Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2006, 08:16 PM   #1
rah_pillage
Dungeon Master

Just finished NWN OC and I got no prompt to save my character the game just ended and went to the NEW, LOAD, MULTIPLAYER, MOVIES, OPTIONS, EXIT screen.

How do I save my character for the modules somebody was telling me about? This is retarded.
Old 03-28-2006, 08:39 PM   #2
Nightowl2
Galvatron

No foolin'. Just about everyone hated how the OC ended. If you have a save there in limbo with Haedraline before stepping through the portal, go back to it and export your character. Or else to your most recent other save and export from there.

Nightowl2
Nightowl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 08:53 PM   #3
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

I think it automatically exports your char when the game ends. Check your local vault for the char with a number behind it.
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 09:10 PM   #4
rah_pillage
Dungeon Master

what's a local vault? and how do I get to the export screen?
Old 03-29-2006, 07:23 AM   #5
rah_pillage
Dungeon Master

I found it and the export option, thanks.

Finished up with a Lvl 16 pure fighter, should be good for something later.

All and all it was a good experience though it took some getting use to not having a whole team of henchman to round out my group like in other games. It probably adds to the replay value trying another class, but I'd like the team based system better to try multiple classes at once. With all the games out there (Playstation, Xbox, PC..I have)it's not something I have time to, or would like to do.

The story could have been more immersive, you could see were they were trying to go with it but it didn't work. It was window dressing and kinda shallow.

For the most part the fights were never over-the-top, I guess they toned down the enemy becuase of the basically solo character, but because of the lack of multiple characters to control mixed with the fairly easy fights, the game devolved into a hack and slash fest pretty quickly.

I finished the game thinking..

I wish there were more party members
I wish the party members talked about things and had banter like Planescape Torment or Baldur's Gate II.
I wish the story was more engaging like Planescape (never got over that game, it just worked... can somebody say tattos for buffs, how cool was that)

But I did leave really liking the graphics (compared to the old 2D), and the game mechanics (I could image if Planscape had been done with this engine).

Oh well, I'd like to just go straight to HotU but since SoU is tied to it I read (seems silly, I pretty much waste my lvl 16 fighter and hours or gameplay to have to start another game from scratch that IS connected to the next expansion), but I'll give it a break for a bit then play through it to get to what I hear is about the best of the retail games.

Then on to the Mods while waiting for NWN2!!
Old 03-29-2006, 07:48 AM   #6
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

You are exactly right about the OC, and it's basically the same in the expansions, if the stories are slightly better. The main point was to show what could be done with the toolset, and let me tell you, a lot of the community generated content is a lot better. I'm not talking about just custom stuff either, but some of the modules are just plain better than what Bioware put out. Enjoy the expansions, and then start hunting for stuff that suits your tastes a little better.
Old 03-29-2006, 02:05 PM   #7
Stratos
Vampire

Well, the expansion packs are a bit better; slightly less hack'n'slash, more skill checks and generally "feels" more difficult.

As for the fan-made mods I would say that about 95% falls short of Biowares works. It's simply alot of things that needs to "click" to make a good module. There's alot of very cool custom-made content, though, but that's different from modules.

Online gamingworlds on servers can be very good, but then again, those are continually "cared" for by their makers and probably recieve alot of feedback.

Edit: But considering mods are free to download, they're still very much worth the effort.

[ 03-29-2006, 02:06 PM: Message edited by: Stratos ]
Old 03-31-2006, 07:02 AM   #8
Mozenwrathe
Symbol of Cyric

Just start downloading the modules which have hit Hall Of Fame status on the Vault (nwvault.ign.com) if you want more to do between the Original Campaign and Hordes Of The Underdark. There was a contest for creating the best crossover module from the OC to HotU, and I believe a guy under the name Papermonk won. Regardless, there are a ton of nicely done modules out there to "fill in the blanks" for you if you are not quite ready to run your character through HotU just yet.

For something different, however, check out the Penultima series, as well as anything touched by Adam Miller.
There are no paths to power which are not fraught with confrontation. No matter the battle, a lesson must be won. In the end, the path shall fade into nothingness for the one walking it, but may go on for eternity for those whom choose to follow. One must know their own footsteps before taking that first step, or instead of choosing your battles, your battles will choose you.
Mozenwrathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 07:58 AM   #9
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Ah, Penultima. I played the first three of those right after they were released, they were a pleasant switch from some of the other modules I played.
Old 04-01-2006, 05:53 AM   #10
Stratos
Vampire

I found the Penultima series so-so. Millers other works are way better.

I'm currently checking out the Infernal Crown series. A module series for evil-aligned characters where you play a member of some religious order of twisted vigilantes that spend most of they're time butchering other evil-doers. They're some form of misguided paladins.

[ 04-01-2006, 05:57 AM: Message edited by: Stratos ]