Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2002, 11:39 PM   #31
Imrahil
Elminster

If I had to pick some bad points it would certainly be the linearity & general lack of involvement (whereas in BG you really felt like the characters were real - that they had a life of their own apart from their interaction with you). Overall, though, I'm really happy that they came out with IWDII & hope they come out with many more IE games.

One indication of how good this game is compared to other games is the type of posts on the forums. Wizards & Warriors (which I liked except for the bugs), Pool of Radiance (which I hated & didn't even bother to finish), & MMIX (which is still on hold but I might get back to) forums were filled with "this game sucks" & "I found another bug" type posts. Here, most posts are opinion related debates & help with particular points in the game. That shows that people like the game, care about it, & want to finish it (often multiple times) as opposed to getting frustrated with it or just hating it.

- Imrahil
Imrahil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2002, 10:11 AM   #32
The Merciful
The Magister

Quote:
Originally posted by Olli Kalma:
Oh, There's no mention about where that missing info is...
And I could not find it on CD!
What kind of tables etc. are missing? I have Euro edition...
Look the 1st CD, not the 2nd one you have in when playing. There's an AcrobatReader file in folder named 'Manual'. There's spell, exp., etc. tables and lists.

As for 3rd edition rules, I'm mostly OK with them, but some aspects are counter intuitive. Take the various resistances. What does spell resistance of 2 mean (this isn't a rhetorical question, so you may answer it)? A percentage would be something easy to understand even without previous knowledge.
Old 11-17-2002, 12:11 PM   #33
Nightowl2
Galvatron

Spell resistance means the mage casting a spell at you has to make a special roll to get past the resistance so the spell will affect you. The roll is 1d20+caster level+spell penetration (if any).

A spell resistance of 2 is pretty much meaningless in this regard.

Of course, even if the spell gets past the resistance, you're entitled to the usual saving throw, if the spell allows for it.

Nightowl2

P.S. It works the same way if you're trying to get past a monster's resistance with your own spell.
Nightowl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2002, 01:55 PM   #34
The Merciful
The Magister

Quote:
Originally posted by Nightowl2:
Spell resistance means the mage casting a spell at you has to make a special roll to get past the resistance so the spell will affect you. The roll is 1d20+caster level+spell penetration (if any).
Okie dokie. I take it's somehow similar with cold, acid and fire resistance...
Old 11-17-2002, 02:45 PM   #35
Nightowl2
Galvatron

Umm, no. Just to confuse you, individual resistance to fire/acid/etc applies directly to damage. For instance, if you have cold res 6, and the damage is 6 or less, you aren't hurt. If it's more, say 14, then you'd take 14 - 6, or 8 points of damage.

Nightowl2
Nightowl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2002, 04:09 PM   #36
Azred
Drow Priestess

Question Mark

Positive
I really like the scenery and the music. Some of the voice sets are quite funny, as well, especially the one where you can get something about "Tae Kwon Leap" (can you say "boot to the head"? [img]graemlins/laugh3.gif[/img] )

Negative
If you want to start the game with a fighter/mage, cleric/mage, etc. you are out of luck--pick one class and start at first level, then pick the second class later.
Why bother with Weapon Focus or Weapon Specialization?

IWD2 is on par with BG2 as far as overall quality, but I must say I wish I'd never bought NWN....

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Azred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2002, 04:46 PM   #37
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

I must say i'm seeing mixed reactions to NWN's all over these forums and i'm due to get it in about a week
Old 11-19-2002, 11:58 AM   #38
timberwolf
Dungeon Master

Well I really like these engines they are using and never really like those of NWN. It really reminded me of those Ultima days [img]smile.gif[/img]

It is very sad that this is the last game that we will see from the developers using the current format. I believe all future games will look and feel like NWN
Old 11-19-2002, 12:30 PM   #39
Jack of Speed
Manshoon

Naaaah, after this game the IE will practicaly be freeware. Then all the indy game designers will be able to afford it and make new games. Right??? Or in a worst case scenario they will port it to Linux and we will all have to run that to play good DnD games. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-19-2002, 01:12 PM   #40
Calaethis Dragonsbane
Legion Symbol

Hmm, good points, I like all the weapon switching modes. The customisable tool bar is great too. I also like the naration...

bad points - I don't like being treated like scum. What IS it about inssolent NPCs that you cant kill? Also, I miss the reputaion thingy from BG1.

I miss the "exporation" sense that bg1 had. Bg1 seems like a stroll in the park compared to IWD and IWD2, but.. it *did* have some good points.

Also miss my NPCs.. yeah I know, I know, but, I *do* miss all the convos. My party's like zombies, no interatcion between em, still its to be expected I s'pose.

I don't like the way goblins can floor a lvl 5 character, and how you get more xp for goblins then you do for orcs (well *some* goblins) it goes against that grain.

The jornal sucks. I miss my SoA one. Heh, I also miss my "mini" map from NWNs. All that resting sucks too, my party seems to be able to go on for about 2 days or so without needing to rest - providing of course they havent been attacked...

I dont like mages wearing armour either... 'tis unatural. Also, my bowmanship seems to suck for my ranger, even tho I trained him in it :| heh, ok rant over

Still I s'pose I'm not to far into the game, only storming the gobo fortress. Good game overall.
Calaethis Dragonsbane is offline   Reply With Quote