Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > NWN Mod: Escape from Undermountain
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2006, 07:24 PM   #1
Greything
Drizzt Do'Urden

It may be obvious by now but I do like to add some monk skills to the characters I play.

I am trying to ramp up the basic AB of the an unarmed character at the moment but I run into two basic problems. First, Weapon Master doesn't work for unarmed combat and, second, even Su Lee's gloves of pain don't hit much over 50 (though they do hit often).

Help the poor Monks. How about Su Lee's gloves of excruciating pain?
Greything is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 07:55 AM   #2
wellard
Dracolisk

because monks are dex based they have more attacks but less damage. Strength based characters have more damage but less hits. I find monks do more damage in total per round than a weapon master but the weapon master gets those sexy one of 160+ hits

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
wellard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 08:36 PM   #3
toot033
Red Wizard of Thay

If you really need a good damage boost, you could always add a belt of giant strength ( there is a neat fire giant one that also has some fire resistance added to it) or wait until you can get the one of storm giant strength .
Old 10-09-2006, 10:47 AM   #4
Mozenwrathe
Symbol of Cyric

Depends on if it is a pure monk or not. If you have spellcasting ability, you can always cast a few spells of binding on your opponent to keep him still (which helps on the frequency of strikes) or blindness spells (which, if you have rogue in your build) would give you attacks of opportunity or sneak attacks straight off. It is a shame you cannot get devestating critical with unarmed strike (from what little I've gathered over the years of playing the game), but the monks DO have that Quivering Palm attack. I wonder if it is even thesible to have a monk/assassin blended character? And if it were thesible, how deadly would one of them be? (Another shame that katar were not subheaded under kama so monks could get their bonuses with them.)

Streamlined attacks or bulky clobbering aside, monks usually don't need that many other bonuses to do well in the Undermountain. I can't think of anything they are truly lacking in when it comes to items. They have new kamas, quite a few robes to choose from, more than a few rings and amulets to collect and combine... What do monks on the whole really need now?

[ 10-09-2006, 10:49 AM: Message edited by: Mozenwrathe ]
There are no paths to power which are not fraught with confrontation. No matter the battle, a lesson must be won. In the end, the path shall fade into nothingness for the one walking it, but may go on for eternity for those whom choose to follow. One must know their own footsteps before taking that first step, or instead of choosing your battles, your battles will choose you.
Mozenwrathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 03:09 PM   #5
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

You can get dev crit on unarmed attacks...
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 03:57 PM   #6
Mozenwrathe
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
by robertthebard, this little sentence tells us all we needed to hear:
You can get dev crit on unarmed attacks...
I freely stand corrected on two feet and 191cm high (but no longer rising). But if you can get devestating critical with unarmed attacks, why would monks need anything else truly major inside of the Undermountain? Well, in terms of attacking power. All I can see them truly wanting is even MORE attacks per round. I am certain there are items which only monks can use (outside of enterprising rogues) which give monks extra speed and protective bonuses. Anything else I could suggest would take ages to revise in order to implement, weapon wise.

(Namely changing katar and nunchaku to versions of kama in order for monks to receive their bonuses on those weapons. I actually have no idea how to use the graphics of one type of weapon on another. RTB pulled it off once, but I;ve no clue how he did it. If he's willing to share his secret, I have some serious work to start putting into nunchaku and katar immediately after.)
There are no paths to power which are not fraught with confrontation. No matter the battle, a lesson must be won. In the end, the path shall fade into nothingness for the one walking it, but may go on for eternity for those whom choose to follow. One must know their own footsteps before taking that first step, or instead of choosing your battles, your battles will choose you.
Mozenwrathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 06:24 PM   #7
T-D-C
Ironworks Moderator

Mainly because a pure Monk AB is so poor it can't hit anything to score the Dev crit in the first place.
Old 10-09-2006, 08:46 PM   #8
wellard
Dracolisk

I just built a strength based monk you may have seen recently 'Bron Yr Aur' and can confirm they do have Dev crit. That coupled with a few levels of fighter before level 20 produced six attacks per round. On early levels say 1-8, the great cleave, dev crit, HP damage of up to 120 per hit times 6 attacks per round combo is pure 'shock and awe' [img]graemlins/heee.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh2.gif[/img] coupled with monk speed I have never seen a more effective steamroller to race through the upper levels.

However, and this is the catch that TDC mentions, though i really did stuff up the build her AB only came to 58 and her AC was about 68 ... not good enough for 10 - 13, in fact utter rubbish!

Old 10-09-2006, 09:16 PM   #9
T-D-C
Ironworks Moderator

Because of the fact that an AB bonus can't be applied to gloves really effect a Monk build. My 40 pure monk has a lower AB but can soak up a heap of damage as most spell against him fail and he can dodge everything else.
Old 10-09-2006, 10:58 PM   #10
wellard
Dracolisk

Which brings us back to Greythings original point, we do need better gloves for monks, Su Lee's gloves of excruciating pain do sound good [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]

maybe some gloves that give fire damage or acid? they would look cool if they glowed or dripped acid like some swords [img]graemlins/heee.gif[/img]