Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Entertainment (Movies, TV Shows and Books/Comics)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2003, 09:26 PM   #11
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Wulfere:
Sounds like Terry Goodkinds Sword of Truth series. I really liked the first two books but, come on it has turned into a soap. I also think the hero Richard is actually losing intelligence as the series progresses.
I might beg to differ...I thought the first book was OK, the second was outstanding, the third very good, the fourth very good and the fifth very good (so far). It has turned into a series but the best thing about it is that I only started reading it about 4 months ago so to me the pace seems fine - I've got 2 1/2 books to go and already I'm rushing through the pages of Soul of the Fire. [img]smile.gif[/img]

I hope you're not talking about the last 2 books turning dull... [img]graemlins/awcrap.gif[/img]

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2003, 12:00 PM   #12
Lifetime
Red Dragon

I'd rather Jordan finished his books before HE dies of old age.
Or else it'll be just like Frank Herbert and Tolkien who left their sons to piece together works of crap from old notebooks.
Old 01-26-2003, 05:23 PM   #13
Tancred
White Dragon

After a while, you've got to ask this question: 'Did this guy REALLY, REALLY from the bottom of his heart want and NEED to tell us this story, or does this man simply really want and need to buy food and clothes for the next year or so?'.
Old 01-26-2003, 07:25 PM   #14
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Have you ever finished a book, and told yourself "Man! I wish this story would not end there! I wish it could go forever!"

I do, all the time. That's why I love Wheel of Time.

The wheel of time always turn. There will never be an ending to the turning of the Wheel of Time. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 01-26-2003, 09:13 PM   #15
Wulfere
Red Wizard of Thay

Actually Memnoch I could just barely stomach listening the last half of "Blood of the Fold". I buy unabridged audiobooks so I can listen to them at work. I am, by no means saying that these books are the worst I have ever read or listened to. I just felt like the main characters keep getting pimp slapped and they never seen to resolve anything. There is a soap opera tinge to things, especially the relationship between Richard and Kaylen. I enjoyed the flavor of the first two. I liked some of the things that happened in the "Blood of the Fold", but you have to admit that Richard had really dumbed down in that book. I felt like Goodkind was just trying to get the book done and rushed an ending, but it wasn't an ending. When I had finished reading the first two I was hot for the third one, but it really didn't live up to my expectations. Perhaps they were just too high.

As far as wishing a story could go on forever...no. Stories have a beginning, middle and end. They should end at some time. At least the main characters should be able to accomplish their Goal. LotR for example runs on for three books. But, they make steady progress towards a climax and an ending. I just don't see that happening with Goodkinds books. Heck, I'm not even sure that there is an ultimate goal in the series.
Wulfere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2003, 09:19 PM   #16
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

I need to read Goodkinds then...
Old 01-26-2003, 11:22 PM   #17
Albromor
Mephistopheles

Luvian, I understand your sentiment about not wanting a story to end because it was so good. I have had the same sentiment many times and I was a REAL BIG fan of WoT through the first 6 books, but Jordan has created the Frankenstein monster at this point. His creation has gotten out of control but with one big difference: Frankenstein was anything but boring when he came around, Jordan's last few books have become boring. The story has gotten away from him and that is a MAJOR sign of a writer losing focus. I would love to know the book sales for each installment. I have a hunch that though he still sells well there are those who have lost interest. I am one of them. I refuse to buy anymore of his WoT books. Jordan needs to put the series aside for a year or two, reread what he wrote in the beginning (I have found this in every creative artistic endeavor: an eventual failur to remember why something worked so well in the first place) and compare it to what he writes now, apologize to his audience for the dreck he has inflicted on us for in last 3 books, then denounce these last three books, and in the next two he ends it.
Albromor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 02:08 AM   #18
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Albromor:
Luvian, I understand your sentiment about not wanting a story to end because it was so good. I have had the same sentiment many times and I was a REAL BIG fan of WoT through the first 6 books, but Jordan has created the Frankenstein monster at this point. His creation has gotten out of control but with one big difference: Frankenstein was anything but boring when he came around, Jordan's last few books have become boring. The story has gotten away from him and that is a MAJOR sign of a writer losing focus. I would love to know the book sales for each installment. I have a hunch that though he still sells well there are those who have lost interest. I am one of them. I refuse to buy anymore of his WoT books. Jordan needs to put the series aside for a year or two, reread what he wrote in the beginning (I have found this in every creative artistic endeavor: an eventual failur to remember why something worked so well in the first place) and compare it to what he writes now, apologize to his audience for the dreck he has inflicted on us for in last 3 books, then denounce these last three books, and in the next two he ends it.
AH! That would be horrible for me! Finish it so early?

I agree that he is going slooooowly. The whole 11th book could probably have been done in 3-4 chapters. I really wish he would have added more. Yes, I want to see the story going on forever, but not because he is stalling. I want the characters to get new goals and new adventures, but failing that, I'll still keep reading every new books until he dies of old age.
Luvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 02:34 AM   #19
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Wulfere:
Actually Memnoch I could just barely stomach listening the last half of "Blood of the Fold". I buy unabridged audiobooks so I can listen to them at work. I am, by no means saying that these books are the worst I have ever read or listened to. I just felt like the main characters keep getting pimp slapped and they never seen to resolve anything. There is a soap opera tinge to things, especially the relationship between Richard and Kaylen. I enjoyed the flavor of the first two. I liked some of the things that happened in the "Blood of the Fold", but you have to admit that Richard had really dumbed down in that book. I felt like Goodkind was just trying to get the book done and rushed an ending, but it wasn't an ending. When I had finished reading the first two I was hot for the third one, but it really didn't live up to my expectations. Perhaps they were just too high.
Really? That was one of my favourite out of the five! [img]graemlins/wow.gif[/img]

I assume you're talking about...
*spoiler* coming, highlight the below text with your mouse between the [ ] to read:

[<font color="#3D2F1B">Richard foolishly trusting the mriswith and almost becoming one of them? I agree that it wouldn't be the thoughts of a rational person, but keep in mind that he had been wearing the mriswith cape for some time, this may have affected his thinking when it came to what they represented. Just my viewpoint. [img]smile.gif[/img] </font>]

I just finished the 5th one and am starting the 6th and it is good so far...I don't know about the 7th though...I had a quick glance at it and it seems to be written in a different way.

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 05:50 PM   #20
Wulfere
Red Wizard of Thay

LOL...I loved the invisible spoiler message. I think that was part of it, yes. But, as I stated the feeling that the story really isn't going anywhere is more disturbing to me. Perhaps I should give him the credit of doubt and try the 4th. Maybe I can find it on eBay cheap. I mean it isn't like I have alot to entertain my brain with at work. I run on auto-pilot there most of the time. You can only look at so many vise grips before brain numbness takes hold.
Wulfere is offline   Reply With Quote