Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 11-19-2004, 06:54 PM   #1
Donut
Jack Burton

In the House of Commons yesterday the Bill to outlaw foxhunting was forced through by the use of the Parliament Act. This act, which has only been used 4 times in the past 55 years, allows the elected House of Commons to bring in new laws against the wishes of the unelected House of Lords.

To announce this decision the Speaker of the House read the following:

‘The Lords insists in their amendments to the Hunting Bill to which the Commons have insisted on their disagreement for which insistence they assign their reasons.

‘They insist on their amendments to which the Commons have disagreed for which insistence they assign their reasons. And they disagree to the amendment proposed by the Commons in lieu of the Lords, amendments for which disagreement they assign their reasons’ Order.’

What the hell does that mean???????? Even the Speaker admitted that he was only reading the message and didn't understand it!
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 11-19-2004, 07:00 PM   #2
Sir Degrader
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

The first bit doesn't seem to go anywhere. The second bit says that they dont' agree with the amendments. I think
Old 11-19-2004, 07:42 PM   #3
LennonCook
Jack Burton

- The Commons tried to pass a bill
- The Lords sent it back, with ammendments
- The Commons disagreed with the ammendments, and proposed ammendments of their own.
- The Lords disagree with these ammendments, and it's back in Commons.
Old 11-19-2004, 10:08 PM   #4
Callum
Symbol of Cyric

If you play the audio backwards, I'm sure it reads as "Haha, look at me! I'm an idiot. Ain't I a sucker for reading what my friends gave me? Hehehe!"

Or something.

COs it doens't mean anything forwards...
Old 11-20-2004, 01:42 AM   #5
Dron_Cah
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Defend Your Castle Champion Frogger Champion Monkey Diving Champion Summer Games Champion Donkey Kong Champion
Moon Lander Champion Space Invaders Champion
Oh, it says something. Mostly that they just disagree, lol. Stupid bureaucrats, trying to confuse everyone! [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 11-20-2004, 04:29 AM   #6
Sigmar
Unicorn

Too much waffling.

Not enough talking.

Ahh...politics.
Old 11-20-2004, 04:47 AM   #7
Davros
Takhisis Follower

I prefer the way the Godies dealt with fox hunting [img]smile.gif[/img] Aversion Therapy anyone?
Old 11-20-2004, 05:21 AM   #8
Davros
Takhisis Follower

And on the subject of incomprehensibilty, take a gander at the sports news :

Pigeon has won a long standing bet today and I just can't Adam it. Unbeaten at the end of the day, having wrapped up the precious half ton and swiping his first ever zac to boot, he stands to collect at last on a wager made over ten years ago.

Afghanistan is never going to hear the end of this .
Old 11-20-2004, 05:38 AM   #9
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Donut:
In the House of Commons yesterday the Bill to outlaw foxhunting was forced through by the use of the Parliament Act. This act, which has only been used 4 times in the past 55 years, allows the elected House of Commons to bring in new laws against the wishes of the unelected House of Lords.

To announce this decision the Speaker of the House read the following:

‘The Lords insists in their amendments to the Hunting Bill to which the Commons have insisted on their disagreement for which insistence they assign their reasons.

‘They insist on their amendments to which the Commons have disagreed for which insistence they assign their reasons. And they disagree to the amendment proposed by the Commons in lieu of the Lords, amendments for which disagreement they assign their reasons’ Order.’

What the hell does that mean???????? Even the Speaker admitted that he was only reading the message and didn't understand it!
I "INSIST" that I do not know!
Old 11-20-2004, 10:23 AM   #10
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

I think this is a trick question! I insist you show us the real text which says "HA, think anyone will catch on that we're all off at the pub instead of working on that bill?"