Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-2005, 05:29 PM   #1
Marty4
Symbol of Cyric

I recently got a great deal on Planescape:Torment off of Ebay, and so far it has been great (I have played both IWDs and BGs). I have a few questions about how it works: (please be as spoiler free as possible)

1. will I ever get to "complete" my character creation? As in getting a non-fighter class, a name, a race, etc.? It seems somewhat of a letdown to wander around as a nameless fighter.

2. How many joinable NPCs are there? So far, I haven't found anyone except Morte, and I don't know if he counts [img]tongue.gif[/img]

3. About how long is this game?

4. On my stats page, it shows me with a proficiency in fists and edged weapons, and 3 "unused slots". I tried equiping other types of weapons, and I haven't noticed a difference in my thac0. How does proficiency work in these rules?

Thanks!
Marty4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 12:02 AM   #2
Imrahil
Elminster

Quote:
Originally posted by Marty4:
I recently got a great deal on Planescape:Torment off of Ebay, and so far it has been great (I have played both IWDs and BGs). I have a few questions about how it works: (please be as spoiler free as possible)
Great game - it's a little slow & bewildering at first, but the payoff is well worth it. I'm going to mention some areas in my answers, but beyond that I'm going to be vague, unless you need clarification...

Quote:
1. will I ever get to "complete" my character creation? As in getting a non-fighter class, a name, a race, etc.? It seems somewhat of a letdown to wander around as a nameless fighter.
Hmmm... the short answers are: sort of, yes, not really, no, etc. [img]smile.gif[/img] Wandering as a Nameless fighter is kind of the point of the game, but you'll gradually discover your own history. You can change your class to Mage or Thief by going to Ragpicker's Square & looking around/talking to everyone you meet (you may have to complete some quests first). Once you've settled on a class, there's not a whole lot of point to switching back & forth, though.

Quote:
2. How many joinable NPCs are there? So far, I haven't found anyone except Morte, and I don't know if he counts [img]tongue.gif[/img]
There are 7, counting Morte. Just to point you in the right direction, try to locate the Smoldering Corpse Bar in the Red-Light District. There are 2 there, although one will have to wait til later in the game. Don't despair, though, if you simply follow the course of the game you'll run into more.

Quote:
3. About how long is this game?
Not short, but not BG length. If BG2 ended right after emerging from the Underdark, it'd be comparable in length (to BG2 by itself, not BG1 + BG2).

Quote:
4. On my stats page, it shows me with a proficiency in fists and edged weapons, and 3 "unused slots". I tried equiping other types of weapons, and I haven't noticed a difference in my thac0. How does proficiency work in these rules?
You have to find someone to train you (& some early trainers can only do so much). While you're still a Fighter, look around the Flophouse Circle & talk to everyone (& help them locate any lost items they may need) & you'll find training. Only Fighters can make effective use of Axes & Hammers, though, so if you intend to change your class, don't waste many points in those.

Quote:
Thanks!
Enjoy! It's a very engaging game.

- Imrahil
Imrahil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 12:46 AM   #3
the mighty stamar

you know part of what is so great about the game is that when you start you have no idea what is going on.

In about 20 hours of game play ull realize, oh ya thats what was going on.

Theres um.... i cant remember about 6 different people who can join your party.

You can switch between fighter mage and thief. You need to find the right person to train you, then you talk to someone in your party.

I think youre still pretty early in the game though youll figure out more as you get along.

This is one of the greatest stories ever in a computer game i envy you. Youre going to have a lot of fun
the mighty stamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 09:36 AM   #4
Paladin2000
Fzoul Chembryl

All of the above answers and something extra. You will get to recruit the ONLY cleric NPC in the game. She is not as hot as I hoped to be but still... there aren't many female companions to be had and not to mention: THE ONLY CLERIC. Make sure you bring her along as far as you could.
Old 02-17-2005, 08:34 PM   #5
Marty4
Symbol of Cyric

Thanks, this has been a great help!
Marty4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 10:27 PM   #6
the mighty stamar

oh as i recall there is a non solved bug with the fire mage character.

In general hes the least complete character as well as far as story. So I would not choose him. All the npcs are interesting though more for their stories than anything
the mighty stamar is offline   Reply With Quote