Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal

Old 02-15-2004, 04:46 PM   #1
krunchyfrogg
Red Dragon

Just wondering. I'd assume that it is, since people can solo this game as well.

I'm currently trying out a new party, and I think I'll advance in levels faster if I only use 4 NPCs. I'm considering adding a certain big fighter (no spoilers!) in ToB.

Anyway, here's my party:

1/2 Elf Ranger/Cleric
Jaheira (Romance)
Keldorn
Jan
Nalia

I think I'll add in all of the NPCs (at least for a short time) to do their sidequests.

Any comments about the party I've constructed are welcome, but I think it's pretty balanced, and I have a lot of bases covered. The only thing I regret is that I feel like I'll be missing out on a bunch of the cool weapons in the game (no one is proficient is axes, longswords, or longbows). I'll get over it, though. [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 02-15-2004, 04:49 PM: Message edited by: krunchyfrogg ]
Old 02-15-2004, 04:52 PM   #2
shamrock_uk
Dracolich

Yup, 5 NPC's will work fine. One of my games at the moment has between 3 - 5 NPC's at any one time. Finding him too difficult to solo with, but want reasonable level progressions so trying to keep the number down.

I assume you'll be using Jaheira to tank? If not, perhaps your party is a little fighter-light?

EDIT - wording

[ 02-15-2004, 04:53 PM: Message edited by: shamrock_uk ]
shamrock_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 04:59 PM   #3
Gangrell
Iron Throne Cult

First off, welcome to IW Krunchyfrogg [img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img]

Your party looks good so far, but I wouldn't recommend going with Nalia, as she really isn't very good in either of her classes. I would go with either Yosh or Aerie to replace her. You can either go with a solid spellcaster or a solid thief, but both of them are very useful in the beginning of the game, as is Aerie with her spellbook in her higher levels. I know you already have those classes without adding either of them, but it's your choice.

That's my 2 cents.
Gangrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 05:45 PM   #4
Zarr
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Gangrell:
First off, welcome to IW Krunchyfrogg [img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img]

Your party looks good so far, but I wouldn't recommend going with Nalia, as she really isn't very good in either of her classes.
I actually quite like Nalia, I find her to be a very underated NPC

Sure her thief skills are terrible but think of her as a mage that has slightly more hit points than a regular one and can use short bows. Also later in the game I've had Nalia have a -7 armour class using things like her signet ring, SOTM, Ioun stone, robe of venca and bracers of AC3. So considering her good armour class and her decent amount of hitpoints she's a mage that is harder to kill if they get caught out than say Edwin. Edwin may have more spells than Nalia but is much easier to kill than her. IMO they are both equally good mages...
Old 02-15-2004, 10:48 PM   #5
Nerull
Lord Ao

Quote:
Originally posted by krunchyfrogg:
Just wondering. I'd assume that it is, since people can solo this game as well.

I'm currently trying out a new party, and I think I'll advance in levels faster if I only use 4 NPCs. I'm considering adding a certain big fighter (no spoilers!) in ToB.

Anyway, here's my party:

1/2 Elf Ranger/Cleric
Jaheira (Romance)
Keldorn
Jan
Nalia

I think I'll add in all of the NPCs (at least for a short time) to do their sidequests.

Any comments about the party I've constructed are welcome, but I think it's pretty balanced, and I have a lot of bases covered. The only thing I regret is that I feel like I'll be missing out on a bunch of the cool weapons in the game (no one is proficient is axes, longswords, or longbows). I'll get over it, though. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Your party is fine. Pretty well rounded. 2 priests (you and Jaheira), 2 mages (Jan and Nalia), Jan as your thief (Nalia is not effective as a thief, but Jan keeps advancing, so you're fine), and 3 tanks (Keldorn as main tank, plus Jaheira and you as backups). And it leaves a slot open to add NPCs along the way like you said (and leaves some options open in ToB...).

Nalia is a solid mage for the party, and adds thief weapondry to boot (can't open a lock, but can shoot a bow just fine). She'll be fine for your party.
[img]\"ubb/noncgi/smiles/new/ghoul.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br />\"The middle class pays all of the taxes, does all of the work.<br />The lower class exists just to scare the middle class.\"<br />-George Carlin
Nerull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 12:28 AM   #6
krunchyfrogg
Red Dragon

Thanks for the replies!