Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum

Old 02-11-2003, 12:07 PM   #61
Jaramira
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Eg0[)e@th:
A 2nd Ed. Dwarven berserker would be a Battlerager. (See the Complete Book of Dwarves.)

"The Battlerager fills a particular niche in dwarf society and culture. he is a fearless warrior, able to create an insane rage within himself which increases his fighting ability and distorts his physical features.
While enraged, a Battlerager's face becomes twisted and his teeth grind together. Spittle flies from his mouth and dribbles down his beard. His eyes enlarge, bulge, and become bloodshot. Size increases (his height by an inch or more) as his muscles swell and his body expands."

Also,
"Battleragers are the most distinctive of warriors. With rings through their noses, ears, and sometimes lips, they will dye their hair and beards vivid colors. They often shave their faces and heads, sometimes leaving long tufts of hair which are stiffened with lime or thick grease. Tattoos on the face and body in the form of spirals and abstract designs are a source of intense pride for all Battleragers."

See any resemblance to Gimli yet?

You mention that he has a gruesome method of combat and that lots of heads roll when he fights. He has a friggin' battle axe! Not a weapon of finesse! Would you expect him to use it like a rapier?

Fer cryin' out loud in a tub, people.
There are no Battlerangers in Middle Earth, so you cant go comparing Gimli to one! Any way, a warrior trained in the use of a battle axe probably CAN wield it like a rapier, unless they are in a beserker rage.
Old 02-18-2003, 01:28 AM   #62
Eg0[)e@th
Dungeon Master

You folks are welcome to do whatever you like with Gimli, but I can see no reason to treat him as a berserker.

Jaramira said, "There are no Battlerangers [sic] in Middle Earth, so you cant go comparing Gimli to one!" I think that is a valid point and my comparison is like comparing apples to penile implants.

However, the only evidence coughed up thus far does not convince me that Gimli should be considered a berserker.

Jaramira said:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still think that Gimli is a barbarian/fighter! I mean, he has a particularly
gruesome way of dispatching his enimies, he also seems to go into a beserker rage quite often, considering the amount of orc-heads that go bouncing along the floor when he's around.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Axes are meant to cause amputations and decapitations. It's the nature of the weapon. It's derived from a tool used to cut down trees. And thusly, they will not be and can not be wielded like a rapier, berserker rage or no. :-p