Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 09-29-2001, 08:26 AM   #11
Rikard

Only a Sorcerer can outbest Edwin
No normal mage can as Edwin gets the 2 bonus spells per level
though with 2 rings and Dak'kon sword you can come close

------------------
Behold he who stands before you

Almighty (shared) Leader of the OHF
Proud member of the Ancients Club
The one True Necromancer/Blade of the Laughing Hyena's
Last of the Ancient race known as the Red Fluffies
Summoner of Bunnies

Official Register of the Top Posters;
"You can Run, You can Hide,
But you can never do both"

I'm Watching you...

Old 09-29-2001, 08:45 AM   #12
StarVid
Elminster

Yeslick was pretty cool, but he was a Fighter/Cleric, which means slow level advancement so you'll end the game a level or two below the max for the cleric. Granted, he has fighter abilities, but with regards to strictly cleric abilities, he was somewhat lacking. Besides, you didn't get him until the end of cloakwood, which was over halfway through the game. Besides, you can make a better cleric then Yeslick, Branwen, or Vic in BG1. I had rolled these stats (91) for my cleric: Str11, Dex18, Con16, Int18, Wis18, Cha10. Give yourself the gauntlets of ogre power when you get them, and your char can double as the frontline fighter. Regardless, these rolls are good for a cleric (high Wis and Con), as well as good for a mage (high dex and int). Also, after the tomes, you'll have a PC like this: Str12, Dex19, Con17, Int19, Wis20-21, Cha11.

Now for BG2, you can dual over at level 9 or 13 (my recommendation). If you dual at 9, you can still max out as a mage, and at 13 you only loose one level as a mage which means you lose one 7th level spell, and one 8th level spell, but you gain (priest spells), two first level, one second level, two third level, one fourth level, one fifth level, and two sixth level spells.

What you end up with is a really good mage, with some really good support magic. The only thing to keep in mind is that all of your priest spells will be cast as a 13th level cleric. Which means that if your level 13/15 and you memorize dispel magic as a priest spell, then you'll be casting it as a 13th level priest and not a 15th level mage. But with all things considered, this would be the most powerful spellcaster in the game, no?
Old 09-29-2001, 11:34 AM   #13
Kitty
Manshoon

Quote:
Originally posted by Epona:
What about Yeslick? He was a good aligned Fighter/Cleric I think!

Sure, but he was found too late in the game and he leveled up too slowly...I don't think he would keep up with Anomen in BG2.
Old 09-29-2001, 01:38 PM   #14
StarVid
Elminster

I think the cleric/Mage could take on Edwin. With Silence, miscast magic, Free action/web combo, Holy Power, Poison, Magic resistance, and others you could really mess edwin up. Not to say it would be a slaughter, it would be a tough fight, but I think the cleric/mage could come out ahead.
Old 09-29-2001, 04:14 PM   #15
Nanobyte
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Any Multi- or Dual-classed character can best a basic one.
Old 09-29-2001, 05:58 PM   #16
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally posted by StarVid:
This is probably really dumb, but it hit me when I was playing BG1 again, and I started to wonder. I was wondering about party formations and with the NPCs you have available, which PC class fits in with everything the best. See, in BG1, there were no decent clerics for a good aligned party. Vic and Tiax were evil, and Branwen was neutral, no fun, and complained too much if your rep was at 20. Meanwhile there were a couple good mages (Dyn, Xan (actually, he kinda sucked), Garrick would make a good backup), two really good thieves (Imoen and Coran), and a lot of great fighters (Minsc, Ajantis, and Kivan). Meanwhile, in BG2, Anomen is a really decent cleric, as well as Vic (and including in the PCs plot as a romance), however, there aren't really any decent mages. Except for Nalia, they're all multiclassed, and Nalia is like the Brawen of BG2, a whiny pain in the ass.

So what am I saying? Maybe a cleric is probably your best bet for BG1, then dual over at 9 or 13 for BG2 to a mage, and you can still max out your mage levels (-1 if you dual at 13). What you have is a really good supportive cleric (can cast up to level 5 (dual at 9) or 6 (dual at 13) spells, and turn undead) while still having a killer mage. Your thoughts?

And yes, I have too much free time.
I like to have my protagonist either a cleric or a mage, single class. BUT it does mean, as you say, that if Cleric you don't have a 'good' single class Mage in the game, and vice versa. So your suggestion of starting with a Cleric and dualing to Mage at the start of BG2 (if you import the same team - I never have) looks good to me. Go for it! But remember that Aerie is not too bad as a Mage, and when you get Imoen back she progresses to quite a decent mage - though her intellect is only 16.

------------------

Dubbed Queen of the Illuminati by Diogenes.
Old 09-29-2001, 06:07 PM   #17
Istaron
Banned User

Edwin better than the main? No way! Maybe at the lower level but later on.. Sure, he gets two extra spells per level. But you know, there are not THAT many usefull spells. At level 20, I hardly know what to make with my empty slots. Now I am level 30... I only stock up with the same spells all the time. Whats the product? Well, I doesn't have to rest as much. That all.
The advantage the main has is that he can Use the Amulet of Power, wich grants magic resistance, and, not least, improves casting-speed with one... a slight advantage, but enough to make a difference.

------------------
We call him Bobby Corwen
Old 09-29-2001, 06:49 PM   #18
Warby
Zhentarim Guard

You wouldn't have time to get all the protection spells up to protect u'rself from edwin. All he has to do is sumon an elemental then dipel any protection u have then death spells u. He's the best in the game. Same with korgan. You best being an evil group.

Warby
Old 09-29-2001, 10:14 PM   #19
deathknight
Drow Warrior

ACK! don't know what spells to memorize? Man give me 50 slots and I could fill em hehe.
Old 09-30-2001, 12:04 AM   #20
zNOVAz
The Magister

no

------------------
Ned,, your so crazay