Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum

Old 12-07-2006, 06:25 PM   #1
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

DO NOT READ ON IF YOU HAVEN'T BEATEN THE ENDING...

Was I the only one who thought the ending was a bit ordinary and rushed? I mean, rocks falling on me? Where's my glorious return to Crossroad Keep after an epic battle with a demigod? I hope this is because we may be able to use our OCs for any expansions that come out. And the narration seemed out of character with the game - sounded like some kid blandly reading a newspaper. No emotion at all!

The battle was ok - I only lost Qara from my team. Which was a shame as I'd been using her more than Sand. Obviously I'd lost Bishop earlier than that, but he didn't fight me. Still, it didn't markedly change the course of the battle (considering you're prompted on what you have to do to beat the KoS). The betrayal was an interesting plot device, though I only lost Qara as I said - if I had been using Qara, Neeshka and Bishop as my party throughout the game and lost them all I would probably not have been all that impressed with it! I liked the way that Bishop's betrayal was handled, less so with Qara and the others - seemed a bit out of character to do so right at the death. Would have been good to see Qara giving "hints" about what was to come, without being explicit.

Great game, I loved the whole buildup to the Crossroad Keep seige and loved the feeling of directing a big battle, but the ending was a bit of a letdown for me. The pacing in Acts 1, 2 and the first half of 3 was very good, but after porting into Merdelain it just seemed rushed and a hackfest.

Comments?

[ 12-07-2006, 07:08 PM: Message edited by: Memnoch ]

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 09:24 PM   #2
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

Me, too. I really felt like it was rushed and a set-up for a sequel. It reminded me SO MUCH of the end of SoU, right down to the falling debris and the failure to actually say that the Knight-Captain and his/her faithful followers were found crushed in the debris, just the Cloak of Neverwinter. Note that Daeghun continued to search, and all they will say that for someone with such a sword, there must be quite a destiny.

Like a friend said, "If they had the big parade, party, and 'he setttled down and lived happily to the end of his days" ending, that would preclude much of a sequel.
Old 12-20-2006, 06:28 AM   #3
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Highlight for me was the siege of Crossroad Keep for sure.

Old 12-31-2006, 11:12 PM   #4
SkyRanger
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I just finished the game tonight. I think you're right ... the narration was a guy reading off of cue (sp?) cards, and it does indeed look like a setup for a sequel. I too wanted to go back to the keep and perhaps be able to actually wear the garb of the Nine that Nasher gave me earlier when he said I was a new member of the Nine replacing Melia. I never was able to actually wear it
(( I think that could have still happened and left plenty of room for some sort of lead-in to a sequel ... "Deep in his heart, the newest member of the Nine knew that the Sword of Gith would bring other troubles to Neverwinter ... " Or something like that ... sigh.
SkyRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 09:39 AM   #5
Calaethis Dragonsbane
Legion Symbol

I just finished the game about oh, two minutes ago. My first reaction was "wtf?". I mean, com'on, it was even worse than Kotor2. I did not think it possible... what a cheap boss battle. I mean... ugh. What were they thinking?

There was nothing from Nasher either. Not a word. And damn Qara... I had a feeling she'd betray me, but that I was unable to convince her to stay with me after I'd agreed with all her stupid choices and her her influence at 17 (I checked with the console [img]smile.gif[/img] ) made me mad.

Bishop I was annoyed that I didn't get the chance to convince him to rejoin me wiht the option of "you're free from all your debts after this" - I convinced him not to fight for Garius, but... meh, why not go all the way?

And that bloody ritual they kept on and on and on about. Where was it? What happened? What a joke. Construct was useless too. There was no dialogue or anything.

Neeshka well - I'm glad that I was able to save her. Shandra... why was there no option to ressurect her? I am really annoyed at losing her. I mean, even stupid Nasher gave me a rod of ressurection. And why wouldn't the 'raise dead' spells work on the others in the village? I had a cleric with me... oh and while I'm ranting, why is it Orlen didn't have any dialogue options to inform him that West Harbour had fallen? And why did not one seem to care about it? Or even let me tell them.

Too many unanswered questions for my liking. And most of all, there was no way to take Jerro's head. It would have been nicer to go into more details about the characters' pasts, and for goodness sake, get rid of some of the used and reused dialogue options and put new ones there! And let them actually talk about recent events and get their advice. I don't want to cycle through the same text over and over. They should have worked more on the NPCs imo. There could have been more interaction and banters too I feel. Some were funny though.

All that said, I did enjoy the keep seige. It was worth seeing that my money made some difference. I found the one in NWN:SoU more interesting and enjoyable to be honest though... it was more indepth. NWN2's felt too rushed; there wasn't enough going on. Destroying the seige towers and repelling the gate was just... bland by itself. It's almost a shame you could not recruit the red dragon or the fire giants or more allies. My favourite part was just before the battle though when Elanee(sp) confessed her love for my character and the two of them... enjoyed a night together.

On the topic of dragons, I wish the dragon fights were more interesting though. And the Sword of Gith really made no difference in the end. That was an absolutely huge let down. It was so anti-climax.

It had a definite Kotor2 feel throughout the game I felt; I don't know if anyone else felt that way.
Calaethis Dragonsbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 09:11 AM   #6
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

I never got the construct to work for some reason. Could it have been because my influence with the short guy wasn't high enough?

