Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2011, 05:25 PM   #1
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Thumbs Up "Gandalf" returns for the Hobbit.

http://blog.movies.yahoo.com/blog/39...-in-the-hobbit

Quote:
Ian McKellen has signed on to return as the wizard Gandalf in "The Hobbit," the two-pic adaptation of the J.R.R. Tolkien novel being directed by Peter Jackson.

The dealmaking on Hobbit for a slew of Jackson veterans from his "Lord of the Rings" trilogy has been coming fast and furious and comes on the heels of Andy Serkis finally inking his deal to reprise Gollum.

"The Hobbit" book introduced Gandalf and Gollum, with both characters going on to become part of literature's most popular characters. Gandalf sets the adventure going in the story and appears throughout the novel. Gollum appears in a chapter that has gone on to be one of the most memorable in all of fantasy literature.

Elijah Wood signed his deal to return as Frodo last week, and Cate Blanchett will play Galadriel once again. Orlando Bloom has an offer to return as elf archer Legolas, though it's too early to tell if a deal will be made.

McKellen, who was nominated for an Oscar for his portrayal of Gandalf, has spent recent years doing mostly voice work for film and TV, although he did star in the remake of AMC's "The Prisoner." His last major film role was in 2006's "X-Men: The Last Stand."

"Hobbit" starts shooting Feb. 14 in New Zealand.
I knew it. Some good has come out of these delays. For one thing, PJ is now the director. I was very wary of Del Toro taking the reigns off of Peter. Why screw with something he can obviously do so amazingly? Anyways, Gandalf and Gollum are back, and shooting starts this year.
Old 01-12-2011, 04:38 PM   #2
ElfBane
Mephistopheles

Default Re: "Gandalf" returns for the Hobbit.

Hmmm, Legolas was in "The Hobbit"? And if they are going to use him to usurp Thranduil's role, then PJ will have to have Legolas play as a semi-jerk.

Frodo wasn't in TH, but I understand his role will be to kinda/sorta narrate flashback type scenes.

Galadriel? Well, I guess they could do a "telepathic link" thingy with Elrond again.

Do we really want to see this turn into a reunion?

Iraq and Afghan fatalities: 6,855 and counting. Silence IS consent.
ElfBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 06:41 PM   #3
Kezardin
Elminster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElfBane View Post
Hmmm, Legolas was in "The Hobbit"? And if they are going to use him to usurp Thranduil's role, then PJ will have to have Legolas play as a semi-jerk.

Frodo wasn't in TH, but I understand his role will be to kinda/sorta narrate flashback type scenes.

Galadriel? Well, I guess they could do a "telepathic link" thingy with Elrond again.

Do we really want to see this turn into a reunion?
Evidentally one of the official guides for the movies puts Legolas' age during the War of the Ring at 2,931, so he'd not be out of place.

The two new movies will supposedly include events outside the Bilbo & dwarves adventure, such as the White Council versus the Necromancer of Dol Guldur.
Kezardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 07:27 PM   #4
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Oh, I expect this movie will deviate quite a bit from the Hobbit book, in hopes to make it more interesting and immersive like LOTR's movies. Not that the book wasn't interesting...It's just, audiences who don't know this is a prequel, will be expecting something that tops the action in LOTR's dissapointed if so. As we all know the Hobbit is a lighthearted, innocent story compared to the apocolyptic death & war theme of Rings.

I am sure PJ has dreamed up some neat ways to stay true to the book but wow audiences at the same time. At the very least he has a dragon to make...when has that been done well, if ever?
Old 01-12-2011, 08:13 PM   #5
ElfBane
Mephistopheles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kezardin View Post
Evidentally one of the official guides for the movies puts Legolas' age during the War of the Ring at 2,931, so he'd not be out of place.
I'm not against Legolas being in the movie, per se. What I wouldn't want to see is Legolas take over Thranduil's part... like Arwen taking Glorfindel's part in TFotR.

Iraq and Afghan fatalities: 6,855 and counting. Silence IS consent.
ElfBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 05:24 AM   #6
Hindsight
The Magister

I have to admit that, after seeing King Kong, I'm a little afraid of Jackson doing The Hobbit: Afraid of it been over the top.

I'm glad Ian is in it. There's only about 17 years between the two; but Frodo does say in LotR that Gandalf looks "older", when comes back. I'm sure Hollywood can "youngen him up" a bit though.
Hindsight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 10:04 AM   #7
Cerek
Registered Member
Iron Throne Cult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hindsight View Post
I have to admit that, after seeing King Kong, I'm a little afraid of Jackson doing The Hobbit: Afraid of it been over the top.

I'm glad Ian is in it. There's only about 17 years between the two; but Frodo does say in LotR that Gandalf looks "older", when comes back. I'm sure Hollywood can "youngen him up" a bit though.
Hmmm....I actually liked his version of King Kong.

As for the Hobbit, I expect it to be like his work on LotR, which was an absolute masterpiece by all accounts. He began preparation of the Shire a year before filming actually began and I expect that same attention to detail in the two Hobbit movies.

I agree with others that I don't want to see a reunion of the LotR characters, since most of them come in after the Hobbit, but I understand Legolas could be worked into the story due to the elven life span. The same could be done with Gimli, but as much as I enjoyed him, he wasn't in the group of dwarves that Bilbo traveled with, so I hope he stays true to that.

Even though it is a prequel, I think the books are well known enough to avoid the temptation of including the later characters in the earlier movie.