Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-2005, 08:38 PM   #1
Ziggurat
Symbol of Cyric

Hi folks, I just read a ton of messages from the archives but still can't manage to import a party from Wiz 7 (WizGold).

First, I found out I need an Import subfolder. No problem. I transfered some .SGM files to it but Wiz 8 does not recognize them when you select 7-8 on new party menu. No files listed. I saw mention of .BIK files but can't seem to find any in the WizGold folder. I'm going to try "find file" next to see if they went somewhere else.

I just finished WizGOld again and thought I had some saved end games. Any ideas of where the problem is?

Thanks, Zig
Old 01-24-2005, 09:35 PM   #2
Hopeless Necromantic
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Is the Import folder in the Wiz8 save directory?

It probably shouldn't matter, but have you tried renaming the save file extension (to .end or .sav)?

[ 01-24-2005, 09:58 PM: Message edited by: Hopeless Necromantic ]
Hopeless Necromantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 10:08 PM   #3
Krull
Zhentarim Guard

Yes, HN is right, the Import folder should be under the Saves folder. I have several import saves which end in different extensions such as .sav and .sgm etc.
Krull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 10:12 PM   #4
babar
Manshoon

That's the correct procedure. The only thing you should have to do is copy your .sgm files to the Import directory. Start Wiz8, choose start new game, and then hit the 7-8 button. Maybe you accidently moved your Import folder to a wrong location, because IIRC even you have a non-sgm file in the directory, you should be able to choose it and it will say invalid file or something. Import folder should be in the Saves folder *I think*. I would check for you, but my Wiz is on a different computer.
babar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 12:16 AM   #5
Ziggurat
Symbol of Cyric

Thanks all! I didn't need to create an Import folder, it was under Saves. The game you save by submitting to the Dark Savant just gives you a message you are still drifting in space. I didn't do the other endgames where you choose between Umpani and Trang. The Saving Vi one was good enough. Whole new perspective.

As a bonus to me fooling around with this, I found out that I had been setup for 640 x 480 res. Must have been setup before I doubled RAM. The graphics have MUCH better detail, and by checking setup for sound I got another bonus of getting music and spell sounds back. Whew, I'm in Wiz 8 heaven now! It's been fun bringing up the import party. It's great starting with Enchanted Bow, Elven Bow, paralyze rod, Chain Mail +1, mucho bags/lockets/cross/etc for protection (about 10 of them), two great helms, two sollerets, Hayai Bo, Robes +1, 2 copper gloves and a chamois, Midnight Cloak...I changed some profs and only replaced one character with a faerie ninja. It already looks good at lev 5 (I had 2 lords, 2 ninjas, a monk and a ranger in import). Current party is:

Human bishop
Faerie ninja
Dwarven lord
Felpur samurai
Elven ranger
Dracon rouge
Old 01-25-2005, 04:14 AM   #6
Sinteuil
The Magister

By the way, is there a way to play Wiz Gold on Windows XP? I know you can install the original version using dosbox, but I've never had any luck with Gold... Ideas anyone?
Sinteuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 07:21 AM   #7
Scatter
Symbol of Cyric

I've been playing Gold from the Ultimate Wizardry Archives on XP.
Scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 04:46 PM   #8
Sinteuil
The Magister

Thanks Scatter! I'll have to try and see if I can get that online. Might be fun to have a look at the first game too after all these years! I think it was back in 1983 that I played it on an Apple II plus as a kid!
Sinteuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 09:32 AM   #9
Ziggurat
Symbol of Cyric

Other notes on an import party -

At least two NPC characters have extra dialog, remembering you from Wiz 7 days.

It seems that there is slightly better treasure. We got an amulet of healing at Cierdan's tomb. Also picked up a St. Bastard I think in Trynton, the Raven drop gave both gave both Bushido and No-Dachi. In 20 or more games I haven't been this lucky. I wonder if the odds have somehow changed? Maybe the high luck from Wiz 7 carried over?

Certain characters lost some levels to get to their final profession. Not so good. At lev 10, the bish is still only lev 7 bish, the ranger is lev 6 (to use Elven Bow), etc.

The char order is not optimal, the Dracon rogue with BL/TD is last and many times does not get a swing. This can be fixed in a later game if I rearrange Wiz 7 order before finishing it.

Any other comments from people who have tried imports?
Old 01-29-2005, 11:19 AM   #10
Krull
Zhentarim Guard

Ziggurat

I've only played two import parties, same line-up but one starts at the UBC and one at Martens Bluff because, of course, of two of the possible endings in Wiz7.

There's a third which starts on the beach outside the Monastery but haven't used it.

Nice to start with 13,000 XP and some stats already in their 20s. Here's the link to the relevant website in case anyone wants to try them.

http://www.geocities.com/grieversnr/
Krull is offline   Reply With Quote