Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 01-13-2001, 08:16 AM   #11
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Well I have to agree with Memnoch, Dragons are underpowered. If you read about Dragons in any AD&D, you see that they´re really powerful enemies, just read about them in the 3:ed monster manual, and the way they describe the way Dragons fight, well old Firekragg was really ancient and inmobilized in the fighting.. "If a Dragon is faced by powerful foes a common strategy is to fly high up in the air dropping rocks, or call down quakes, avalanches and other to fight there foes.."
If not landing ontopp of a creature would do the trick...,
Well licehs aren´t goblins ok, but liches are a magic based undead creature and thus humanoid sized ones aren´t as devastating to meet as dragons that can melt rocks with there breath or just stomp out a city..
The answers would be, Liches and Demons are powerful foes, Dragons are challenges for the Demigods...

As for fighting Gods and Demigods, have anyone read the Adod 2:ed books on higher beings and gods? An excellent book describing some gods, there you can see what it is that you will face, rember Dragonlance and Brothers Majorie anyone??

Gods, oh my, this could be exciting!
Old 01-13-2001, 02:29 PM   #12
NytesHalo

Yes Dragons are way underplayed. I've DMed adventures where not even the strongest of parties can kill an ancient red. Simply put, they did not use near the tactics a true dragon would. After all, what dragon lives that long without knowing how to destroy all that opposes them. And above all else, most dragons even if they were overmatched would be smart enough to retreat, then harass the party, picking off one or two when convenient. Dragons are supposed to be the most powerful mortal creatures in the game after all.

As for liches, again they truly underplayed them. Most exist for centuries and have magics that may have been lost to the present time, i.e. the time of Netheril, if you are completely familiar with Forgotted realms than you know this to be the most powerful realm of mages to ever exist. Some liches would date even that far. ALso, there is the idea about a lich's phylactery that makes them impossible to kill unless you destroy the container, or they will just keep coming back time and again.

Now Dracoliches, the combnation of these two, the strengths of the original dragon with the ability to keep coming back unless the phylactery is destroyed, now THAT is something to truly fear.

Old 01-13-2001, 02:47 PM   #13
saigo

I have played countless hours of D&D and can say that the dragon would be more powerful if played right,as they don't have wardings against undead and protections vs the undead.Both have the ability to cast magic yet the dragon has more innate abilities then the lich.If you have the dracolich as an opponent you could somewhat try to use the protections vs undead but by the shear mass size and hitdice of such an enourmous creature it would probably fail to protect you(as there are rulings vs. size/hit die).Now as for taking on the gods(or more possible for adventurers....taking on demigods.)This would be quite the adventure(Jon if you're listening this would be a great add on!!!)...for starters you would have the ability to start the game at an extremely high level...or use chrs that you might already have(for those that use the cheats/xp cap removers)then you could bring balance in the game by having to overthow a demigod,then you would have to prove yourself(possibly by defeating a dracolich....hehehe)then you would be granted temporary statis till you built yourself a pantheon and created an avatar to represent your power on earth.This would merely be the beginning as you would then be faced with the hiarchy of the gods.This means position/station and would have to be enforced each time another challenged you or moved against you,becoming also somewhat of a diplomacy game.You could then assign some players to do the work for you,which would leave you playing their chrs for a while.This would be the fun of becoming a god!!!

Old 01-13-2001, 02:52 PM   #14
Jon the Hell Caster

How about a Demolichagon? A demon Lich and Dragon all together the second I saw that I would away. Also in my add-on there will be a Dragolich hopefully.

Old 01-13-2001, 04:47 PM   #15
Larr2

I like the idea of saigo and Jon...I hope some creater is reading your post!

Old 01-13-2001, 10:03 PM   #16
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

Hope for teambg to read it...

And Memnoch is right. The reason why I asked this question is because I find it easier to dismantle Firkraag than a Lich, not Kanggax, A LICH ONLY. A puny lil' Lich vs. a Dragon. In BG2, the lich would win. There's a big chance by the dragon, but I don't think so. And c'mon! Ancient Dragon versus a common lich?! I wish the Dragons would be pretty deadly in BG3 or some other expansion.... are they planning to make an expansion on BG2?
Old 01-13-2001, 10:05 PM   #17
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

I meant Jon's idea... hehe regarding the teambg...
Old 01-13-2001, 10:32 PM   #18
Azuth

Attacking Demigods, or full powers! i don't think you surive, first you will have to reach its home plane, avoid its memions. fight its when its compelety focused on you. and then if it has a boss, ie Auzth's, Mystra. if you surrive that, you will have to get Ao to let you stay. all this while avoiding Helm for tesspassing in the relam of the gods. because if you were to fight one on the prime plane it would just be an avatar and would keep coming back. only only way to win would be to wait for another time of troubles and kill one when its striped of its powers.

Old 01-13-2001, 10:36 PM   #19
G.W.

How about an expansion where you take on the forgotten sun god Anathakon (sp). He is in two quests in the game!

Old 01-13-2001, 10:42 PM   #20
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

Well, if you are at VERY high levels, Minions would be fine... or, they caould generate another time of troubles to make the quest possible... OR how about if YOU start it?