Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2006, 05:09 AM   #1
bakrus
The Magister

my character is a LVL 32 ranger/wizard/arcane archer and have never had any problems to defeat my enemies.. but now as i face mephistopheles i can`t take him out at all!.... i only have my shield golem with me since my henchmen sided with M.
I have 380 or something in health and he still kills me after 3-4 hits. and when i hit him i damage him for just 9-15 hp... and the only magic that hurts him is acid but it`s still not enough... i think i have tried every thing i know or carry but it still not enough to kill him or to protect me long enough to take him out.
i`ve only reached to hurt him to the "injured" level...

so how do i kill mephistopheles?
Old 03-27-2006, 05:32 AM   #2
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

That one is a keep plugging at it kind of thing. I beat him with rogue build, but I didn't try to go toe to toe with him. You should have at least one method of maintaining something like distance, and if you have enough acid arrows, plug away.
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 11:13 AM   #3
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

I used a ranger build, and used various tactics. Going toe to toe, than running, healing, firing arrows, going toe to toe, repeat until he died. One of my melee weapons did have acid damage from the underdark upgrade, and I had lots of acid arrows. It did take a long time for me to defeat him, and I also had the advantage of my allies for a wee bit of help.

[ 03-27-2006, 11:15 AM: Message edited by: pritchke ]
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 11:16 AM   #4
Nightowl2
Galvatron

The easy way is to get his true name from the Knower. Then you have no problems at all.

Otherwise, yes, it's a very hard fight and only acid is really useful. He has a lot of damage resistance/reduction (I forget which).

NIghtowl2
Nightowl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 11:19 AM   #5
Stratos
Vampire

I believe Mephy have 20/- against slashing, piercing and bludgeon damage and something like 25/- against just about everything else except acid damage. And imunities to boot.
Old 03-27-2006, 12:20 PM   #6
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

He was the ultimate tank.
Old 03-29-2006, 02:24 AM   #7
bakrus
The Magister

damn... what character LVL did you guys have when you fought him?

i fight with two enserric the longsword and are fully upgraded and have haste and vampiric and celestial damage on them .. and one fine looking short bow from the tavern in the 8th hell...

battle: starts with the sword for 2-3 hits, then withdraws and heals up, running around and shoots him with arrows, then attack with swords, heals up again, casts cloudkill (damage for 18Hp), summon some creatures and then saves some time to hit him with my bow.... and so on.

after i have done this i have used 25 healing potion( + a heal ring), 6 acid bombs and summoned 4 cratures, both my animal companion( bear) and shield golem is dead, all acid spells are used up (not arrows)and he`s still just injured...!!

i also tried to save during battle when everything works out fine but i still can`t defeat him after i have loaded.

and why doesn`t anything change between easy and the hardest diffeculty?
i played through the dungeon on the hardest diffeculty but i haven`t yet noticed any changes during easy on this fight!?
Old 03-29-2006, 05:11 AM   #8
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Depending on the build, you are going to do more dmg in melee, than with the bow, do you not have acid dmg on the swords? It's going to take that to put the big guy down. I might also suggest that you go to a single long sword, instead of dual wielding. Rangers get nice bonuses, but they are more effective with small weapons. You take less of a hit on you overall ab than you will using medium or large weapons. I'm betting you are losing at least 5 points on your overall ab dual wielding the long swords.
Old 03-29-2006, 07:48 AM   #9
bakrus
The Magister

hmm if i can`t take him out yet, then i`ll have to play through underdark once more...
Old 03-30-2006, 11:32 AM   #10
Stratos
Vampire

I've never actually bothered to beat him in combat, I just used his True Name and unmade him. It's not like I needed those 500,000 gold pieces anyway.