I did have a KOTOR2 feel with it, both good and bad. Good because of the depth of (some) of the characters, bad because it just didn't feel finished at the end. Also, I felt that BG2's characters had more depth. I wouldn't have minded if this lot had initiated conversations a bit more. My "love affair" with the Elanee was a bit of a damp squib.

Old 01-03-2007, 12:38 PM   #7
Gabrielles blades
Baaz Draconian

Qara will side with you if sand sides with the KoS, so i assume it checks who you have a higher influence with sand or qara. In my second run through i lost bishop even with high influence, but i did manage to convince him to stay out of the fight. neeshka i managed to get back onto my side despite her capture.
Gabrielles blades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 12:58 PM   #8
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Calaethis, Qara betrayed you and you had a *17* influence with her? What was your influence with Sand? I'm curious for two reasons: One is because I've always though that the person in the Sand/Qara pair with the higher influence stays and the lower influence always betrays and if Sand is lower than 17 and Qara betrays that would be the first time I have ever heard of that. [img]smile.gif[/img] And secondly if you got Sand higher than a 17 in influence I would love to know how! I've got him at a 10 right now and I've can't think of a single negative point I've taken with him.

Memnoch, no it shouldn't be influenced based. You just need to find three components for Grobnar to fix the construct. That's it. In fact, you can GAIN influence with him by telling him "good job". [img]smile.gif[/img]

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 01:03 PM   #9
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by Gabrielles blades:
Qara will side with you if sand sides with the KoS, so i assume it checks who you have a higher influence with sand or qara. In my second run through i lost bishop even with high influence, but i did manage to convince him to stay out of the fight. neeshka i managed to get back onto my side despite her capture.
I've always thought (and everything i have read) confirms that the higher influence person stays, but Cael's post make me wonder if you actually have a CHOICE in the decision. I know that getting Qara to a 17 influence is definitely doable - in fact, I think 20 may be achievable; but I've never seen anyone with more than 11 or 12 points with Sand.

Bishop's a dirt bag so losing him shouldn't be any heartbreak. Even if Bishop fights against you - taking him down would be akin to setting the Bard CAIN on fire in the Battle of the Bards in Blacklake - OH SO MUCH FUN! lol

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 01:08 AM   #10
Calaethis Dragonsbane
Legion Symbol

Quote:
Originally posted by Micah Foehammer:
Calaethis, Qara betrayed you and you had a *17* influence with her? What was your influence with Sand? I'm curious for two reasons: One is because I've always though that the person in the Sand/Qara pair with the higher influence stays and the lower influence always betrays and if Sand is lower than 17 and Qara betrays that would be the first time I have ever heard of that. [img]smile.gif[/img] And secondly if you got Sand higher than a 17 in influence I would love to know how! I've got him at a 10 right now and I've can't think of a single negative point I've taken with him.
...70. I found a bug at the Moonstone Mask where the owner says that you're in good hands with Sand and if you agree, you get +1 influence with Sand. Now, I wanted to see what Sand said about "have you got a problem with Qara" and he would never speak of it in front of her, so I figured that I may as well as try and get Sand's influence reaaaaaaally high to see if he would. Unfortunately, it seems scripted that he won't. Watching Sand and Qara fight is fun.

In regards to Memnoch's post, I have very... mixed feelings about the influence system. As per Kotor2 it seems you must suck up and agree with your companions, appeasing them in order to influence them. I don't like that. It's very difficult to get them to see your point of view without flattering them.

Likewise with Elanee. It did make sense for my character's relationship with her I think, given he was a) a wood elf, and b) a ranger and he had somewhere in the regions of 26 influence with her (yes, he agreed with everything she said). Aside from Sand, which is a bit of a cheat, he had the highest influence with her out of all the other companions. I did think the fact there was no true build up to it or follow up was a bit poor. And given my character was really nice to Shandra only for... well, I felt that roleplaying wise, it was more likely he'd turn to the Druidess who had constantly offered him advice than any one else. Not that there were really any other options, which was kinda poor design too, I feel.

Construct was a bit of a let down, I felt. He did nothing, said nothing. He was like a mindless companion - which may have been the point, but... meh.

Edit:

Quote:
Originally posted by Micah Foehammer:
Bishop's a dirt bag so losing him shouldn't be any heartbreak. Even if Bishop fights against you - taking him down would be akin to setting the Bard CAIN on fire in the Battle of the Bards in Blacklake - OH SO MUCH FUN! lol
Ah yes, Bishop. I actually liked him on some level. He reminded me so much of a certain Sith in Kotor2 that it was uncanny. Especially the whole "protecting innocents" isn't actually doing them any favours bit. By taking their strength you deny them and whatnot. I felt they could have done more with him though. I was more annoyed that even with the oh-so-high influence of 4, I could not turn him back to my side. I'd have offered him freedom of his debts if he helped me defeat the KoS. But no such luck. Actually, I was more annoyed he walked off with my stuff. Although... I must say, I saw it coming a mile away, just as I suspected Shandra would fall.

People siding with the end boss and with you also had Kotor2 overtones to it. I believe that's what they wanted to happen originally with Handmaiden/Visas, Atton/Disciple.

And I hate Cain [img]smile.gif[/img] . I didn't actually realise you could set him on fire until I read it on the Bio boards... and that's my first aim for my latest game [img]smile.gif[/img] .

[ 01-04-2007, 01:25 AM: Message edited by: Calaethis Dragonsbane ]
Calaethis Dragonsbane is offline   Reply With Quote