Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 09-16-2001, 05:41 AM   #1
Sorcerer Alex

I'm worried about what these terrorist attacks will lead to. Retaliation by the Americans will only result in a vicious circle of violence - the US strikes back, only to be attacked once again themselves. I hate to agree with a man who's caused so much pain and suffering, but Saddam Hussein is right - in a press statement released yesterday, he said 'Bush must use wisdom to win this fight, not force'. And as I say, I am inclined to agree with him. I think a lot of people still don't realise the seriousness of this issue. If the US attacks, we should all prepare ourselves for a long, bitter war.

Old 09-16-2001, 06:46 AM   #2
skywalker
Banned User

You are so right Alex. I've been watching the news and last night I came to the conclusion that it looks pretty bad.

Think about it. If we bomb the crap out of Afganistan and kill countless Afgans we will be creating a new generation of terrorists, a new generation of hate. If you take out bin Laden, someone will take his place. We are in a very difficult and delicate position.

President Bush has been given extreme power in this and I am a little scared. His rhetoric is getting stronger and the press and he are stirring us up for the Mother of All Battles. The media kept showing the plane hits and the destruction. They keep showing us the pain of the people in hospitals and the pain of those missing their loved ones. This hurts us quite a lot and causes our wounds to remain open. Yes, we need never forget, but we do not need to be continually fed the horror and sadness.

This is not Desert Storm, this will be far larger and more deadly. We don't need another Korea or Vietnam. We need a level head here.

This IS the end of the World as we knew it. Because of this America may be ruined for all time and the rest of the World may follow. We are ready to commit ground troops, many people good and bad (depending on where you sit) will die. I hope we can all live with the consequences of our leaders actions.

If there was a way to satiate the masses by spending our money to beef up our Intelligence and protect this land, that is what I feel would be best. But I fear there are far to many who need blood shed to feel vindicated. That is sad, for there will be a veritable Sea Of Blood that will never wash away hatred and cleanse all our souls.

Now, I'm not expecting everyone to agree with what I've just posted. I implore you to write something to discredit this, I hope for it. But please do it constructively, jabs and anger will not help.

Mark
Old 09-16-2001, 07:44 AM   #3
Istaron
Banned User

Unfortuanly, Bush posseses very little wisdom

------------------
We call him Bobby Corwen
Old 09-16-2001, 07:45 AM   #4
Dramnek_Ulk

Violence begets violence, attacking any country will just drive more islamic countrys over the edge into extremism and terrorism .many people would interpret an attack on afganisthan as an atack on the islamic faith itself.

Terrorism is a Result of the problem, And attacking it will not solve the problem of why so many countries and people hate the USA in fact it will just make it worse, to solve the problem requires a major change in USA foriegn policy. Wisdom requires the ability to admit you are wrong.

[This message has been edited by Dramnek_Ulk (edited 09-16-2001).]

Old 09-16-2001, 07:47 AM   #5
Lioness
Jack Burton

I agree...now to find a tome of wisdom... j/k

------------------

Sword Saint of the HADB Clan
Waitress and resident storyteller at Cloudy's Cafe
Lil' Angel
Bestest Mate of the Cyan Knight
Lady of the Fallen Paladin
Old 09-16-2001, 07:49 AM   #6
skywalker
Banned User

Lioness, please forward that Tome Of Wisdom to our President!

Mark
Old 09-16-2001, 07:52 AM   #7
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Here's what Saddam had to say, courtesy of CNN.

Saddam: Learn from our pain
September 16, 2001 Posted: 7:00 PM HKT (1100 GMT)

BAGHDAD, Iraq (CNN) -- Iraqi President Saddam Hussein has called on the U.S. to show "common sense" and not resort to violence as a response to the devastating terrorist attacks on the country.

Despite their grief, Americans should not wage a "new crusade" against "an Islamic country," but rather learn from the pain he said Iraqis and Palestinians have been suffering at the hands of the U.S. and Israel.

"America needs wisdom, not force. It had used force, along with the West, to its extreme extent, only to find out later that it did not achieve what they wanted," Saddam said in an open letter carried by the official Iraqi News Agency (INA) and television and radio.

"Will the rulers of America try wisdom just for once so that their people can live in security and stability?" he asked in the letter, quoted by Reuters.

"Just as your beautiful skyscrapers were destroyed and caused your grief, beautiful buildings and precious homes crumbled over their owners in Lebanon, Palestine and Iraq because of American weapons used by the Zionists," Saddam said in the letter addressed to the American people, citizens of the West and their governments.

The "Islamic country" was seen by analysts as a reference to Afghanistan, ruled by the Islamic fundamentalist Taliban and home of the prime suspect in Tuesday's terror attacks, Saudi Arabian exile Osama bin Laden.

In words addresses to western leaders, he asked: "If you rulers respect and cherish the blood of your people, why do you find it easy to shed the blood of others including the blood of Arabs and Muslims?

"Americans should feel the pain which they have inflicted on other peoples so that when they suffer they will know the best way to treat it (the pain)," Saddam's statement said.

Saddam, who faced a U.S.-led alliance in the 1991 Gulf War following Iraq's invasion of Kuwait, said he doubted that Washington would respond violently if the attackers were from a Western country.

"We do not know if they would do the same thing whether any of the planners and perpetrators of the operation were found to have lived or had the nationality of a Western country?" Saddam asked, adding, "Or whether the intention and the designs are already made against an Islamic party?"

He said the West was to blame for global instability.

"The use by America and some Western governments of their fire against others in the world including, or in the forefront of whom, are the Arabs and Muslims, is one of the most important reasons for the lack of stability in the world at the present time."

He said international security could be achieved if the United States "became rational... and disengages itself from its evil alliance with Zionism."

Saddam had previously described Tuesday's deadly attacks in New York and Washington, in which hijackers seized airliners and crashed them into the World Trade Center and Pentagon, as the fruit of "evil" American policy.

His statement said: "More than one million and a half Iraqis have died because of the blockade imposed by America and some Western countries, in addition to the tens of thousands who died or were injured in the military action perpetrated by America against Iraq."

Saddam's problem is that he has very little credibility worldwide because he has bombed and used chemical weapons on his own people (Iraqi Kurds). Is this a case of the pot calling the kettle black?

Just a note, don't let this thread disintegrate into an Arab/Muslim bashing thread, ok?

------------------
Old 09-16-2001, 07:56 AM   #8
Kaz
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

I agree wholeheartedly, Alex. It is awful to sit in front of the TV, watch the news, know that what is happening is wrong, and not be able to do anything. Violence never solves anything.

------------------

Kazara

Sapphire Dragoness of ALSB
Waitress at Cloudy's Cafe

[This message has been edited by Kaz (edited 09-16-2001).]
Old 09-16-2001, 07:57 AM   #9
skywalker
Banned User

Nothing will be gained from the blood of innocent Arab/Muslims.

Mark
Old 09-16-2001, 07:58 AM   #10
Neb
Account deleted by Request

My point of view on the Wisdom or Force thing:

It would be preferred if one could solve this in a peaceful way, but that is not possible, whoever it was that attacked America will continue to attack America unless he/she is stopped, once that individual or organisation is stopped however, it will be time to use wisdom and peaceful means to stop another one from being created, and to further understanding and peace between everyone so that we can stand together if another should arise and not have some people have such a hatred for others that they could celebrate such a terrible disaster as the one we saw on tuesday.

------------------
Worshipper of Tiax.

Wielder of the ancient Lawyer spells.

Member of the HADB clan.

Ally of the Fluffy Queen and the Dreaded Red Fluffy

[This message has been edited by Neb (edited 09-16-2001).]