Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 01-28-2002, 06:26 AM   #11
Konfuzed and Zany
Manshoon

Hm if you want Grunge you should check out Foo Fighter
Dave Grohl's (drummer of nirvana) band

I personally like:

Muse
Radiohead
Linkin Park
Papa Roach
3 Doors Down
Bon Jovi
U2
Savage Garden
so on and so on

(BTW i have By Request from Boyzone too, Ya gotta love them :-p)

What I truly dislike is Trance
To bad my brother likes just that

[ 01-28-2002: Message edited by: Konfuzed and Zany ]

Old 01-28-2002, 06:30 AM   #12
AzureWolf
20th Level Warrior

quote:
Originally posted by Melusine:

Are you sure? The whole of it? Must have been a lousy choir then [img]tongue.gif[/img]

I just cannot understand some people (not you [img]smile.gif[/img] ) who say classical music is boring and then they put on some uninspired mainstream one-ht-wonder RnB and they don't think THAT's boring?? LOL, I don't have anything against any genre per se, but I want to hear something new, a well-written refrain, or an original singer, or an interesting rhythm... anything [img]smile.gif[/img]

Yup Im sure, it was supposed to be the highlight of the cities national holiday [img]tongue.gif[/img]
But thats just me I dont take pleasure from listening to it so I dont, there are a few exceptions as I totally LOVE the braveheart soundtrack

Ugh and I know what you mean about the mainstream one-hit-wonders, I mean cant they find someone who can actually SING and play MUSIC [/rant mode off]
Seems like these days RnB and Plastic pop are competing to see who can spew out the largest amount of no-talent bands and songs the fastest. And then to make it worse they try to drag some of my favourite bands into their cliched twisted reality of popularity. I rue the day that Incubus decided to put out the song "Drive"
Old 01-28-2002, 06:46 AM   #13
Konfuzed and Zany
Manshoon

quote:
Originally posted by AzureWolf:

Yup Im sure, it was supposed to be the highlight of the cities national holiday [img]tongue.gif[/img]
But thats just me I dont take pleasure from listening to it so I dont, there are a few exceptions as I totally LOVE the braveheart soundtrack

Ugh and I know what you mean about the mainstream one-hit-wonders, I mean cant they find someone who can actually SING and play MUSIC [/rant mode off]
Seems like these days RnB and Plastic pop are competing to see who can spew out the largest amount of no-talent bands and songs the fastest. And then to make it worse they try to drag some of my favourite bands into their cliched twisted reality of popularity. I rue the day that Incubus decided to put out the song "Drive"

Have you ever taken the time to listen to RnB lyrics?
All about how Grweat they are
and what kinda "honey" They can get
Capitalism Thrives....
Old 01-28-2002, 04:00 PM   #14
Grand-Ranger
Galvatron

Location: Everywhere I wanna go its already where I am,cause I am already there
What I like is things that mean somthing and take talent. I like bands that use music to express feelings like Pearl Jame. Or bands that are simply great muscians like Iron Maiden.

I really dislike bands that just make a band to be seen and "see what its like." That really ruins music.

I also dislike bands that wright the same thing OVER AND OVER AND OVER (Staind). That may sound odd coming from a Pearl Jam fan, but if you listen closely most of there songs do have a diffrence.

Classical is ok too. I probley would say its my favorite, but it is pretty cool.

Rap and R&B really suck, IMHO.

Its REALLY the same thing over and over. Every rap song I have ever heard is about either, Drugs, Sex, How great it is to be a "bad ass", or how great it is too live in "the hood" or all of them.

Ever R&B song I have ever heard mentions Silk, Soft, and always has really annoying long notes. And every other lryic says "Oh Girl".

Or if its a Girl R&B band its how superoir they are too men.

Thats my 2 cents.
Old 01-28-2002, 04:42 PM   #15
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
quote:
Originally posted by Grand-Ranger:
What I like is things that mean somthing and take talent. I like bands that use music to express feelings like Pearl Jam.

I really agree with this GR. My brother listens to the Beatles, and while they are obviously great great musicians it really used to annoy me because their songs seemed really shallow. I love Eddie's voice, it's so full of emotion, I love that all their songs mean something personal.

Same with bands like U2 - they have something to say. I love Pink Floyd because they were such pioneers and not interested in being mainstream. I love that their albums are whole units, the whole is greater than the sum of the parts, that it's a whole album experience rather than disjointed songs and singles designed to make money.

And I do love classical music, I love that it has so many layers, that you can follow a different instrument every time you listen and get something different out of it. I feel really sorry for people who can't hear harmony and understand the nuances of classical music because they are really missing out.
Old 01-28-2002, 06:24 PM   #16
Grojlach
Zartan

quote:
Originally posted by Aelia Jusa:

And I do love classical music, I love that it has so many layers, that you can follow a different instrument every time you listen and get something different out of it. I feel really sorry for people who can't hear harmony and understand the nuances of classical music because they are really missing out.

And today's music doesn't have those many layers, you mean? I can name a lot of bands that make quite layered music that are most certainly not to be classified as "classic" music, just look in the avantgarde direction to see that. There's Pole and Fennesz, which have beautiful melodies but then mangled, twisted, cut open, glued back to each other and under heavy noise which has so many layers you don't even know where to start. There's Sigur Ros, as in Radiohead's Kid A, only a step further, long, maybe repetitive on first hearing combinations of progrock but getting better every time, using some elements from classical music and adventurous song structures; there's Mogwai, who specialize in playing the same riff over and over again for 20 minutes and still make it brilliant by the many, many layers they put in their music; you have the Warp artists like Aphex Twin and Plaid, who may bend a little to mainstream but always have deeply layered songs on their albums. There's always "good old" Einstürzende Neubauten, never ceases to amaze. And, of course, there's always my absolute personal favourite, Godspeed You Black Emperor!, which could be looked upon as classical music only with more progressive use of instruments, a more adventurous and experimental collection of sounds melting into something more than just beautiful, music that sucks you in a spiral of ecstasy, and never gets boring. I bought their latest album (double CD) many months ago and I never took them out of my CD player (7CD Exchanger).
Of course, this is just the smug avantgarde side of me. Heck, there's more of where that came from, I could do a similar smug and elitish exposition on Indiebands, Hiphop, or more traditional high quality rock and pop bands.

[ 01-28-2002: Message edited by: Grojlach ]

Old 01-28-2002, 06:28 PM   #17
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
quote:
Originally posted by Grojlach:

And today's music doesn't have those many layers, you mean?

No no, not at all! If modern music doesn't have enough complexity I don't like it. That's one reason I like Pink Floyd so much, because they have so many elements to it - not just melody and bass line.
Old 01-28-2002, 06:35 PM   #18
Grojlach
Zartan

quote:
Originally posted by Aelia Jusa:

No no, not at all! If modern music doesn't have enough complexity I don't like it. That's one reason I like Pink Floyd so much, because they have so many elements to it - not just melody and bass line.

Well, generally speaking, I agree with you on the complexity thing... But my taste is sometimes so painfully diverse and complex that I can enjoy more simple music just the same. The extremely beautiful nature of not too complex music can be just as satisfying as the more complex variants - you can wake me up any time of days for some beautiful Goldfrapp, Fiona Apple, Belle & Sebastian and many others.
(Mind you - those artists are not too complex by my standards, but for those who have been raised on the Britney's and Creed's of this world, it's probably quite an adventure, music hard to swallow because it's too complex for them. )
Old 01-28-2002, 07:14 PM   #19
Staralfur
Baaz Draconian

quote:
Originally posted by Grojlach:
[QB]

Well, generally speaking, I agree with you on the complexity thing... But my taste is sometimes so painfully diverse and complex that I can enjoy more simple music just the same. The extremely beautiful nature of not too complex music can be just as satisfying as the more complex variants - you can wake me up any time of days for some beautiful Goldfrapp, Fiona Apple, Belle & Sebastian and many others.
[QB]

Me too, it depends on mood, time of day, time of week etc... Sometimes you don't want a really intense experience, so artists like these are just great to listen to.

Looking at your list above, it seems you have a very similar taste in music to me; My Favs for the past few months have been Sigur ros and GYBE! - as with you they have hardly left my cd player.
(BTW have you heard the latest album from A silver mount zion, it is superb)

These are musicians that you have to listen to properly to fully appreciate. You can't just have the music playing in the background like the 3 minute pop gems that get released - it just doesn't work. Sounds pretentious, and most of their music is, but this doesn't in the middle of a track when you couldn't care less if it has been playing for 10 minutes or 10 hours. It's not to everyones taste of course.
We\'ve heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the Complete Works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.\"<br />Robert Wilensky <br /><br />\"Why is there only one Monopolies Commission?\" <br />Screaming Lord Sutch<br /><br />If you choke a smurf, what color does it turn?