Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2004, 12:21 PM   #1
booklord
Dungeon Master

Just out of Curiousity I'm wondering what instruments people have their bards carry? Please list only the instruments the bard keeps in their personal inventory.

Instruments that I no longer use
  • Angel's Tongue ( Bless 1 )
  • Frigid Fiddle ( Freeze Flesh 3)
  • Horn of Fear ( Terror 3 )
  • Mandolin of Magus ( Magic Screen 3 )
  • Poet's Lute ( Sleep 3 )
  • Silent Lyre ( Silence 3 )
  • Snare of Delay ( Slow 3 )
  • Soulful Sax ( Soul Shield 4 )
  • Viola d'Amore ( Charm 3 )
Instruments My bard keeps on her.
  • Arresting Aria ( Freeze All 3 )
  • Banshee Howl ( Hex 3 )
  • Dulcimer of Mending ( Heal All 3 )
  • Jericho Horn ( Armormelt 3 )
  • Piercing Pipes ( Shrill Sound 3 )
  • Rousing Drums ( Haste 3 )
  • Siren's Wail ( Insanity 3 )
  • Succubus Song ( Lifesteal 3 )
Instruments I've yet to find... ( Dont Tell Me Where! )
  • Chaos Drone ( Pandemonium 3 )
  • Hades Harp ( Cerebral Hemorrhage 3 )
  • Infernal Horn ( Nuclear Blast 3 )
  • Renaissance Lute ( Restoration 3 )
  • Strings of Seduction ( Turncoat 3 )

[ 06-17-2004, 12:21 PM: Message edited by: booklord ]
booklord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 12:55 PM   #2
Wereboar
Baaz Draconian

Looks quite like my usual midgame list. Except that i don't use Banshees Howl, but stick with Soulful Sax instead.
Later, Lifesteal gets replaced with Hades Harp, and Piercing Pipes with Infernal Horn. And the Renaissance Lute probably replaces the jericho horn, since armormelt is rarely necessary late in the game.
Wereboar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 01:07 PM   #3
booklord
Dungeon Master

I can't justify carrying an instrument that casts a level 4 Soul Shield when i've got 3 or 4 spellcasters ( depending if Vi is with me ) who can do it at level 6 or 7.
booklord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 05:18 PM   #4
Gadgeteer Tom
Dungeon Master

Yep, as my Madge and Monk develop magic - different instruments are more useful, and sometimes I equip to select more effective ones depending on resistances of the Foes...

The most overlooked ones for me were Renaissance Lute and Chaos Drone. I finally realizeed that the Lute delivered piles of Stamina, as well as fixing poison, fear, etc. And the Chaoe Drone affects all foes in earshot, quick confusion.

Turncoat can be annoying, especially if you need to use Heal All (cause then you heal the turncats also)

I can't get the Infernal Horn to do much damage, although with my bard's Music skill at 120 - these instruments are well above the levels you show in your list.

Spoil me - where'd you find a Soulful Sax (I couldn't take the one from Saxx even after he's dead) ?? [PM if it seems to be too much of a spoiler].

Also, without Vi, I have none in my Party who can cast Bless, and it DOES help...

And on ascension peak there's a very tough to hurt slime as well as (oh what the heck was it called - looks like a GIANT Scorcher, over 1000Hp) anyway, Armormelt can help - as well as walking up to those Demons that like to cast Deathcloud over and over to smack them with blades and staffs.
Old 06-17-2004, 05:27 PM   #5
Scatter
Symbol of Cyric

Magus i always leave in the Party inventory and keep it up when not in combat. Otherwise, everything depends upon the other party members, if any--i carry what the others can't cast. It also depends upon what kind of encounters i'm expecting. For example, once i start expecting a lot of hostile magic, i carry the Sax. Ones i almost always carry once i have them are Hex, Armormelt, Restore, and Banish. (for Heal All and Haste i prefer the artifacts, as they take much less stamina)
Scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 11:46 PM   #6
Ziggurat
Symbol of Cyric

Like Scatter I always leave Magus in the other inventory, you use it rarely. I never use Armormelt or Succubus,I recommend Chaos highly for Rapx.
Old 06-18-2004, 12:09 AM   #7
Loudhy
Drizzt Do'Urden

My bard carries (depending on what party I have)

Angel's Tongue
Rousing Drum
Chaos Drone
Dulcimer of Mending
Soulful Sax
Jericho Horn
Banshees Howl
Arresting Aria

Backpack:

Mandolin of Magus
Renaissance Lute
Viola d'Amore

The rest I usually sell.

[img]graemlins/monster5.gif[/img]
Loudhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2004, 07:13 AM   #8
Wereboar
Baaz Draconian

Quote:
I can't justify carrying an instrument that casts a level 4 Soul Shield when i've got 3 or 4 spellcasters ( depending if Vi is with me ) who can do it at level 6 or 7.
Well, i rarely have more than 4 characters (including RPCs, if any). So i usually have one or two characters who can cast the spell, and they might have other priorities (elemental shield, and a ball spell to initiate combat from out of sight). And a decent bard regulary casts sould shield at level 7.

Quote:
I can't get the Infernal Horn to do much damage, although with my bard's Music skill at 120 - these instruments are well above the levels you show in your list.
Depends on the order in which you visit the locations.
I usually do Rapax before Bayjin, Sea Caves, Mt. Gigas Caves, SE wildernesse. So many areas where it does a lot of damage.

Quote:
Spoil me - where'd you find a Soulful Sax (I couldn't take the one from Saxx even after he's dead) ??
It is possible to take it from Saxx.
(Take it, Right-Click on another character in this screen (upper left corner) to give it to him. Saxx complains. Now just take any item from your party inventory and give it to him, and he is fine)

[ 06-18-2004, 07:15 AM: Message edited by: Wereboar ]
Wereboar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2004, 12:45 PM   #9
Scatter
Symbol of Cyric

Or pick his pocket.
Or kill him with him out of the party.
Scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2004, 10:26 PM   #10
babar
Manshoon

Renaissance Lute ( Restoration )
Dulcimer of Mending ( Heal All )
Piercing Pipes ( Shrill Sound )
Siren's Wail ( Insanity )
Infernal Horn ( Nuclear Blast )
Banshee Howl ( Hex )
Jericho Horn ( Armormelt )
Arresting Aria ( Freeze All )

I don't like the Chaos, because I don't like having to hunt down the enemy when they run away.

I don't know why I keep the Arresting Aria, it rarely works. I also rarely use Banshee or jericho. The other instruments are too heavy or not very useful.

sometimes I will swap one or two of the last 3 with emergency stamina/restore or Cornu of Demonspawn.

[ 06-20-2004, 10:29 PM: Message edited by: babar ]
babar is offline   Reply With Quote