Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2001, 04:46 PM   #1
Jezzrian
Dungeon Master

Hi, I've been playing the BG series for years now, but have never done a MP game on BG2, though I have in 1.

I'm planning to do it with all 6 created by me, and before you all rush and tell me, as I have told others in the past, that it will cut out on the NPC quests, I know it will. But basically I'm taking all of the characters through on their own first, tehn taking off the XP cap and doing it with just them, so the NPC quests aren't that inportant. Obsessive? Yes, but fun.

Anyway, the question, after much pointless rambling, is about the party formation.

So far I have:
Female Undead Slayer, need the HA.
Male Kensai dual wielding Daystar and Celestial Fury
Male Fighter/Thief dual wielding Blade of Roses and the Equalise
Male Berserker, dualed top cleric al lv 10 hopefully with the
Flail of Ages and Crom Fayer
Male Kensai again dualed, this time to mage at lvl 10, using
quarterstaff
Female Fighter, once more dualed, this time to druid, using short
bows and swords
Female Monk, using bare hands of course.

But, as anyone who can count can see, that makes seven. So here's the big question, which one should I drop?

I apreciate any suggestions, and all replies shall be given some virtual cookies

Jezz

[This message has been edited by Jezzrian (edited 06-17-2001).]
Old 06-17-2001, 05:05 PM   #2
Encard
Quintesson

I'd suggest dropping the Undead Slayer.

------------------

Blah blah blah... RaBid Fruit Trees! Bow down! Blah blah blah...

[This message has been edited by Encard (edited 06-17-2001).]
Old 06-17-2001, 05:06 PM   #3
trux

if i had to pick one of those to drop i would probably get rid of the fighter dualed to druid. but if you did that then you may want to think about a pure cleric...i don't think a half-a cleric will give you the healing abililities you will most likely need.

------------------
--
trux
Old 06-17-2001, 05:58 PM   #4
Volourn
Manshoon

I'd choose the monk so you can get the best out of all the magical items you find. However, you will do fine no matter your party composition. Good fun!

GO DWARVES GO!

------------------
"That didn't hurt!" - Volourn Honourblade after the red dragon breathed on him for 75% of his hp.
Old 06-17-2001, 10:49 PM   #5
ScottG
Drow Warrior

I have not done a MP game either, hmmmmmmm

Well lets think about this:

1. You have 2 healers (Cleric & Druid), prob. here is that both are dual classed and b4 they are dualed you are suffering w/ no healer. I would quickly dual class the druid (they have more spells early on). I like 2 healers in a party of this size.

2. You have 2 thiefs (for the disarming of traps), practically speaking that you don't need. The fighter/thief and the Monk. The monk is pretty intresting higher in level, consider droping the fighter/thief.

3. All of your char. are good or great at melee, but none are paticularly wonderous with missle wepons, i.e. to many tanks. This area needs more work.

4. What is HA for the Undead Slayer? If I were picking a Paladin Kit it would always be the Inquisitor for that dispel magic at twice the level. I also would make the Paladin male and one or more of the other char. female. Make the Paladin have prof. in 2 handed sword for Carsomyer & also crossbow.

5. You have 2 Kensai's - this "cuts" down on your missle ability. The full Kensai is using Celstial Fury, instead switch this sword to the Kensai/mage and dual-wield with the Sword of Zerth Katana which give extra spells and AC bonus. Consider droping the Full Kensai, or changing to a Wizard Slayer (with dual-wield Axes & longbow - Manabow) if you have the 2 healers in your party.

6. You don't have an enough mages. In a party this size you should have at least 2. Maybe a Archer kit Ranger dual classed to a mage, (to give some extra missle & magic power).

I would personally drop the fighter thief first, and I would seriously consider droping the pure Kensai as well.
Old 06-17-2001, 11:44 PM   #6
Accord
Ninja Storm Shadow

You seem to have a number of dual-class characters (you will need the Undead Hunter and Monk to protect them while they develop their 2nd class), I would suggest dropping the dual class fighter/druid if you intend to use short bow and swords, since the druid weapon restriction will apply there for her.

------------------
Long live H22A1!!!!!
Old 06-19-2001, 02:27 AM   #7
sunder
Zhentarim Guard

Yes definetly drop the Kensai fighter, your Kensai mage will vastly become greater than your Pure Kensai fighter will ever be. Get your Kensai to level 12 (train Grandmaster katana, and 3 points to dual weapons), and change over. Once your mage hits level 13, you will start to mow down your foes.

SO, Undead hunter paladin
Kensai/mage
Fighter/thief
beserker/cleric
fighter/druid
monk

This sounds like a nice party. But you'll hit one problem. You'll be better off with a healer and a thief right from the start, or at least the thief. Healing potions and good tactics might last for a while for the healing, but you are going to run into locked boxes and traps right from the start.
Maybe a half-ork cleric/thief? A weak character physically, but is a great backup character for your other 5. A backstabbing thief with a warhammer just doesn't work quite right. Maybe switch the thief over right off the bat, so that way you can get some exp and open up some chests. Put all his skills into detect traps and lockpick.
And maybe soon after, switch over the druid for some much needed healing spells. Your cleric will be more of a melee fighter, so get his beserker level up to 9 or 12 and let your druid take the brunt of the healing until then.
Old 06-19-2001, 08:55 AM   #8
Jezzrian
Dungeon Master

Thanx everyone for the help. I was thinking of dropping the Kensai, making the DC fighter thief into a multi, so that I get thief skills from the start, and changing the Monk to a muli Cleric/Mage.

Does everyone agree?

Jezz
Old 06-19-2001, 12:19 PM   #9
sunder
Zhentarim Guard

SO

Undead hunter paladin
kensai/mage
multiclass fighter/thief
multiclass cleric/mage
beserker/cleric
fighter/druid

Is that the party you are looking at? seems like a nice rounded party to me yes. You'll have a cleric and thief and a mage to start, plus later in the game you'll have 3 clerics (clerics and druid) and 2 mages, plus a couple good fighters. A nice rounded party yes.

You'll put katanas on the kensai mage, warhammer on the beserker/cleric, longsword on the fighter/thief, 2 handed sword on the paladin, and I guess staff and sling on the druid and the cleric/mage.
Old 06-19-2001, 12:54 PM   #10
ScottG
Drow Warrior

Try:

Undead Hunter (Though again I prefer the Inquisitor)
Monk
dualclass Kensai/Mage
dualclass Berzerker/Cleric
multiclass Theif/Mage
dualclass Fighter/Druid

You had 3 healers in the group Sunder pointed out (you only needed 2), so why not go for the monk?