Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum

Old 01-05-2007, 12:47 AM   #1
hayesed22
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Do not know what they used for testers but a lot
of mistakes. Party members always blocking and getting
in the way. Can not attack because they may be blocking
you. there are problems with movements. not up to par
this game should have had the problems worked out
before the release. BG1--BG11 NWN1 Quility was so much
better for not having so many mistakes as this nwn2.
Hopfuly there will be updates to correct these problems.
My Equiptment is way up to date so it's not there.
Should have been a better Release and not so hurried.
I know some will like this game and not worry with
the Glities.
hayesed22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 06:15 AM   #2
JrKASperov
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by hayesed22:
NWN1 Quility was so much
better
BWAAHAAHAA!
Old 01-05-2007, 08:44 AM   #3
Mozenwrathe
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
As directly quoted from JrKASperov:

quote:

NWN1 Quility was so much better

BWAAHAAHAA!

[/QUOTE]Okay, I have to ask why the laughter? I know the semantics about the games (both NeverWinterNights Original and Two) have been argued throughout these forums for quite a while now. I know there are many who have decided preferences as to the controls, the gameplay, and the interface to use three examples. What I want to know, however, is why there was no comment on the arguements presented in hayesed22's post, but merely laughter. I am confused here, and I would love some clarity made in your reasoning.

To be honest, I have never played NeverWinter Nights 2, mainly as my computer still cannot handle it. I am still in the process of building a computer that will play it (hopefully) and I'll be building a gaming machine AFTER I finish this one. I just need to purchase the RAM and the graphics card for the time being. The reviews I have seen for it thus far have all been polarized: either one loves it or hates it. There are very few midway reports on NeverWinter Nights 2, and those people whom have rated it highly have STILL had problems playing the game.
There are no paths to power which are not fraught with confrontation. No matter the battle, a lesson must be won. In the end, the path shall fade into nothingness for the one walking it, but may go on for eternity for those whom choose to follow. One must know their own footsteps before taking that first step, or instead of choosing your battles, your battles will choose you.
Mozenwrathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 09:49 AM   #4
Bithron
Baaz Draconian

It's a good game, but it has a lot of interface, control and bug problems. Let's not argue between NWN and NWN2 before 2 becomes a finished product...

The bugs will be fixed in time with updates and patches, just like NWN...
Old 01-05-2007, 10:52 AM   #5
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by Mozenwrathe:
quote:

quote:

BWAAHAAHAA!

[/QUOTE]Okay, I have to ask why the laughter? I know the semantics about the games (both NeverWinterNights Original and Two) have been argued throughout these forums for quite a while now. I know there are many who have decided preferences as to the controls, the gameplay, and the interface to use three examples. What I want to know, however, is why there was no comment on the arguements presented in hayesed22's post, but merely laughter. I am confused here, and I would love some clarity made in your reasoning.

To be honest, I have never played NeverWinter Nights 2, mainly as my computer still cannot handle it. I am still in the process of building a computer that will play it (hopefully) and I'll be building a gaming machine AFTER I finish this one. I just need to purchase the RAM and the graphics card for the time being. The reviews I have seen for it thus far have all been polarized: either one loves it or hates it. There are very few midway reports on NeverWinter Nights 2, and those people whom have rated it highly have STILL had problems playing the game.
[/QUOTE]I'm sorry hayesed22 hates the game. I don't, and I think his comments, although somewhat accurate, don't tell the whole story.

Here's my two cents. Say what you will but the party AI and pathfinding in NWN2 is leaps and bounds above anything that NWN1 or the BG series had. Go back and read some of the complaints about do-nothing companions in NWN1! or the stupid pathfinding in BG. People screamed about how bad they were! And I agreed. The old pathfinding sucked, and the character AI wasn't bad - it was NON-existent! This is SUCH an imporvement!

