Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2002, 05:38 PM   #21
Downunda
Set - Egyptian God of Chaos

Thank you for your kind words TL. New Zealand definately has alot of picture postcard scenery but what I was meaning was...

Because of our small population and relative isolation we are not the richest country around and due to this we don't have the same sort of opportunities that for example someone from Australia or America might have - Jobwise, educationwise or healthwise.
But as I said, I'm happy with the "laid back", "cruisy" and "relaxing" lifestyle that NZ offers [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-28-2002, 07:01 PM   #22
Charean
Hathor

I am still confused why the rest of the world is not happy. It is THIER choice of government, THIER country, and yet get they get all bent out of shape about AMERICANS?! Why aren't they working on what they want to fix in their own homes?

I don't understand what you mean about Americans shoving in your face if we have a nicer house. No one I know does this, and no one on the board does this. What exactly are you referring to??

I get really tired of the "Americans are sticking their noses in other people's business". That is a bunch of hooey. We are usually there because we are (A)-Invited to do so, or (B)-because some action has been done to us. I haven't noticed us being expansionist and trying to take over other countries, I don't see us going in another country "just because", and I don't see us using terrorism on ANYONE.

So explain to me, exactly, why the hostility to the US?

(I am more than ready for the flambee to begin)
Old 10-28-2002, 07:13 PM   #23
Downunda

No need for flames to fly [img]smile.gif[/img]

I'm sorry that I didn't explain myself properly. By saying "shoving it in peoples faces" I meant that I didn't like the way that America thinks that it's better than everyone else (Iron Rangers post reg. the best house on the block).

I said it in a previous post and I'll say it again... I like living in New Zealand, the lifestyle here isn't for everyone but it suits me perfectly [img]smile.gif[/img] I'm not saying that it is perfect... we have serious problems with health and education (basically getting enough money for them) but at the end of the day I am happy here.

I am in no way hostile to the US and I believe that there are certain things that are done in America that New Zealand should adopt; that said, I say again that I don't like certain "holier than thou" attitudes that some Americans exert.
Old 10-28-2002, 07:14 PM   #24
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Oh no..... not again.
Old 10-28-2002, 07:16 PM   #25
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Rokenn:
This is too funny:
From wired news-

Dear Saddam, How Can I Help? (U.S. vs. Them 2:00 a.m. PDT)
http://go.hotwired.com/news/conflict....html/wn_ascii

People from all over the world -- including the United States -- e-
mail Saddam Hussein with advice on how Iraq can defeat America in a
war, offer moral support and even broker business deals. By Brian
McWilliams.
Just a comment [img]smile.gif[/img] anyone from the USA offering to broker business deals, offering financial support or in any other way aiding Iraq against the USA can now be charged under the sedition laws and may be declared a traitor [img]smile.gif[/img]

Old 10-28-2002, 07:19 PM   #26
Downunda

Quote:
Originally posted by johnny:
Oh no..... not again.
What? Did you fart?
Old 10-28-2002, 07:21 PM   #27
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Downunda:
quote:
Originally posted by johnny:
Oh no..... not again.
What? Did you fart?[/QUOTE]Eeeerm...yeah... that too !
Old 10-28-2002, 07:34 PM   #28
Charean
Hathor

I don't notice the "holier than thou" attitude myself. I see a few who are trying to defend their way of life and the country they live in to those who continually tell us how bad we are.

It is really hard to take the continual barrage.

Anyone would notice that I usually say nothing about this, but I don't bash other countries and I certainly don't expect ANYONE ELSE to bash mine.

Since 9-11, there is increasing freedom on this board to say that we were asking for it or whatever, which doesn't bother me. But when it continues on and on like this I begin to wonder how prejudiced people are. Again. I don't do this to others and for it to continue bothers me a great deal.

I may sound like I am a witch, but right now I am at the end of my rope. My country is considering a war which I am totally against because our President feels the need to assert himself. This is affecting many people that I know. Also our economy hasn't really recovered from that and I find it difficult to make ends meet. I am not blaming anyone, but my nerves are frazzled. In the last year this country has been under attack from many sides and after a while it will get to you.

I would like to know how many others could deal with the amount of difficulty we have had with the same amount of fortitude.
Old 10-28-2002, 07:42 PM   #29
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Charean:
I don't notice the "holier than thou" attitude myself. I see a few who are trying to defend their way of life and the country they live in to those who continually tell us how bad we are.

It is really hard to take the continual barrage.

Anyone would notice that I usually say nothing about this, but I don't bash other countries and I certainly don't expect ANYONE ELSE to bash mine.

Since 9-11, there is increasing freedom on this board to say that we were asking for it or whatever, which doesn't bother me. But when it continues on and on like this I begin to wonder how prejudiced people are. Again. I don't do this to others and for it to continue bothers me a great deal.

I may sound like I am a witch, but right now I am at the end of my rope. My country is considering a war which I am totally against because our President feels the need to assert himself. This is affecting many people that I know. Also our economy hasn't really recovered from that and I find it difficult to make ends meet. I am not blaming anyone, but my nerves are frazzled. In the last year this country has been under attack from many sides and after a while it will get to you.

I would like to know how many others could deal with the amount of difficulty we have had with the same amount of fortitude.
Cutiepie, you had me right up till you accused Bush of wantingthis war just to "assert" himself. Let me say that there are MORE than enough checks and balances to prevent that kind of egotism from running the government. There is a VERY good reason why the vast majority of Congress (both Republicans and Democrats) are backing him, and it is NOT just so they can let him assert himself. I know it is hard to believe, but he and they actually do know far more about Iraq than anyone who visits this board. And I believe they are doing the right thing. This is not about personal ego. I know how badly some people want to be able to ascribe it to Bush's ego, but that bird don't fly!

[ 10-28-2002, 07:44 PM: Message edited by: MagiK ]

Old 10-28-2002, 07:46 PM   #30
True_Moose
Gold Dragon

To start, johnny, take some Gas-X or something.

Anyhow, I don't have a problem with the US. It's a nice country, and I've visited it a lot. You can't say, however, that the US has never been known to stick it's noses into others' business. Take the Vietnam War, for example. On the other hand, there are wars like the Gulf War. It wouldn't have been half as big if Saudi Arabia hadn't been a major producer of oil. And I don't have a problem with that. Often, "Muslim" (and I use that word loosely when you associate it with Bin Laden & company) fundamentalists use that as an argument "all they wanted was the oil."

And to that I say

YES!!

Are they honestly supposed to stand by as their #1 producer of their #1 resource is being conquered by a person hostile to them. No. It would have been justified for Iraq if the US was taking away Iraq's source of, say, water or something. Terrorists often take situations like that as their "justification" but honestly, how many civilians had been killed in the Gulf War. I recognize that thousands of families starved in the after-war bombings, but that's a different story. There is no excuse to taking 3000+ non-combatant lives. Ever.

By the way, I don't agree with this new war in Iraq. If it can be proven to me that there is any real threat against the US or NATO or any of it's allies, fine, but as it is, prior bad acts are inadmissable (got that off Law & Order [img]tongue.gif[/img] )