Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2003, 01:58 PM   #11
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by wellard:
Point taken Timber. The fact that an arrest warrant has been issued did make me jump to a conclusion. I will refrain from judging him on this case till i learn more. But i find it a disgrace that the previous charges (1993?) where not folowed through. Agreements between lawyers should not stand in the way of justice for minors.

According to the latest story on CNN, no charges were filed in the original lawsuit partly because the minor involved specified that he did not want to participate in any possible prosecution of Jackson. In other words, he was not going to testify if the charges were filed and the case went to trial.

Quote:
Originally posted by Johnny:
Never wondered why someone who is NOT guilty would pay such an amount of money, just to make the "evil" go away ?
In the case of Michael Jackson, it would make perfect sense. Assume - for a moment - that he is completely innocent. He lives a reclusive lifestyle on a private ranch/amusement park/recreation facility/etc etc. He has a long standing habit of inviting young children to visit his ranch/amusement park and to even have a "sleepover" in his own home. The parents for these children are provided free lodging in hotels located at Neverland also. Everything goes great, until one of the children or parents suddenly sees an opportunity to get a lot of money. All they have to do is claim Michael Jackson molested one of the children attending one of his "sleepovers". Now Jackson is in a "No Win" situation. The allegations are going to boil down to his word vs his accuser.....and the general public will certainly feel that a 13 yr old is telling the truth, no matter what he says. Also, a trial will take several months to resolve, which will take away from Jackson's time to work on his records and videos. There will be graphic allegations leveled at the singer, and these allegations will remain in the public's mind even if they are later proven to be false.

So Jackson can either face a long and humiliating trial or he can attempt to negotiate a settlement with the accusers. Even if he were to win his trial, most people will claim that he wasn't convicted because of his celebrity status anyway.

If you look at it from Jackson's POV, it is far easier and much less hassle to simply negotiate an out-of-court settlement. It will mean less time, hassle, and humiliation for him in the long run....and $40 million dollars is not a significant amount to someone that is worth billions.

Don't get me wrong, I personally think he is guilty as sin...I was just trying to show why a celebrity of Jackson's status would find it much easier to pay several million dollars to avoid a trial, even if he were completely innocent.

Quote:
Originally posted by Zuvio:
Is it a crime to love kids *alot* and talk mushy about them? It's accusations and remarks like these that start genuine witch-hunts. If the man is found guilty of charges, then by all means punish and scold him. But until then, treat him like any other citizen and do not be prejudiced or judgemental, those are bad characteristics.
It may not be a crime to "love kids *alot* and talk mushy about them", but it is very suspicious behavior - especially when exhibited by a 35-45 yr old man who is talking about children that are 10-12 yrs old. It becomes even more suspicious when this same 35-45 yr old has a consistent habit of "sharing his bed" with these same 10-12 yr olds and has done so for many years. To be perfectly blunt, it is not "normal" for a 40 yr old man to "share his bed" with children that are not his own (or at least blood relatives). But it is normal for someone with pedophilic tendencies. So the "loving kids *alot* and talking mushy" aren't criminal acts in and of themselves, but they are salient factors to consider when the person in question has been accused of molesting a child.
Old 11-19-2003, 02:01 PM   #12
khazadman
User suspended until [Feb13]

If I had this sick puppies money and I was accused of what he was accused of, I would have spent any amount to prove my innocense and destroy my accusers. Only a guilty man would have paid for their silence. Face it, in this country this is the worst crime you can be accused of.
Old 11-19-2003, 02:16 PM   #13
harleyquinn
Symbol of Cyric

They just announced, an arrest warrant is out for him. Bail set for $3 million.
Old 11-19-2003, 02:24 PM   #14
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
There ya go.
Old 11-19-2003, 02:34 PM   #15
Zuvio
Gold Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by JrKASperov:
I'm saying that every man who talks about how much he loves kids and they should be treated with all mushy love and how it's good to give them love by letting them sleep in his own bed, that THAT's insane, you should draw the line by simply loving kids, and becoming mushy. I nowhere stated that he is a fellon of child abuse, but I do think his thoughts about love are too much. And believe me, I'm a genuine romantic, but I don't go blabber on about how much I love my girlfriend, I don't even do it to her, it would be too much for anyone the way he does it, and I have seen that interview with him.

EDIT: I'm NOT saying he is some child-abusive guy, but I AM saying that he is obsessed, and THAT is wrong enough in itself.

I saw the interview(s) too and he didn't strike me as obsessed, just peculiar.
Old 11-19-2003, 03:39 PM   #16
Gangrell
Iron Throne Cult

I've seen Jackson over the years, and honestly to me he's guilty anyway you'd like to look at it. Loving kids is in no way a crime, but there are factors that contribute to the fact that it is odd and strange. As Cerek said, you're talking about a 40 yr old man, fourty, and he's got some odd obsession with kids. Caring for kids isn't a bad thing, but in this day and age, it's most probable he's a pedophile.

Look at it like this. If I was fourty, and I wanted to help kids, I would build a media center, medical, something to contribute to them in the long run and to give them a helping hand and I would do other things but not in the ways MJ has. I would not urge kids to come to a theme park as a daily thing and I wouldn't invite my kids for a sleep over in the same bed, and I wouldn't hold a child out of a 40 story building. As I said, in this day and age and with society, with how a lot of odd people think and what people actually do, it is most likely he is a pedophile.
Old 11-19-2003, 04:26 PM   #17
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

I don't know any of the facts so won't comment on what I think he's done, however:

- I used to crawl into my parents bed even up to the age of 12 (prob older, but can't remember) to wrestle with my dad for a laugh etc. - nothing wrong with that, but as I said I don't know what Jacko got up to with the kid in bed - could've just been harmless wrestling? Who knows unless they were there?

- My dad used to dangle me over bridges over rivers for a laugh - what's wrong with that? Gave me a bit of a scare but was just a laugh - he was holding me tight. Nothing crazy about that.
Love conquers all? Damn, I'd say that area's gray
Old 11-19-2003, 04:35 PM   #18
Gangrell
Iron Throne Cult

Vaskez, there is a difference between a guy like Jackson and your dad, quite a bit of difference I'm sure.
Old 11-19-2003, 04:37 PM   #19
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Quote:
Originally posted by Donut:
Don't bring 12 year olds to your bed!!!! Time to lock him up - if only for his own safety and sanity!
LOL... god, I read the records on this Whack-job, and the childs testamony, and I can just TELL the kid isn't lying. MJ needs to go to prison, and become bubba's friend. (hey, he wouldn't mind, right?)... Seriously, If he did this, he needs to burn, just as any offender that does this. If it was MY son or daughter, the guy wouldn't get a court date, the police called... none of that. He would get a few bullets through the head. dead.

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Old 11-19-2003, 04:41 PM   #20
wellard
Dracolisk

Police in California say they will file multiple charges of child abuse against the pop star Michael Jackson.
A warrant has been issued for his arrest. Police say they are negotiating with his lawyers for the singer to hand himself in and surrender his passport.
Santa Barbara Sheriff Jim Anderson said bail would be set at $3m.
Mr Jackson is suspected of abusing a 12-year old child. His publicist said he would "co-operate fully with authorities".
The investigation is being led by the same district attorney, Tom Sneddon, who looked into similar allegations 10 years ago.
Mr Jackson denied those claims and no charges were ever filed, but the singer made a multi-million dollar out-of-court settlement.
The alleged victim declined to testify in a criminal case after the settlement.
Mr Sneddon said California law had changed as a result of the earlier Jackson investigation, and implied that law enforcement authorities had a more co-operative witness this time.
"This investigation is different from the last investigation," Mr Sneddon said.
"There were never any charges brought in that investigation. I can assure you that within a very short period of time, multiple counts will be filed," he said.
Mr Jackson could face up to eight years in prison per count of abuse.

From the BBC

Ziroc have you a link to the info you just posted about.

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years