The AI in NWN2 is still not perfect, but at least you don't have characters sitting around with their thumbs up their butts watching you get sliced and diced by some six-armed demon. Okay drinking a potion of LORE in the middle of combat isn't the brightest thing I've ever seen a character do, but at least the AI isn't sitting around doing NOTHING! It does require a little bit of character management but an occasional *space bar pause* is usually all that's required to set things straight. Combat is manageable enough that you should be able to skip around your characters and keep an eye on what they are doing. There is ample time to redirect them if necessary. In fact, I have MORE problems trying to STOP my characters from rushing off into combat than I do getting them off their lazy butts! It is SUCH an improvement and it works well 90% of the time. It still needs work - but it's SO much better.

I also believe I know where your *blocking* problems are coming in - and that's at doorways, and probably when you are trying to run into a room to fight something. Gee, let's see if four or five people can run thru a doorway all at the same time. That works SO WELL in real life, it ought to work as well in the game! Well, YEAH, it DOES work as well in the game as it does in real life! Some people get thru, others STOP and if they stop in the doorway, it gets blocked. Well DOH! Color me surprised! Give them another command to move them again and unblock the door! Sheesh! Go to puppet mode if its an issue. I've had it happen to me and it usually takes one extra round to get things squared away, two at most. I can remember countless times in multiplayer NWN1 where the SAME thing happened - one of us would try to go thru the door at the same time as another party member and one of us got stopped dead in our tracks. IT'S NOT A GAME PROBLEM WHEN THE GAME SIMULATES REALITY! People are always screaming to be able to do things they can do in real life, but when the game goes the OTHER way and says, "No, that's not physically possible, you can't do it here", people get all twisted off and claim it's "bad game design".

As for general movement, the pathfinding in NWN2 is also far, far better than in any of the games mentioned. I've had ZERO occurences of characters getting stuck in doors, walls, desks or some other unnatural and obviously painful blockage. That used to be a COMMON occurence in NWN1. And if the issue is that people aren't following it's PROBABLY because you told them to "stand their ground" and then didn't countermand the order with "Follow me" afterwards. In fairness, it DOES happen after an area transition but gee, how much trouble is it, once you zone in, to issue a simple "Follow me" command just to make sure? Takes what - a couple of seconds? I just don't see that as a big show stopping issue, why try to turn it into one?

Moz, I have had ONE show stopping bug. ONE! And in fairness, that WAS a problem with the 1.02 patch. I've since uninstalled, defragged, reinstalled, updated the autopatcher and patched to v1.03 and since then i've had ZERO problems. I've had NONE of the problems people have had with busted scripts, quests not triggering, WMP movement failures. NONE of that. The ONLY bugs I've really encountered are things like a couple of faulty crafting recipes, the un-enforced Greycloak limit(everybody has that - its a code error) and a couple of other minor things. Most of it is minor stuff. Personally, I think a LOT of the complaints on the Bioware forums are from people who (1) either try to run this game on slow machines that don't meet even the minimum specs (well my system ran NWN1 - NWN2 should run fine *sigh*), (2) try to play the game with all sorts of crap running in the background - ESPECIALLY Norton AV! and wonder why the game is twitchy, and (3) who haven't defragged / cleaned their systems since before dinosaurs walked the earth! Sorry for the rant.

< Running Norton AV in the background WILL blow your NWN2 game performance out the window. Game scripts can get triggered randomly and all sorts of bizarre behavior will happen. If you are running NAV in background, SHUT IT OFF. If you're on DSL switch off your modem whem you play if you're worried about it.>

Okay, I know that there are people who DO have high end systems and even some dual core systems that SHOULD be able to run the game with no problems based on their hardware and for some reason can't. Without having access to those systems, to see how they are set up, to make sure that drivers are up to date, well, I have to say that am I skeptical that those systems wouldn't run the game if somebody actually did some routine maintenance on them. Sorry but if MY system (which is a good system but not cutting edge) can run this game, and run it well, then I have a really hard time believing that higher end systems can not. At that point I have to wonder if it's the SYSTEM and not the game that is the problem.

hayesed22, I really am sorry that you are disappointed in the game. I am not denying that the issues you raised do occur, but I do think they are minor or easily solved.

sorry for the long rant.

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 01:45 AM   #6
teardropmina
Drizzt Do'Urden

well...now I was just venturing into Act II last night, here my several 2 cents...

1. BUGS: with the diversity of computer configurations, it's quite difficult for any PC game to be without bugs; the more tech advanced game the more probabilities of bugs. Most games(if not all), including BG2, have patches followed up official release. It's my habit to play any game after a patch or two. In this case, I started playing after the latest 1.03 (840) patch came out. Patching up the game first, imo, should be a PC gamer's required habit.

2. gameplay or game itself -- I'm not disapponted thus far (actully enjoy it very, very much) because it reminds me much of BG2. But think about it more, it should remind me more of KotOR series, especially the 2nd one (home base exchange party configuration only + influence system); it's just that one is in Star War universes and the other is in Faerun.
I personally dislike the original NWN (as I'm a single-player compigner rather than a toolset user) since I like BG type of big party adventure more; the lone wolf with a henchman thing is just not fun for me. I'm so into NWN2 right now because it's the closest thing to SoA-ToB for a looong while.
This said, I think I can understand if those who enjoyed NWN immersely are unhappy with NWN2...for overall it's closer to BG2 and KotOR than NWN. My impression so far is that it feels just like another story happened in Faerun rather than a NWN-brand story. SoA-ToB is BG-brand because of the Bhaal thing.
For game itself, it might be said that NWN2 lacks a distinctive feel that makes it a "NWN" game.

3. some issues -- personally, two complaints; firstly, the camera control; 3D is trendy and flashy and all, but the area "disorentiation effect" is frequently furstrating. Pause in SoA-ToB is mostly for combat tactics reason; in NWN2, it's used a lot to locate where my party is in a battle~~(I've posted in general game forum, I think relic's essence engine is much superior and suitable for CRPG)
then, it's the graphic...some very good and pretty, though it needs some nice GPU to show it. but some hair texture and shadow effect is simply embrassing for a game that has such high system demands.
though, those succubis are really something to look at^_^
Old 01-08-2007, 03:16 AM   #7
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Quote:
Originally posted by Mozenwrathe:
quote:

quote:

BWAAHAAHAA!

[/QUOTE]I've put forward that he works for Obsidian before. This kinda makes me want to lean more towards that opinion. I'm sorry that some people's idea of responding to somebody is to spit in their face, it's really not cool, nor did I find it amusing, no matter what smiley you choose to add. All it did for me is drop my "Take his advice seriously" rating a bit closer to zero. If you don't have anything constructive to add, why add anything?
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 05:55 AM   #8
JrKASperov
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by robertthebard:
I've put forward that he works for Obsidian before..
Ha, like you are adding anything constructive with this post

In any case, Micah's post (except for the silly 'simulate reality' argument) sums it up. These issues are minor, if at all. Also, you can't honestly think that NWN1's quality is better. That was a bad engine made for a bad hack&slash game. Monsters would bump you away if they got close and get AoO's for that. Just for walking... And now compare that to NWN2's pathfinding.
Old 01-08-2007, 10:01 AM   #9
paladinjs
Elite Waterdeep Guard

My biggest complaint about the game is that I can't update from ver. 1.01. Until they fix that problem I'm stuck with a lot of bugs. According to the Obsidian web site I'll most likely finish the game before they fix it.
paladinjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 12:38 PM   #10
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by paladinjs:
My biggest complaint about the game is that I can't update from ver. 1.01. Until they fix that problem I'm stuck with a lot of bugs. According to the Obsidian web site I'll most likely finish the game before they fix it.
Why can't you update? If it was an autopatcher problem, that has been fixed.

Can't you simply uninstall and reinstall the game and patch straight to version 1.03 all in one fell swoop.

[ 01-08-2007, 12:51 PM: Message edited by: Micah Foehammer ]

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote