Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2001, 06:42 PM   #1
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

Just listening to more "rumors" which may or may not be true. Working for a living means I miss a lot of news coverage during the day. Anyway, heard two things, was going to ask yall if you heard anything similar, and if it is true or not:

1. Apparently there were short interviews with some of the workers who got out of the WTC in time. Many of the people were on the lower floors. When the plane hit their building, their supervisors told them to go back to their desks, it was "just an explosion"???!!! Some decided to ignore said supervisors and leave the building, which in the end saved their lives. I cannot believe after a plane actually penetrated the building, that supervisors would look it it like it was no big deal, and to tell employees to "get back to work." Hope this is a true "rumor" and not a fact!

2. Some guy down in the rubble at the WTC used his cellphone, and ended up calling Canada of all places, saying repeatedly "I'm alive I'm alive." Canadian reported the call to NY police, and they are investigating. Rumor? Haven't heard a thing myself on the news about it, just got this particular info from a family member. Also, does anyone know how many floors of these WTC towers had underground? If there are a few floors under there, do you think the collapse didn't affect them as bad, and they could still be alive down there?

3. Lynchburg, VA Minister Jerry Falwell (sp?) stated publicly, in so many words, that God is punishing us, and what has happened is all our fault! He very soon after that took his words back and apologized, after hearing the outraged outcry from people all over America. True? If so, what do you think? I disagree that God would send out Evil to do Evil myself, I find those comments outrageous and totally an inappropriate thing to say as a popular? Minister at this particular time, what kind of response did he think he would get? Maybe he just needed to word it differently? Dunno..

------------------
Old 09-14-2001, 06:44 PM   #2
Sir_Tainly

Quote:
Originally posted by ladyzekke:
Just listening to more "rumors" which may or may not be true. Working for a living means I miss a lot of news coverage during the day. Anyway, heard two things, was going to ask yall if you heard anything similar, and if it is true or not:

1. Apparently there were short interviews with some of the workers who got out of the WTC in time. Many of the people were on the lower floors. When the plane hit their building, their supervisors told them to go back to their desks, it was "just an explosion"???!!! Some decided to ignore said supervisors and leave the building, which in the end saved their lives. I cannot believe after a plane actually penetrated the building, that supervisors would look it it like it was no big deal, and to tell employees to "get back to work." Hope this is a true "rumor" and not a fact!

2. Some guy down in the rubble at the WTC used his cellphone, and ended up calling Canada of all places, saying repeatedly "I'm alive I'm alive." Canadian reported the call to NY police, and they are investigating. Rumor? Haven't heard a thing myself on the news about it, just got this particular info from a family member. Also, does anyone know how many floors of these WTC towers had underground? If there are a few floors under there, do you think the collapse didn't affect them as bad, and they could still be alive down there?

3. Lynchburg, VA Minister Jerry Falwell (sp?) stated publicly, in so many words, that God is punishing us, and what has happened is all our fault! He very soon after that took his words back and apologized, after hearing the outraged outcry from people all over America. True? If so, what do you think? I disagree that God would send out Evil to do Evil myself, I find those comments outrageous and totally an inappropriate thing to say as a popular? Minister at this particular time, what kind of response did he think he would get? Maybe he just needed to word it differently? Dunno..

I have heard (1) said on the UK news

------------------
Holy Avenger of the OHF and part time Pinguindiebjäger

Old 09-14-2001, 06:50 PM   #3
Ryanamur
Fzoul Chembryl

1- Yes, I've hear that both those witness accounts on CNN and ABC.

2- Yes, I've hear the actual message behing played on CTV (a canadian network)and CNN. BTW: what's wrong with Canada? So far, this country as been the one that probably helped the most the US in this time of crisis yet, we are barely mentionned.

3- Never heard any of it.

------------------
If I am because I think, then, if I talk without thinking, I'm not really talking! Am I?

[This message has been edited by Ryanamur (edited 09-14-2001).]
Old 09-14-2001, 06:53 PM   #4
Moni

regarding #1, the only interview I saw concerning anything of the sort was someone who worked in the second building that got hit, who was told it was OK to go back to work (prior to the second plane hitting) because the expolosion had been determined to be at the other tower building. They did they know the cause (yet) of the first explosion.

I haven't heard anything to tell you whether #2 or #3 are true or false.

------------------

You know childhood is over when a puddle seems like an obstacle instead of an opportunity.

Is Too! Is Not! Is Too! Is Not!

[This message has been edited by Moni (edited 09-14-2001).]

Old 09-14-2001, 06:54 PM   #5
Gwhanos, Lord Of Evil

No idea.

