Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-15-2001, 10:41 PM   #1
Bluestar
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I'm playing the game in insane mode right now and I'm a bit disappointed. It does not seem any more challenging than the other modes it just takes longer to kill things. I was under the impression that there were different monsters and such. Does anyone else feel the same way?

Bluestar
Bluestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2001, 07:15 AM   #2
Wulfere
Red Wizard of Thay

Nope never played insane mode. But from reading posts here you will find that the monsters are only tougher. Increased hit points and they save alot more.
They hit alot more and do more damage as well. I haven't been disappointed with IWD/HoW. I like it better than BG2 actually. The linear flow and not having morons asking you to do things they should do for themselves all the time is a nice change. Do you have Heart of Winter?

------------------
Wulfere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2001, 09:29 AM   #3
Bluestar
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Wulfere

Yes, I have HOW. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed IWD and HOW but I have to disagree with you about BG2. I thought BG2 was much more thought provoking. IWD is not much more than a slash and hack game. With BG2 I felt that I was really in a whole world not just a dungeon or a cave. For me, all the side quests in BG2 made me fell like I was part of a society. That was one of my favorite things about BG2.

Bluestar
Old 06-16-2001, 10:09 AM   #4
Leafy
Zhentarim Guard

I'm not so sure about Insane mode. but there are some extra monsters/NPCs in the Fury mode. several encounters have more creatures (like the final battle in the first cave outside of easthaven) and there's an extra mage apprentice in Dragon's eye. but all in all, it's not much of a change other than lower AC and higher HP
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2001, 10:39 AM   #5
Gaelic
Elminster

There is a definite difference between insane and Heart of Fury. Insane is still fairly easy for a party on its second time through, HoF I have only tried a taste of and OUCH!

------------------
Gaelic
Gaelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2001, 10:59 AM   #6
Bluestar
Elite Waterdeep Guard

How do I get to HoF mode? I have the difficulty bar all the way to the right and that is only Insane mode.

Bluestar
Old 06-16-2001, 11:40 AM   #7
Gaelic
Elminster

As I recall there is a selector block below that whole menue to set for HoF mode. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

------------------
Gaelic
Gaelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2001, 12:30 PM   #8
Mack_Attack
Osiris - Egyptian God of the Underworld

To get into the HOF mode you need to go into the confg part of the game. You get there going through IWD configuration utilty. YOU get there by going through the start and then through blak isle and then you can see it there. It is in the general area on the right hand side near the bottom. Be prepared to get a challenge. I like the insane still alright to play and you get more XP.

------------------

Give me Back my glasses.
Lord of the blind.
Mack_Attack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2001, 12:13 AM   #9
Lifetime
Red Dragon

I agree with Wolfwere. I like IWD better than BG2. I can't explain why but BG2 is just so powergamey..
Its like preferring the beautiful Unreal to the Brown-Grey superintense Quake 2

------------------
Why?
Lifetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2001, 06:24 PM   #10
Arquetal
Elite Waterdeep Guard

This HoF Mode... Is it only available with the Heart of Winter expansion installed? Cos I cant find it anywhere in the general section of the IWD configuration thingy. Or I could be blind.
Arquetal is offline   Reply With Quote