Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum

Old 07-14-2002, 10:12 PM   #1
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Quoth Wyvern:
Quote:
Almost makes me want to start a thread on the number of computers in each of our posters' households and what battles take place over who gets to use it!

What a difference from 20 years ago!
Okay, sounds like a topic for a post!

First, 20 years ago: I remember my elementary school letting students check out the Commodore CBM or PET computers for the weekend, along with a box of games. Between my mother, my brother, and I, there wasn't a whole lot of sleeping going on -- everyone got the computer for an hour. And since each game had to be loaded separately from tape or (if you got the good one!) floppy, there were no saved games.

I remember when I got my Commodore C-64 -- 64 whole k of memory! Life was good, and drinks were cheap.

Today: Two active computers in our house (three if you count my company laptop). The adult computer and the kids computer, where I don't care if I have to reformat the hard drive entirely. On my computer, I care...

Recently got rid of the old C-64. My grandfather's machine shop uses software that runs on one of those, so I donated it back to the family. Picked up another one at a neighbor's garage sale, for the whopping price of free -- they couldn't imagine someone actually using one of them (and neither can I, really).

Got two or three other machines (old slow ones) laying around that will eventually turn into servers or something similar (perhaps another kids computer -- they fight over that one now!)

Next?
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2002, 11:32 PM   #2
Megabot
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Hey i have 2 computer here one "main computer" that i use to all things then a server where i store files and stuff and that one i use Linux on and the main comp. do i have WinXP and Win98se as Os!
I also have Playstation II and Xbox here but i dont use those so mutch LOL
Megabot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2002, 03:53 AM   #3
kev
Drizzt Do'Urden

Hey Bungleau, I had one of those 64's but someone gave me an Amiga. I loved the Amiga for RPG's and only retired it last year when I started playing Baldurs gate. It had a whole meg of ram which seemed good at the time. I just wish that computers could have developed along the Amiga line, it could do a lot with very little. Now 64meg is not enough ram for the newer games.
Old 07-15-2002, 12:17 PM   #4
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

No computer battles in our home! Hubby is a programmer who has done a lot of work on networking. He has a ring of notebooks for the purpose. I've got a desktop which I use to connect to the internet, create and manage a website and play games. I also have a notebook in my studio. My son has his own computer off in his own corner of the office.
My first computer was a Televideo back in the middle ages. Was a nice machine for its time and was my means of connecting to Compu$erve. 300 baud was the norm and I remember very well how excited we were when we were finally able to bump up to 1200 baud!
I had a CommodorSX around the same time I had that Televideo. I used it only for games and remember many of those games very fondly!
How things have changed!! (and wait 20 minutes and they'll change again!)

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote