM   #4
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

IWD2 is third edition I believe, the others are second. You get a lot more character options in IWD2

Last edited by Lord of Alcohol; 12-13-2010 at 07:02 PM.
Lord of Alcohol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 06:03 PM   #5
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

So you have played BG2 then, good.

Yes, there is an IWD2.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iwd2

It is similiar to IWD1 in terms of gameplay with a brand new story. It was one of the last titles using the infinity-engine, resulting in a sleeker and more optimized combat and gameplay system. The best condition the engine has been in yet. The story is nice too. I loved both of the Icewind Dales, and played them for many hours back in the day. Multiplayer is also great fun. You could probably find it on ebay now for like $5. Or bargain bins in game stores.

Planescape Torment is supposed to be excellent. The setting is very different (obviously not Forgotten Realms) and may deter some. But the reviews and people on here rave about the storyline and roleplaying elements.

AD&D 2nd and 3rd edition are different rulesets. Basically, the mechanics work differently. Both IWD2 and NWN's use 3rd edition, which is more streamlined and simple. It is quite easy to get a hang of and with time you will grow to like it. Don't let it deter you.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:01 PM   #6
Hayashi
Silver Dragon

Do yourself a favour and get a copy of Planescape: Torment. Made by the same folks behind BG & IWD. A great game, one of the best RPGs of all time imho.
GOG.com should have this available for digital download. There are also some great mods that make this a pleasure to play on modern day PCs, such as widescreen mods, higher res etc.
Old 12-14-2010, 02:17 AM   #7
falcon
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Thanks for all the replies, been a big help. I'll get both ID2 and Planescape, these should keep me going for a year or two. Next time I post is when i get stuck!
Old 12-14-2010, 04:26 AM   #8
ElfBane
Mephistopheles

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritWarrior View Post
Planescape Torment is supposed to be excellent. The setting is very different (obviously not Forgotten Realms) and may deter some. But the reviews and people on here rave about the storyline and roleplaying elements.
It IS Forgotten Realms. It just isn't Faerun. Sigil is a known port to other parts of the Planes.

Iraq and Afghan fatalities: 6,855 and counting. Silence IS consent.
ElfBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 05:26 AM   #9
Kezardin
Elminster

A possible option in the future is Temple of Elemental Evil - enjoyable but needs a community patch.

These games (PS:T, IWD2, NWN & ToEE) are available as digital downloads from Good Old Games (www.gog.com) and are $6.99 (ToEE is $4.19) each during the Christmas sale.

Last edited by Kezardin; 12-14-2010 at 07:46 AM.
Kezardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 08:23 AM   #10
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Thumbs Up Re: Similar type games to ID and BG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElfBane View Post
It IS Forgotten Realms. It just isn't Faerun. Sigil is a known port to other parts of the Planes.
But it takes place in the Planescape setting doesn't it? Sigil resides in the center of the multiverse according to manual of the planes.

Last edited by SpiritWarrior; 12-14-2010 at 08:26 AM.
SpiritWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote