Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 05-31-2001, 04:48 PM   #1
Hanz123
The Magister

Well...I'm about to begin a game.

BUTTTT, I can't decide what class to start with. Thing is I wan't to dual class ending up as a ranger. This leaves to cool options: a priest of helm/ or lathander. They both have cool extra's: seeking sword +4, boon of lathander (extra attacks + immunity to level drain). So has anuone tried one of these combo's?

Another thing is that when I start out as a priest I get about 70 hitpoints, which is about 30-40 less apposed to starting out as ranger. Do you think I will make up for this, after the dual, beginning as a 1 level ranger. And what racial enemy? Golem or Vampire, but I really would like to see undead here.

And will the number priest spells (in numbers) eventually be the ones of the cleric PLUS the rangers spells or not?

Quite an story but any advice would be apriciated.

Old 05-31-2001, 04:58 PM   #2
Accord
Ninja Storm Shadow

I am not too sure about this.....but can you dual from a cleric......I know you can dual from ranger to cleric.....but cleric to ranger I am not sure....

------------------
Long live H22A1!!!!!
Old 05-31-2001, 04:59 PM   #3
Hanz123
The Magister

Sorry if I wasn't clear but that is what I meant, cleric---->ranger.
Old 05-31-2001, 05:49 PM   #4
Accord
Ninja Storm Shadow

Quote:
Originally posted by Hanz123:
Sorry if I wasn't clear but that is what I meant, cleric---->ranger.
Yeah I know, but I am not sure if the game will allow you to dual from a cleric to ranger.

------------------
Long live H22A1!!!!!
Old 05-31-2001, 08:08 PM   #5
Desuma_Malevois

Yes, you can dual from a cleric to a ranger as long as your stats are high enough, but you won't start picking up any extra hit points until your ranger level surpasses your cleric level. From the sounds of your starting hps, you've got the difficulty slider set on "Easy" or "Normal", so you can expect another 12 to 14 points when you hit 8th level, the same at 9th level, and then 3 per level thereafter. The conventional wisdom on this board is that it's better to dual the other way around, but if you really want that cleric kit, then go for it!

I can't answer your query regarding the spells - when you do it the "conventional" way you don't get any extra spells, but you DO get to pick from the druid spells also.

Old 05-31-2001, 11:11 PM   #6
sunder
Zhentarim Guard

MM sounds doable, youll have a lower HP ranger, but will balance the lower HP's out with clerical spells. What levels were you planning on switching over? The max you can get is maybe a level 11 cleric/level 14 ranger before hitting the cap. This will let you have the priest spells level 1-6.
Of course you can dual class at a lower priest level, Level 9 is a good level to change over, your HP's don't go up anymore except the basic progression. SO thats what, level 9 priest, level 17 ranger max. thats not too bad. Now for HP, I believe your maxes will be.

Level 9 cleric with 16+ con will be 90 max, plus 24 hp extra for getting the Ranger up to level 17, so a max of 114. about 65-70 Hp if you don't try and max them everytime.
Where as a level 9 ranger, level 19 cleric (if you flip flop them) would have more hp. But you won't be your cleric kit. You can have a Max (with 18 con) of 146 hp, with actual numbers about 105 hp.

Now to specialize, Golems i wouldnt' worry about, the are pretty easy compared to such things as strong Undead and beholders, mind flayers, etc. I never even sweated against golems. If you don't have other characters who are strong vs undead, I'd go for vampires, there are a ton of them in BG2. I use mages against Beholders, they work better, so I would stick to enemy vampires if you can choose them, if not, maybe liches.
Old 06-01-2001, 04:24 AM   #7
Hanz123
The Magister

OK, Thanks.

Actually I was thinking of dualing rigth at the beginning. This way I will get use of the priest spells the fastest and perhaps gain the most hitpoints afterwards. But most importing thing is I hit level 17 vith the ranger so perhaps I will dual after cleric 9. My slider is set to normal by the way, but I don't know what influence this will have in this case. And I think I will go for the vampire racial, seeing a lot of them in the game. Any extra input is appriciated though!