------------------

All your base are belong to us! How Are you gentlemen?

Co-owner of The Abyssal Pit
The Spaminyte Emperor
Official Demon/Villain of IW!
Fish? Welcome to your Doom!

Old 09-14-2001, 06:57 PM   #6
Tobbin
Red Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Ryanamur:
1- Yes, I've hear that both those witness accounts on CNN and ABC.

2- Yes, I've hear the actual message behing played on CTV (a canadian network)and CNN. BTW: what's wrong with Canada? So far, this country as been the one that probably helped the most the US in this time of crisis yet, we are barely mentionned.

3- Never heard any of it.

Maybe you haven't seen all of the news articles coming out. There was a special on today about how Canadians held a moment of silence today. Also, how Canadians are helping in the investigation. It brought a tear to my eye when they showed the Canadians singing the American anthem. Believe me, our news agancies are reporting a great deal about Canadians. I'm taking what LadyWendy to mean that she is surprised that one of the survivors would call so far away (unless possibly they were trying to get a hold of family maybe?). There is a great deal of compassion being shown in the world. Canadians are definitely at the forefront of it all. God bless all of them.

------------------

Protectorate of the OHF
Death Waits 4 U ALL
Old 09-14-2001, 08:11 PM   #7
Moridin
Fzoul Chembryl

#1 Somewhat true: Like Moni said, the only interviews I have heard are from people in the South Tower (2nd hit) and it was security personel from the bldg saying they should go back to work...a lot of people did...only to evacuate fully (at least I hope) after the 2nd plane hit.

#2 True: Heard this on the news many times, but do not know what came of it...whether they found the guy or not (making the phone call, not receiving it)

#3 Don't Know: If it is true then the guy should be lynched...if it is false...maybe lynch him anyway

------------------

Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig
I've got to admit it's getting better, it's getting better all the time
Bossman of Better Funny Stuff.....of the Laughing Hyenas!
Old 09-14-2001, 08:18 PM   #8
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Tobbin:
Maybe you haven't seen all of the news articles coming out. There was a special on today about how Canadians held a moment of silence today. Also, how Canadians are helping in the investigation. It brought a tear to my eye when they showed the Canadians singing the American anthem. Believe me, our news agancies are reporting a great deal about Canadians. I'm taking what LadyWendy to mean that she is surprised that one of the survivors would call so far away (unless possibly they were trying to get a hold of family maybe?). There is a great deal of compassion being shown in the world. Canadians are definitely at the forefront of it all. God bless all of them.

Yes Tobbin, I just wondered why that man called Canada. Wondered if he had no family or friends locally, or was just randomly hitting buttons on his cellfone, possibly being very injured. All I know is I felt very touched to know that whoever he called, acted out, even though they lived so far away, and apparently notified the NY police, to try to help out in an effort to rescue him.

Again, Tobbin, I seem to have missed much that has been reported on the news. I am very happy to hear how Canada is helping us out. And also that other countries now are offering aid in any way needed, truly makes me feel close to everyone all around the world, as human beings, united, together we will fight this evil, for all of us. And I hope in the end, we will be better, stronger, wiser, closer. I pray that petty differences will be forgotten, in comparison to TRUE violation, and enemies will become friends, finding out that we all have so many things in common, we are all the same, just living in different places. We are humans, we are brothers and sisters. I pray that something wonderful will come out of something horrible. But again, we must not kill innocents and taint what is good and right, we must get the evil without hurting the good to do so. How this will be accomplished I do not know. But either way, if we all rally together, all the different countries, and support eachother, no matter what happens, "Good" has won one epic battle.

------------------

[This message has been edited by ladyzekke (edited 09-14-2001).]
Old 09-14-2001, 08:24 PM   #9
Moridin
Fzoul Chembryl

Lady Z...I think the man was probably trying to call a New York # with a 212 area code...but he hit 412 (I think it was 412??...Canada)...the guy with pager said that his pager number was pretty easy with the last four digits being all the same (i.e. 1111) so he thought it was probably a random call but to Canada rather than NYC.

------------------

Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig
I've got to admit it's getting better, it's getting better all the time
Bossman of Better Funny Stuff.....of the Laughing Hyenas!
Old 09-14-2001, 08:40 PM   #10
Ryanamur
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Tobbin:

Believe it or not, I barely watched Canadian TV since this all started. I've been pluged on CNN since Hit+2 hours and there almost every hour of the day eversince... they sure don't mention Canada alot . But thanks for bringing to my attention that local US station report on it. Makes me feel better -Given the circumstances of course.