Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2003, 12:33 AM   #11
Gangrell
Iron Throne Cult

I swear, it kills me to see how incredibly ignorant the people of the music industry are. If they were to come up as soon as they did her and try and lay a lawsuit of 1 million plus dollars on me, I would just laugh and walk off. They know for fact that people cannot pay these charges, these are small town people trying to make a living, they can't touch them even if they don't pay.

They may as well cry about the net while they're at it. They can't realize that no matter how much of a bind you put on it, there will always be a way to get songs onto the net, so I don't see why they bother.

Ohhhh La La La La, They Lost! Dun Dun!

(Yes, I am touchy about the subject, when big industry people pick on small town folk it tends to irritate me [img]tongue.gif[/img] )
Old 09-10-2003, 12:41 AM   #12
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

I have been following news like this for the past couple days now. One old man of 70 something said that he'd received the sueing papers and he was rather upset at them, due to the fact that it was his grandson that had used his PC without his consent to do so, to download music. The Grandpa in this case is the one being sued. Lawyers for the defence (that's us) said that in certain states, like CA,,,that a parent could not be held accountable for the misuse of a PC by a minor. If they come to my door and say that they are taking me in, I will show them evidence that it was not me...but rather MaryBeth. I have the evidence right here.

Pic at Stealthy's Website

[ 09-10-2003, 12:42 AM: Message edited by: Larry_OHF ]
Old 09-10-2003, 12:44 AM   #13
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Ziroc:
It's going to make even more people resent RIAA now, and not want to buy as many CD's--or ANY. They really took the wrong path here.
I agree. They can't win by being seen as "the ennemy". They need to calm down and find some alternative solutions.

But I think the fight against music and software piracy is a lost one. People do it to get free songs, so even if they charged very little for music download, few people would stop piracy.

The best solution I found is for them to make a super music sharing program/server, and offer the music for free, but put ads on the download software. Maybe they could encript the music file in a new file extension(.ria or something), and then create a player for those, and put ads in the player, too. People could pay for an add free version.

In my opinion that's the only way RIAA can make money out of the internet. By competing with KAZAA and other like that.

They would have a big advantage, as they could still sue people using the illegal KAZAA. People would then use their official program instead, as it would be free too. They could even copyright the file type, like gif are registered to some company, and photoshop have to pay royalties to support it. Companies would then have to pay for the right to use that file format, but at least now their users would not get sued.

Seem like a good idea to me.
Old 09-10-2003, 01:02 AM   #14
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Question Mark

I'm not beleiving this. Members of this forum are flat out Pirates and Crooks. You all support breaking the law, copyright infringement, etc..

Every last one of you ought to be lined up and taken in. The RIAA told you back when napster was shut down, "Don't do this, it's illegal".

Just a few months ago they gave a fair warning, "stop, or we will come to you" Not only did they get the feds to back them, they even have special internet programs to find you.

For those of you who are the crooks, and think you are doing nothing wrong, this should be your wake up call. I hope they find all of you that are copyright stealing products.

YOU ARE THE ONES THAT MAKE THE LEGITIMATE CONSUMER PAY A HIGHER PRICE. BECAUSE YOU ARE STEALING, AND WE THE CONSUMER MUST PAY FOR YOUR FOUL PLAY.

So, either stop and buy. Or get hit with a hefty fine that you will pay or go to jail!

Felix

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Old 09-10-2003, 01:17 AM   #15
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Felix The Assassin:
I'm not beleiving this. Members of this forum are flat out Pirates and Crooks. You all support breaking the law, copyright infringement, etc..

Every last one of you ought to be lined up and taken in. The RIAA told you back when napster was shut down, "Don't do this, it's illegal".

Just a few months ago they gave a fair warning, "stop, or we will come to you" Not only did they get the feds to back them, they even have special internet programs to find you.

For those of you who are the crooks, and think you are doing nothing wrong, this should be your wake up call. I hope they find all of you that are copyright stealing products.

YOU ARE THE ONES THAT MAKE THE LEGITIMATE CONSUMER PAY A HIGHER PRICE. BECAUSE YOU ARE STEALING, AND WE THE CONSUMER MUST PAY FOR YOUR FOUL PLAY.

So, either stop and buy. Or get hit with a hefty fine that you will pay or go to jail!

Felix
I dislike music and don't download any, so stop accusing us all of piracy.

But I am for the free flow of information, and against suing kids and teenagers.

I don't believe the music industry is short on money, as cds cost less to make than tape, and they still sell for a lot more, and I'm pretty sure they are simply using piracy as an excuse to raise the already inflated prices even more, but if I liked music, I wouldn't mind paying a little more than the already ridicullously high price they charge, if it could allow those kids to get their free music on the net.

That's right. I don't mind piracy, and I'm willing to pay higher prices on my products in order to "support" piracy, be it games, movies, music or software.
Old 09-10-2003, 02:21 AM   #16
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

the way they are doing is very ridiculous. they obviously took the wrong path (like Z said) in defending thier music industry. i dont mind they take precaution in defending thier music but a 12 year old girl or children for that matter have no concept of rules and such in the industry. children are children and they make mistakes or do mistakes without knowing they are doing it in the first place.

Catch me if you can..
Old 09-10-2003, 02:44 AM   #17
JrKASperov
Fzoul Chembryl

Well, I would gladly buy more cd's, if they made that rediculously high price lower. And what do we as the consumers see? Popstarts that have so much millions they can throw big party's every day. Music business people that are richer than the artist! Take a hike, I will be downloading! I will NOT support ANYone to live at such a rate that allows them to put it in the bank and live easily off it while people downtown are suffering cause they have to do TWO jobs and must cut down on food and drink, that's insane.
Old 09-10-2003, 05:35 AM   #18
IAmThumper
Dungeon Master

Did you know that a portion of every CD, burner, and burner software sale goes to RIAA and that the money never reaches the artists?
80-90% of all music is controlled by 5 music labels and only 20% of the music they own they allow to be sold. So sometimes the only way to get a song you want is to copy it. Basically they don't allow you to buy them so you end up pirating and then they sue you. Smells fishy to me!
I don't buy CDs since I don't want to pay that much for the one or two songs I want. If I could pay 1/16th of the price for 1/16th of a CD I would do so but I can't so I won't. What they need more than the law suits is a way to sell songs this way over the internet.
Old 09-10-2003, 05:58 AM   #19
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Quote:
Felix, Read this rule:

Be Responsible: Do not post slanderous, libelous or any defamatory statements on the Ironworks Gaming Forum, we will not be held responsible for your posts, but just the same, we'd rather not go there! Posts that appear to be defamatory should have supporting references included.
---

Just because people may not agree with HOW RIAA is handling this (suing a 12yo) does NOT make people here pirates and crooks. That is slander. We also have another rule, which EVERYONE should read before posting:

---
No Piracy: DO NOT post links to 'warez sites'. Do not discuss pirating games, MP3's, bragging about pirating or anything else. This will get your account suspended or banned. The only possible thing you CAN discuss is the so-called 'cracks' for no CD operation. SOME Games don't work on some peoples CD-ROM's. This is because of a special copy protection called 'Safe Disc'. But that is it. Anything else is considered pirating.

[ 09-10-2003, 06:00 AM: Message edited by: Ziroc ]

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Old 09-10-2003, 05:59 AM   #20
Chewbacca
Zartan

Quote:

Felix
I stand with you.

More than 700 music stores closed in America in the last year. As a store manager I had two close on me in 6 months. The company I worked for closed a total of 182 alone.

People bitch about the high cost of cd's but have no clue how ridulous rent is inside a shopping mall. They are clueless to the financial realities music speciality retailers face caught between their thievery and the ridiculous price paid to the labels for the CDs wholesale. Sure the big retailers have made mistakes, like the M.A.P program that helped the lables fix artifically inflated prices. But that is still not the fault of the little people.

They steal music off the internet or from the store thinking they are giving those corporate fat-cats the finger. They aint.

They have merely helped unemploy literally tens of thousands of people (INCLUDING ME!) making less than 40k a year. The retail workers and record label street reps are the mains ones to get hurt, not the executives or artists.

So all I have to say to music theives and priates is I believe in karma so if you know what you are doing is wrong, I believe you will indeed get yours one day.

edited out offensive middle finger smiley.

[ 09-10-2003, 06:01 AM: Message edited by: Chewbacca ]