Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 09-27-2004, 09:09 PM   #1
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Let me say CMT is not programmed on any of my TV remotes, nor on any of my radios at any location. However, my adopted 'Joes' had me listen to a song today, and I must say, that song is moving. It comes from an artisit who may not be a super star, and may not have a big fan base, but he has landed a 'big-un with this-en'.

He sings it almost naturally, and has his feelings run with it. The artist is John Michael Montgomery, and the tune is called "Letters From Home"

As a special request from the 7 State 116th CAV BDE (Army National Guard, Seperate Enhanced Brigade) They ask that you at least listen to this song. If you have any direct connection to what this song is about, for you to put pen to paper and send that special message along to the one that you know.

To the soldiers of the "Snake River" BDE, you will prevail in both Iraq, and all endeavors that you may encounter. I will always remember you. God Speed!

Your Active Duty Unit Advisor,
MSG Drew.

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Old 09-27-2004, 10:36 PM   #2
Dron_Cah
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Defend Your Castle Champion Frogger Champion Monkey Diving Champion Summer Games Champion Donkey Kong Champion
Moon Lander Champion Space Invaders Champion
Uh, yeah, he is a big star, man. At least, in the Country field, he is. Also, yes, I've heard that song, and I can stand it, which is much better than most country, today. Have you just heard it? It's been out ofr a while now. Well, you dont listen to country, so i guess that explains it, lol.
Old 09-27-2004, 11:10 PM   #3
Stormymystic
Knight of the Rose

I was going to say the same thing, lol. he is a huge star where country music is concerend, and I should know, I grew up on this music [img]smile.gif[/img] I also agree the soung is very tounching, and is worht a good listen, I even found a web site that plays his song, but forgot the link, but you can find it online just put in the name of the song [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-27-2004, 11:25 PM   #4
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Perhaps John Michael Montgomery can join his local National Reserve unit in his area and write some real letters? I think not. Theres one person who actually acted on thier convictions in the entertainment/sports field. Pat Tillman, former safety with the Arizona Cardinals with a multi-million dollar contract. Joined Army Rangers, killed in action Afghanisthan. I salute Pat Tillman, not some yo-yo singing a song he knows nothing about.
Old 09-27-2004, 11:35 PM   #5
Stormymystic
Knight of the Rose

why when ever someone post something good about someone, does someone else have to come along and be rude aboutit? it means more to write and/or sing a song about being a soldier and what they are going through than you give credit for, do yo uknow how many people probably set down and wrote a letter to a soldier after hearing this song? quite a few that I know of around here. most people do not even think about a soldier being lonely overseas. I can agree that being KIA is a big step to showing the world you are a patriot, but what about all of the singers/entertainers who have gone over to the war zone to provide relief for the soldiers and make them laugh? quite a few of them, so do not set there and say that jsut because someone sings a song but does not go to the front line to fight is not helping out the soldiers.
Old 09-27-2004, 11:48 PM   #6
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

If the guys wants to sing about it, do it! How many "stars" do we see enlisting? Especially in the ra ra war country segement. How many of thier kids? None that I've heard of.
Old 09-27-2004, 11:53 PM   #7
coyote696
The Magister

Yes felix that is a great song and people should give it a good listen, I know from past experience what he is singing about, and how good it felt to get letters in the mail when I was serving in the military overseas, both in peacetime and in war. I know the sacrefices that those young men and women are making for us, and for our country, and I remember how it felt for my dad to tell me that I made him Proud when I was serving there. JMM is not the greatest singer but he did do a good job of reflecting alot of soldiers feelings with this one.

Those that dont understand it have never been there or have not ever been through times where the only real contact with home is through letters and care packages and the like.

There Is a young man in the marine corpse that is a country star. he was serving his country when he became a star, and is now either about to or has just gotten out His name Is Josh Gracen From American Idol. And for the information of Mr Alcohol. Many country Stars and other music Genre Stars have served this country proudly, in peace and war.

[ 09-27-2004, 11:57 PM: Message edited by: coyote696 ]
Old 09-28-2004, 12:01 AM   #8
Stormymystic
Knight of the Rose

Quote:
Originally posted by Lord of Alcohol:
If the guys wants to sing about it, do it! How many "stars" do we see enlisting? Especially in the ra ra war country segement. How many of thier kids? None that I've heard of.
just because he does not "enlist" does not make him a bad person...are you implying that those of us who do not "fight" for our country do not deserve to be known for something good that we are trying to do? so if everyone went to war, who would there be left to tell the history of the fighting and the peace? ever stop to think maybe, not saying it is true, but just maybe some of these singers did try to enlist? I tried and was turned away due to my illness. remember the old saying...Don't judge a book by it's cover?
Old 09-28-2004, 12:08 AM   #9
The Hierophant
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Does anyone know where the financial profits from his music go? Genuinely curious here.
Old 09-28-2004, 12:10 AM   #10
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Quote:
Originally posted by Lord of Alcohol:
Perhaps John Michael Montgomery can join his local National Reserve unit in his area and write some real letters? I think not. Theres one person who actually acted on thier convictions in the entertainment/sports field. Pat Tillman, former safety with the Arizona Cardinals with a multi-million dollar contract. Joined Army Rangers, killed in action Afghanisthan. I salute Pat Tillman, not some yo-yo singing a song he knows nothing about.
Ya know I sense your hostilities here, but ya know, what gives. I met Toby Keith in Kosovo in 2002? Where were you?

I met another entertainer in the sands of the Saudi desert in 1991, where were you?

I met some politicains and entertainers when the wall came down back 1989, where were you?

You say you salute Pat Tillman, what about Nathan E. Stahl? Did you know he was KIA 21 SEP in Iraq? Probably not, he was just a soldier, right!

Entertainers are just that. I applaud them for what they do, and how they do it. And when a rare talent hits a spot that can only be felt by an elite group of society, don't hate the 'players' hate the sport, or get off your duff and participate, but stop the hate!

[ 09-28-2004, 12:26 AM: Message edited by: Felix The Assassin ]

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.