Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 07-16-2001, 10:34 AM   #1
Curghann
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Hello, looking for a little bit of help concerning setting up a multiplayer game. Here's my current scenario.

Home network in my house, on cable modem, behind a linksys router. Myself and 2 other people on that network.

Friend in another state on DSL also behind a Linksys router. We have been been able, through port forwarding and setting DMZ hosts to get the friend in another state to connect to a hostinng machine on my network getting us all into the same game.

Problem we are running into is that the 2 people joining the hosting machine on my network can see each other and the character on the hosting machine in the game. The friend in another state can see the character on the hosting machine. The 2 on my network only see the character from the other character when the game starts up and his avatar never moves on their screens and the cannot see his chat text. He has the same problem for both of them.

We have messed around with just about every setting we can find in our respective routers, patched the games....we are at our wits end. Anyone have any kind of similar experience and know how to get this all working?

Thanks,
Curghann
Old 07-16-2001, 11:50 AM   #2
Reeka
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Do you have to go through the routers? I play multis and I guess I don't understand why you are doing all that if you don't have to. I host the multis I am in off my home computer. If you want e-mail me and we can discuss it some more. I guess I don't quite understand why you are doing what you are doing. Seems like it would be much easier to just host the game. Would like to try to help, e-mail me: Reeka@tgeweb.com

------------------
Order of the Holy Flame
Member of Clan HADB

Old 07-16-2001, 11:52 AM   #3
Troll Slayer
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I also have DSL and a LAN at my house. If I am understanding your problem correctly, it would seem that you do not have a static IP address for each of your machines at your house. That being the case, your friend out of state can connect (via through the router and hub) to only 1 machine at your house at a time. This is because all 3 of you at your house share 1 IP address. You each need to have your own static IP to all be able to play with each other. I know this is dissapointing, but usally a static IP costs about an extra $15 dollars per address in my area. Check with your ISP provider.

------------------
Best to remain silent and thought a fool, then to open ones mouth and remove all doubt
Old 07-16-2001, 02:15 PM   #4
Curghann
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Reeka,

I am using the routers because the router also serves as a firewall. I dont want anyone and everyone to have easy access to my network. But thanks for the thoughts.

TS - I understand what you are saying, but a multiplayer game has a host. The machine that game is running on, that all the other clients connect to. I have the router forwarding the port that BG2 plays on, to my machine on my LAN, and my friend from out of state can connect to the game, no problem. The people also on my LAN are connecting to the game also. The problem is lying with them not being able to see each other. The friend from out of state, shouldnt be doing any communicating with the other machines on my LAN, it should be getting all its game data from the hosting machine. Unfortunately, this is not the case. As far as I can tell, he shouldnt need to be connecting to the other machines on the LAN, hence I dont think the static IP address is the problem. But again, thanks for the thoughts.....

-Curghann