Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2003, 08:14 AM   #1
DonToo
Welcomed New User

Firstly my thanks to those gamers who have assisted me so far by posting solutions on this board. So far you have fixed the problem where I couldnt get out of towns as the gates would not light up.
My current problems are that it seems to be impossible to train in any guild. I can join a guild and select a skill to improve and it stops where it says so -and -so is in training, I can get no further than this.
Also is there a problem with levelling as i just did a count of 83 attempts to level up level 5 characters and i received, 59 times 1 hit point and 1 skill point, 23 times 1 hit point and 2 skill point and once 3 hit points and 1 skill point. This seems a little on the stingy side to me, and i was wondering if was a similar problem to those many others have had with windows xp running w&w.These characters ranged through all 4 types of character.
My specs are Win XP , Nvidia Geforce Ti 4600 and am running Directx 9.0
I also have a static swapfile of about 640 mb
DonToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2003, 08:36 AM   #2
Radek
Red Dragon

1. You can train only once per level in each guild. Then you have to wait until you get next level. If you miss your training opportunity (you level up twice without training in between), you lose the training opportunity. Grrrr It can't be mended.
Therefore, train every time you gain a level. Avoid levelling up more than once as long as you have something to train in the guilds.

2. It's a result of the game logic. The game rolls your HP from scratch every time you level up. If the resulting number of HP is lower or equal to your current number of HP, you will be given 1 HP. An example:
If you are level 5 warrior and if you are promoting to level 6, the game rolls HP of a warrior 6 times, adds the HP together and compares the result with your current number of HP. If the result is lower or equal to your current number of HP, then you get 1 HP. If the result is higher, then you get the difference between the result and your current number of HP.
Therefore, the dreaded "1 HP" is a result of your current high number of HP.
As far as the ability points are concerned, the higher are your stats the lower number of ability points you get. In my experience, you can always achieve 2 ability points by repeated attempts to level up.
Recommendations:
a) Give up "nice results" in gaining HP. It's futile. A few "nice results" will cause the "1 HP" in several following promotions and you will lose all your effort. Ignore the number of HP gained completely.
b) Try to get two (or more) ability points instead until all your stats are near 18. It's always possible.
Old 06-04-2003, 08:40 AM   #3
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Welcome to the board, DonToo!!!

IF you are getting the message that your character is "in training" they are still in training and their current training will not be complete until their next level. Leave the guild, go kill some monsters and come back when you've gained a level and the trainging will be complete. You can train in different guilds at the same time, but you can only train once in a specific guild per level. So it sounds like you've got them in training and you just have to get them to their next level for it to be complete and new training options to become available to you.

There are MANY threads on this board about the leveling up "problem". For whatever reasons the designers made the game this way. It does work out in the long run, truly it does, but we all understand and have felt the frustration of these stingy level ups. This can be particularly stingy when you have changed class but it will all work out in the end. Don't try reloading your game over and over again to get a better result. That acutally makes things worse in the long run.

Check out the Best Tips thread for some useful tips on character development or ask Radek!! Radek knows everything!

Wyv

(Told you that Radek would have great answers!!! If I hadn't been working in two other windows while composing this reply I might have gotten it posted before Radek. )

[ 06-04-2003, 09:07 AM: Message edited by: Wyvern ]
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2003, 09:14 AM   #4
DonToo
Welcomed New User

Thanks Wyvern and Radek , that does explain it very well. DW Bradley sure does make games that really make you think ! LOL am very glad he does too.
Thanks again , will give that a try
DonToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2003, 09:29 AM   #5
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Welcome to the boards, DonToo. May your travels in the Gael Serran keep boredom far away from you.

You've got the good answers already, but I would add one more thing: even though you're in training, you get the benefit of the new skill. For example, if you train in STR, your STR goes up immediately. You are then considered in training until the next time you level up.

That confused me originally, because I thought that I would get my strength point (or whatever) when I levelled up, and I didn't. I didn't realize that I'd already received it
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2003, 09:52 AM   #6
WillowIX
Apophis

Welcome to the board DonToo. [img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img]

Ahh I see the Virtualdub trick does work for the gates as well. Great! I haven't been able to try that out. *rubs hands* Excellent.
WillowIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2003, 02:01 PM   #7
bsftcs
Red Dragon

Welcome to the forum, DonToo. [img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img]

You have been well answered by these people. They are the best.
Old 06-05-2003, 08:47 AM   #8
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Bungleau:
Welcome to the boards, DonToo. May your travels in the Gael Serran keep boredom far away from you.

You've got the good answers already, but I would add one more thing: even though you're in training, you get the benefit of the new skill. For example, if you train in STR, your STR goes up immediately. You are then considered in training until the next time you level up.

That confused me originally, because I thought that I would get my strength point (or whatever) when I levelled up, and I didn't. I didn't realize that I'd already received it
Thanks for bringing that up, Bungleau! Very important!!!

And also one area where the game gives you some instant perks to counteract the rather disappointing level ups!

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote